BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: How to stay well/not get sick?
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 07:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Maybe staying home would be less stressful. You seem to be over-reacting to your fear.

Over reacting to my fear? hmm...I am fearful yes, but over reacting to my fears is not accurate.I am an anxious person and I have not traveled in a long time as I raised my kids on my own. I am trying to do new things.
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Janix  
...as I raised my kids on my own.
For someone who succeeded in raising a batch of kids on your own, Mexico should be a piece of cake... :lol:

Damn, you make a very good point. Thanks! I'm a confident, experienced, strong mother and a fearful, anxious, out of practice traveler. Thanks for the reminder that I am actually strong and resilient.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 09:53 PM

You will be fine. The actual on the ground experiences will be light years different than the imagined ones in you head. Go, have a good time and don't let anxiety get the best of you.

If you find yourself in San Felipe, 100 miles south of Mexicali, and have issues, drop me a line, I know the town well and am always around.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-19-2021 at 01:30 AM

I am trying to do new things.

Well then, you're gonna love fish and/or shrimp tacos ! :light:

Can't say you've been to Baja without standing by a street cart or small stand with a taco dripping down your wrist :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2021 at 02:04 AM

Over reacting to my fear? hmm...I am fearful yes, but over reacting to my fears is not accurate.I am an anxious person and I have not traveled in a long time as I raised my kids on my own. I am trying to do new things.

Have fun. Come back and start a thread and tell us how you made out.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2021 at 09:37 AM

Carry bottled water in your vehicle. I live in Baja 6 months out of the year and cook everything with bottled water. When eating out you are at greater risk from food that doesn't get cooked well. Last year I got the 'squirts' from ceviche sold by one vendor but no problem from others. Ceviche in Mexico is usually marinated for less than an hour.

There are different levels of getting 'sick'. In most cases there's just a lot of growling of growling and farting for a day or two and not much else.

[Edited on 7-19-2021 by Skipjack Joe]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-19-2021 at 09:47 AM

having 5 gallons of clean water with you can also be handy for other uses.
1st aid [cleaning wounds] , and helping motorists who have leaking/damaged cooling systems.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2021 at 10:37 AM

Always eat a roasted hot pepper with any street food.
Its a Ying & Yang thing that works for me.

Es Todo Bueno
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-19-2021 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

and squeeze those limes:yes:
pacificobob
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-19-2021 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

and squeeze those limes:yes:

i am of the opinion that citrus juice goes a long ways towards preventing nasty bacteria cultures getting a foothold in the GI tract. a small change in PH can make the difference.

[Edited on 7-19-2021 by pacificobob]
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2021 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
You will be fine. The actual on the ground experiences will be light years different than the imagined ones in you head. Go, have a good time and don't let anxiety get the best of you.

If you find yourself in San Felipe, 100 miles south of Mexicali, and have issues, drop me a line, I know the town well and am always around.

thanks ever so much!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-20-2021 at 09:40 AM

Maybe staying home would be less stressful. You seem to be over-reacting to your fear.

my thoughts as well. why do something voluntarily that results in acute anxiety.
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

my thoughts as well. why do something voluntarily that results in acute anxiety.

1) Because I have suffered from anxiety my whole life and if you avoid doing things because you're scared, your world becomes VERY small, very quickly. I chose to voluntarily do it because I want to continue to have more life experiences. Perhaps for those who don't get anxiety that is hard to understand, I don't know. If I avoided everything that makes me anxious I'd always stay home.

2) I also wanted to spend time with my dear friend who is unable to cross the US border because she does not have a passport or visitors visa yet.

I think those are 2 excellent reasons to push through the fear, personally :)
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Carry bottled water in your vehicle. I live in Baja 6 months out of the year and cook everything with bottled water. When eating out you are at greater risk from food that doesn't get cooked well. Last year I got the 'squirts' from ceviche sold by one vendor but no problem from others. Ceviche in Mexico is usually marinated for less than an hour.

There are different levels of getting 'sick'. In most cases there's just a lot of growling of growling and farting for a day or two and not much else.

[Edited on 7-19-2021 by Skipjack Joe]

It was very interesting to see all of the Chinese restaurants! I googled it and learned about how so many Chinese moved there for various reasons. I was surprised. Thanks for your input!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 04:32 PM

We still take Ducoral every couple years and there is a probiotic drink we found useful in little white bottles available in Chedraui stores. Worked for me (i think)a few years back when a friend and I both ate the same salads and he refused to try it as he was a seasoned traveler. He was always running off to the next washroom for the last couple days.

[Edited on 7-24-2021 by JDCanuck]
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 11:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
We still take Ducoral every couple years and there is a probiotic drink we found useful in little white bottles available in Chedraui stores. Worked for me (i think)a few years back when a friend and I both ate the same salads and he refused to try it as he was a seasoned traveler. He was always running off to the next washroom for the last couple days.

oh man, it's not something I ever want to deal with when I'm on the road. I imagine probiotic pills are great for these kind of trips. I have never heard of Ducoral. Thanks for sharing
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2021 at 07:03 AM

Sorry i misspelled it. Dukoral is an anti cholera oral vaccine available in Canada without prescription that is commonly taken before traveling and prevents the symptoms caused by some e-coli contaminants in water and food. Boosters required every couple years.
https://dukoralcanada.com/

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2021 at 07:46 AM
Prebiotic drinks

I think the Chedraui bottled drink was based on the traditional Tepache drink so common in Mexico. Very tasty lightly fermented white in color and sold commonly at small stands where we bought tacos etc. Apparently it has been made in Mexico since pre Spanish days and can be made at home if you have the free time. Best thirst quenching drink we found down there on our travels.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-24-2021 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
We still take Ducoral

Ducarol was useless when battling end-of-the-day carnitas in Michoacan.... :O

Don't believe everything you think....
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2021 at 09:23 AM

Personally, have never had a problem in Mexico or the US, but can't say the same with some of the local chile's. Amazing how fast that stuff can hit you.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.