BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: B.C. is hotter than B.C.?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-17-2021 at 08:36 PM
Eat smart, stay healthy, reuse/conserve

A couple lessons to wrap up summer…

(1) Climate change: July world's hottest month ever recorded

July was the world's hottest month ever recorded, a US federal scientific and regulatory agency has reported.

The data shows that the combined land and ocean-surface temperature was 0.93C (1.68F) above the 20th Century average of 15.8C (60.4F).

It is the highest temperature since record-keeping began 142 years ago. The previous record, set in July 2016, was equalled in 2019 and 2020.

Experts believe this is due to the long-term impact of climate change.

In a statement, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said that July's "unenviable distinction" was a cause for concern.

"In this case, first place is the worst place to be," NOAA administrator Rick Spinrad said in a statement.

(2) Obesity Epidemic May Contribute to Climate Change

Rising obesity rates worldwide may be contributing to the climate crisis, researchers report.

"Our analysis suggests that, in addition to beneficial effects on morbidity, mortality and health care costs, managing obesity can favorably affect the environment as well," said study corresponding author Faidon Magkos, from the department of nutrition, exercise and sports at the University of Copenhagen, in Denmark.

Like other oxygen-dependent creatures, humans emit carbon dioxide that's produced by metabolic processes necessary to live, the scientists explained.

The amount of carbon dioxide -- a greenhouse gas -- produced by a species is determined by its average metabolic rate, average body size and the total number of individuals of the species.

Obese people produce more carbon dioxide than those of normal weight, the researchers said.

Obese people consume greater quantities of food and beverages that need to be produced and transported to them, and transportation of obese people requires more consumption of fossil fuels. This means higher carbon dioxide emissions related to food production and transportation for obese people, the study authors explained.

The researchers estimated that obesity contributes to an extra 700 megatons of carbon dioxide emissions per year worldwide, or about 1.6% of all human-caused emissions.

Overall, being obese is associated with about 20% more greenhouse gas emissions (carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide) than being a normal weight, according to the study published online Dec. 20 in the journal Obesity.

"This has important implications for all those involved in the management of obesity," Magkos added in a journal news release.

The researchers stressed that these findings should not lead to more stigmatization for obese people, who already face negative attitudes and discrimination.

Ted Kyle is founder of ConscienHealth, an organization that works to find sound approaches to health and obesity. "This study makes it clear that we pay a steep price for making it difficult to access care for obesity. Not only does obesity affect the health of the individuals who have it, untreated obesity might also contribute to environmental issues," said Kyle.

[Edited on 8-18-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-17-2021 at 08:51 PM

I am in Anchorage right now, and it has been cool and damp, with an occasional glimpse of the sun!

Last week Nome had it's earliest freezing temperature at 31 F.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2021 at 11:59 PM

Lytton Kamloops and Port Alberni are special cases up here, but this time around it spread out a lot wider. Don't think we can do much about a 20,000 year trend, so we might do better to learn to adapt than argue about how to reverse it. For what it's worth, tropical areas are supposed to rise less, so Baja might be more stable in the future than we are up here.

[Edited on 8-18-2021 by JDCanuck]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2021 at 01:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am in Anchorage right now, and it has been cool and damp, with an occasional glimpse of the sun!

Last week Nome had it's earliest freezing temperature at 31 F.

Japan is doing poorly too:
Japanese City Suffers Coldest Summer Temperature in 128-Years of Records, + Noctilucent Clouds Persist into August as the Atmosphere Continues to Cool
https://electroverse.net/japan-suffers-coldest-summer-temp-i...
The mercury plunged even lower overnight, as you’d expect — an astonishing 36.7F (2.61C) was logged early Thursday morning, Aug 11, according to local news station TV Asahi.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-18-2021 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

..... Don't think we can do much about a 20,000 year trend, so we might do better to learn to adapt than argue about how to reverse it. ....

That kinda sounds like the frog in the pot saying "Gee this pool is getting hotter.....put more ice in my next marg".

