BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: B.C. is hotter than B.C.?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 05:26 PM
B.C. is hotter than B.C.?

When British Columbia has higher temperatures than Baja California, it is not good! I can't believe that at the end of June, Kamloops was hotter than San Felipe or Mexicali!

I have met a lot of folks from B.C., some of them are Nomads, and I am thinking of you guys now. Stay safe, and here's hoping for a cooling trend soon!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 07:19 PM

The heat dome seems to be dissipating a bit. Yesterday it was
48.5 C (119 F ) in the shade on my covered deck with very light breeze.

Air is thick w/forest fire smoke....

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 07:36 PM

Ged, I spent half my life in Northern CA, and I have never experienced any heat quite that high, but I did have to work in 107 F once....never again! What is a Kamloops summer usually like, and do you even need air conditioning?

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 07:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
What is a Kamloops summer usually like, and do you even need air conditioning?

At what temperatuure do you feel you need AC? It's a totally subjective thing. Plenty of people seem to "need" AC in the summer where I live just north of Puerto Vallarta, and claim you can't survive without it (in which case all the local Mexicans would be dead by now) but I exist just fine with fans.

When my daughter lived in Kelowna and I would go visit in the summer, I had to close the AC vent in the guest room because I was uncomfortably cold at the temp she found comfortable.

I read that the 121 degrees that Lytton registered was the hottest temp ever recorded on earth above 50 latitude N.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 08:13 PM

Even further north, Prudhoe Bay saw 80 F earlier this month. That is about 70 degrees north latitude. I worked there for three years and never saw it that warm!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

Global warming! Climate change! Addicted to oil! And half the world (and all of the GOP) denies it or say it is hopeless so not worth going to rehab!

What would Jesus do?

Jesus would stage an intervention and drag you addicts to rehab!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

willardguy
Elite Nomad

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
What is a Kamloops summer usually like, and do you even need air conditioning?

At what temperatuure do you feel you need AC? It's a totally subjective thing. Plenty of people seem to "need" AC in the summer where I live just north of Puerto Vallarta, and claim you can't survive without it (in which case all the local Mexicans would be dead by now) but I exist just fine with fans.

When my daughter lived in Kelowna and I would go visit in the summer, I had to close the AC vent in the guest room because I was uncomfortably cold at the temp she found comfortable.

I read that the 121 degrees that Lytton registered was the hottest temp ever recorded on earth above 50 latitude N.

what is it that brings you to a Baja forum?
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 08:40 PM

Ged, I spent half my life in Northern CA, and I have never experienced any heat quite that high, but I did have to work in 107 F once....never again! What is a Kamloops summer usually like, and do you even need air conditioning?

Summer temps can get into the 90's F for a week or two in an average summer.....this year is an anomalie ( but regular for climate changed future).

Housing here usually has air conditioning....older places not so much. I am sure glad I have it and set it to around 75F during such spells.

But have also been outside watering the gardens and working on my tan..... pretending I am somewhere in Baja.... :biggrin:

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 09:15 PM

since we are at the beginning of the planet getting warmer, the coming years will be interesting

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 09:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
since we are at the beginning of the planet getting warmer, the coming years will be interesting

global warming started 200 years ago, with beginning of industrial revolution. GHG emissions have been steadily increasing for 200 years now... :(

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2021 at 09:50 PM

The beginning??? 20,000 years ago the sea level was 400 feet lower. That is a huge number in a short time. What caused it to rise? Maybe the sun?

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 12:05 AM

Yep.... we are all frogs in that proverbial pot ....saying, "Geez, this ain't too bad...."

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 01:36 AM

Here’s a chart of current sea temps. Onshore the temps in BCS are running in the mid 60s most mornings because of the cold water offshore!

DDBD0605-E553-407D-BB10-6E581F24D154.jpeg - 233kB
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 05:42 AM

It was 42C in the bush on the west coast of Vancouver Island. I went through 4 gallons of water in 8 hours of working. Crazy heat! Two days later it was raining.
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 06:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

What would Jesus do?

He would smite you for being such an insufferable fool. 🤣

I like beer, better than most people.
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 09:58 AM

Surprised it wasn't mentioned already - the Canadian town in the record book officially has been pretty much razed in a wildfire during this heat dome event. Lytton BC. On Canada Day no less. Had overnighted back in january, it has always been a drive through, this time I made the detour off the highway. Very sad looking event.

[Edited on 7-2-2021 by white whale]

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2021 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

what is it that brings you to a Baja forum?

My daughter and family live in Baja, I have been there many times, as well as driven the length of the peninsula several times.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2021 at 12:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by white whale  
Surprised it wasn't mentioned already - the Canadian town in the record book officially has been pretty much razed in a wildfire during this heat dome event. Lytton BC.

Actually, it was mentioned in another thread.

Looks like BC (Canada) is getting plastered with lightning-caused wildfires right now.

Cool fire map

Ged, hope you aren't in the middle of a bunch of dry fuel... :O

[Edited on 7-3-2021 by lencho]

Fire last night at east end of town....no houses lost. I was at a good vantage point watching lightening strikes all over the place and saw that and another fire start north of town.

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/news/video-shows-lightning-strike-as-fire-burns-on-strawberry-hill-1.24337870

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/news/with-video-fire-between-valleyview-and-juniper-ridge-flares-up-again-1.24338120

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia

Air is thick with smoke. I posted earlier it was 48 C (118 F)in the shade two days ago.... over 100 F for past week or so....temps have started to drop....only 36 C (97 F) today.

Very dry..... very dangerous conditions......shared by some western states in similar conditions.

Appreciate the concern :saint:

[Edited on 7-3-2021 by motoged]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2021 at 06:11 AM

And here in Mexico it was so hot the ocean caught on fire
https://youtu.be/Xl0pljyC8dc

Woke!

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-3-2021 at 10:06 AM

maybe you guys could send us on the road to Ensenada a little of that warmth? been sweater weather here on the beach
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.