Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: California Gold
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2021 at 01:02 PM
California Gold

Took a solo backpacking trip into a favorite Sierra lake of mine in search of California's state fish, the golden trout. Spent two nights, never saw another human, it was wonderful. So was the fishing.

Crossing the outlet creek, it's lower than I've ever seen it!

Still, decent size trout for this tiny creek still hang in there.

An old structure along the way, no hearth, so I assume it was some kind of winter storage for packers or cowboys running cattle?

Arrival at my destination, 11,000 feet above the Sea of Cortez.

My humble campsite.

I was hoping the blue damselfly hatch was going, and it was. I learned a few years ago what gets these trout going when the hatch is on, so I brought a few of the only fly I knew I would need. I only needed one.

And the results.

I probably released close to 40 trout in just a few hours over a day and a half. Best fishing I've ever had at this lake and nary another person to bother me the entire time. Only saw people on the return hike when I hit the main trail back to the trailhead.

John

[Edited on 7-9-2021 by John Harper]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2021 at 01:34 PM

Looks relaxing and peaceful.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-9-2021 at 05:14 PM

Beautiful!!!:bounce::light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2021 at 05:56 PM

Huell Howser on the PBS show California's Gold. " Do you mean to tell me you caught those fish out of that lake"
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-9-2021 at 07:15 PM

Huell Houser: "Well lookie there, hey Louie, lets get a picture of that!"

Great adventure and I did that in my youth, climb up to the upper lakes and look for Goldens. Don't recall being as successful as you though. Even in summer it got below freezing. How cold did it get at night?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2021 at 09:21 PM

Looks amazing John, thank you for sharing. Amazing how good nature can be for the soul.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 07:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Huell Houser: "Well lookie there, hey Louie, lets get a picture of that!"

Great adventure and I did that in my youth, climb up to the upper lakes and look for Goldens. Don't recall being as successful as you though. Even in summer it got below freezing. How cold did it get at night?

Not that cold, low to mid 40's. There was an intermittent 30-40 mph wind that blew most the time. Just had to hunker down when it blew and get back to fishing during the lulls when it glassed off and the damsels got active, which drew the fish close in.

Yes, one of the upper lakes has some really nice fish, I've hooked a few.

John
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 08:00 AM
Elevation

11,000 ft is really high. I can't take the elevation anymore. Stayed at about 7,000 ft for a week a month ago and really labored. Those goldens are worth real beauties though. But that high?? I guess I'll just have to rely on my memories.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by watizname  
11,000 ft is really high. I can't take the elevation anymore. Stayed at about 7,000 ft for a week a month ago and really labored. Those goldens are worth real beauties though. But that high?? I guess I'll just have to rely on my memories.

Go north young man! At this time of year in Alaska, you can get that high alpine experience at much lower elevation, and an extra four or five hours of daylight as a bonus!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 02:38 PM

Beautiful fish. As colorful as a SOC golden dorado!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Go north young man! At this time of year in Alaska, you can get that high alpine experience at much lower elevation, and an extra four or five hours of daylight as a bonus!

Too many mosquitos Alaska.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 06:56 PM

Well, I'm 63 and grateful I can still do these things. Had a good buddy drop dead of a stroke a month ago, life is short. I am considering getting an InReach as I continue to go off on adventures solo with little notice as to my whereabouts. I did two weeks in Wyoming after this trip, almost all of it well removed from easy contact.

John
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2021 at 09:25 PM

I've only caught goldens in Raymond lake but hope to change that next year with retirement. Those were some big goldens. Thanks for posting.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2021 at 05:25 AM

John: curious what size rod you used at the lake? Did you wet wade or stay on the shore?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2021 at 05:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
John: curious what size rod you used at the lake? Did you wet wade or stay on the shore?

7 1/2 foot 3 weight. I waded out onto the grass, using wading socks and some Crocs. Not a lot of obstructions behind so backcast from shore rarely and issue. The fish were cruising close and most were caught sight fishing. Used a parachute blue damselfly pattern.

John
fishinsteve
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2021 at 07:05 AM

An amazing fish the Golden Trout. I miss the high sierras.
Thanks for sharing.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-12-2021 at 09:33 AM

I only fished goldens once, treasure lake out of bishop. your fish are monsters compared to the dinks we caught! beautiful fish though:coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2021 at 09:53 AM

John: without revealing too much info, heh, were you in the Kern River drainage?
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2021 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Well, I'm 63 and grateful I can still do these things. Had a good buddy drop dead of a stroke a month ago, life is short. I am considering getting an InReach as I continue to go off on adventures solo with little notice as to my whereabouts. I did two weeks in Wyoming after this trip, almost all of it well removed from easy contact.

I could still do it at 63-11 years ago, but not anymore. Keep it up as long as you can, and enjoy. Take lots of photos, so those of us unable to keep up can enjoy it vicariously. Thanks.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2021 at 08:19 AM

I've started using a Tenkara rod for some of the small streams, it works really good and is super simple set up. It's very lite and small for packing as well, works like a fly rod without the reel. Hope to catch a few of these with it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.