Reduction of influencing factors should be the first step, rather than a wardrobe change. :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2021 at 09:25 AM

We do what we can as individuals...I just have a problem with elite individuals who fly their private jet to receive a climate czar award and burn more jet fuel in one trip than i will in 20 years and then tell me I'm the problem.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-18-2021 at 10:10 AM

Bravo!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2021 at 10:22 AM

309: The number of private jets that flew into two Davos-area airports during the 2019 conference.

Heres the only common sense statement i saw that came out of Davos:
Davos attendees are frequently criticized for flying across the globe on private jets to discuss the perils of climate change, CNN Business reported. "I think it's very insane and weird that people come here in private jets to discuss climate change. It's not reasonable," Thunberg told CNN at Davos in 2019.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-18-2021 at 11:21 AM

We do what we can as individuals...I just have a problem with elite individuals who fly their private jet to receive a climate czar award and burn more jet fuel in one trip than i will in 20 years and then tell me I'm the problem.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Bravo!:light:

Ok, I understand why you are upset when rich people tell you something.
But plenty of poor and middle class people are telling you the same thing.
Stop being a dufus.

[Edited on 8-18-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2021 at 01:12 PM

Mtgoat: You entirely miss my point. The governments are telling us they are going to take our funds and redirect them to reduce overall carbon footprints. They have proven over the past decades they will actually take our funds and increase their own personal footprints while we could have used those same funds to accelerate our own footprint reduction.

At best, they have used the funds to relocate alternate energy production to their own constituencies from the areas they would otherwise have been manufactured generally at a higher cost to the end purchaser.

So what has actually been accomplished?
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2021 at 01:37 PM

A very good example of how those energy taxes are spent. This while raising duties and tariffs on cheaper imported solar panels from outside the US. Net effect: higher costs to the consumer and wasted taxes

https://nypost.com/2013/02/01/energy-secretary-chu-steps-dow...

[Edited on 8-19-2021 by JDCanuck]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2021 at 04:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

..... Don't think we can do much about a 20,000 year trend, so we might do better to learn to adapt than argue about how to reverse it. ....

That kinda sounds like the frog in the pot saying "Gee this pool is getting hotter.....put more ice in my next marg".

Reduction of influencing factors should be the first step, rather than a wardrobe change. :light:

Hi Motoged: Thats exactly my point. Rather than stay in the pot and slowly boil from a 20000 year trend of warming temps, arguing about who can possibly reduce the heat, jump out of the pot! Turning the heat from high to medium high isn't going to help a whole lot if it just keeps getting hotter anyway.

Glidergeek
Nomad

Mood: Moody

[*] posted on 8-18-2021 at 06:07 PM

Ok, I understand why you are upset when hypocrites' tell you something.

there I fixed it for you goat
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Hi Motoged: Thats exactly my point. Rather than stay in the pot and slowly boil from a 20000 year trend of warming temps, arguing about who can possibly reduce the heat, jump out of the pot! Turning the heat from high to medium high isn't going to help a whole lot if it just keeps getting hotter anyway.

No....you totally don't get my point. It appears you are suggesting to NOT make any efforts to address human contributions to climate change....and "adapt".

Maybe you could expand on your plan and help us better understand how to adapt while continuing to contribute to global warming effects.

I asked you a while ago what your agenda was on BN with your recent arrival. I see what it is now.

Enjoy your dinner with Gunkid and Jizzy.

Don't believe everything you think....
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2021 at 11:25 AM

Motoged: Not what I was saying at all. There are massive numbers of people looking at how to reduce the human contribution to climate change and I have stated in several posts a lot of headway has been made in the past 30 years. I CLEARLY stated we must all do our part as individuals, and I include myself in that effort. Hope this clears up that misunderstanding. Meantime, don't build a long term residence on the beach hoping the levels won't rise, and prepare to adapt to live in warmer temps.

But...a 20000 year trend of warming precedes man's contribution and even with negating all of man's contributions it may very well continue in the same direction.

[Edited on 8-21-2021 by JDCanuck]
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-21-2021 at 11:44 AM

JDC,

Those “Climate Change is all man made” Liberals never seem to answer when you point out that sea levels have risen 350’ over the last 20K years!

FYI, take a look at the satellite sea temp map. The sea temps are actually lower than normal around N. America!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.