Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The Vaquita habitat is no longer protected - will go extinct
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2021 at 09:02 AM
The Vaquita habitat is no longer protected - will go extinct

I read today that the Mexican government will not be enforcing fishing and boating restrictions in the areas where vaquita live. Whatever is left of any regulations is totally ineffective to prevent the vaquita from becoming extinct.
This is a very sad day.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2021 at 10:33 AM

Here’s a link to the story. Looks like they’re done for. Who’s next?

Open SmartNews and read "Vaquita marina: Mexico abandons fishing-free zone for rare endangered porpoise" here: https://share.smartnews.com/7XiQR

To read it on the web, tap here: https://share.smartnews.com/69daf
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-15-2021 at 12:08 PM

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mexico-gives-up-on-maintain...

Sad!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 08:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
"The government’s most recent analysis seems to accept the probability that the tiny porpoise species can never return to its original range of habitat... The inter-agency group of Mexican federal officials met Friday to consider recommending opening the Gulf of California to legal fishing of the totoaba, which was also placed on Mexico’s endangered species list in 1975. The animal’s dried swim bladder is considered a delicacy in China and can yield thousands of dollars... 'This agenda is focused on maintaining the status quo and abandoning the vaquita marina and returning to fishing for totoaba,' said Alex Olivera, the Mexico representative for the Center for Biological Diversity. 'It is disappointing that this administration has ruined everything that had been done' in a decade-long fight to save the tiny porpoise. The head of Mexico’s environmental ministry said once the protected area for the vaquita is reduced, the agency would consider lifting the ban on gillnets in some of the Gulf of California, also known as the Sea of Cortez. 'The possibility of modifying the area of prohibition of all gillnets is being studied,' said María Luisa Albores González, the head of Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT, for its initials in Spanish). 'There are sufficient technical studies that point to a possible reduction of the polygon (protected area) according to the recent distribution of the vaquita porpoise in the area.'"

March 16, 2021
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/border-baja-califo...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 09:28 PM

They vacquita will go extinct, because people want to make a buck off fishing totoaba.
The totoaba will then soon got extinct (it is already endangered).
Vacquita to be sacrificed so they can fish for totoaba for a year or two before totoaba goes extinct too.

Just keep destroying the sea of Cortez! Soon all that will be left is jellyfish and crap fish no one will eat!

[Edited on 7-17-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 11:07 PM

don't worry about the Totoaba
has ben farmed for years
big money behind it - very big money

Harald Pietschmann
surfinggrandpa71
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 02:15 PM
Pacifico Beer letting vaquitas die.

So I’ve been seeing all these Pacifico beer commercials in the USA. All very environmentally based shots, captions saying pacifico is saving hiking trails , keeping water clean , etc

Yet in Pacifico’s home country of Mexixo they don’t do a darn thing but turn their back and money on the vaquita dolphin It was announced this week that the vaquita will become extinct and that efforts to save it will stop. Throw a few million at this Pacifico. Or are you only I retested in getting gringo bucks ??? Boycotting Pacifico/Modelo.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 02:29 PM

Pacifico's already got enough problems.....
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mazatlan-turns-off-water-to...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 05:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfinggrandpa71  
So I’ve been seeing all these Pacifico beer commercials in the USA. All very environmentally based shots, captions saying pacifico is saving hiking trails , keeping water clean , etc

Yet in Pacifico’s home country of Mexixo they don’t do a darn thing but turn their back and money on the vaquita dolphin It was announced this week that the vaquita will become extinct and that efforts to save it will stop. Throw a few million at this Pacifico. Or are you only I retested in getting gringo bucks ??? Boycotting Pacifico/Modelo.

Support small business! Don’t buy beers made by mega corporations!
(And if you are in the USA, then buy American!)

Woke!

del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by surfinggrandpa71  

Support small business! Don’t buy beers made by mega corporations!
(And if you are in the USA, then buy American!)

noooo....everyone knows if you want to be a serious baja hipster aficionado you have to pop the yellow caps.....:lol:
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Why is Pacifico and not Tecate or Corona named? One of the more ridiculous Nomad posts, unless I missed the hidden message here?

Corona is a Groupo Modelo product.......yeah its silly to blame Pacifico for Vaquita's demise:no:
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 07:34 PM

Not a hidden message. Pacifico is the one with the TV ad that states they're partnering with Conservation Alliance to preserve and protect rivers, mountains, wildlife, etc. Very compelling and it made an impression on me (!) because I know Pacifico is very popular in the US, so I thought, oh good, a lot more money for conservation.
But I think the OP has a good point - maybe pressure Conservation Alliance and Pacifico to help the Vaquita. Nobody "blaming" Pacifico for Vaquita demise, but contrary to their message - it's happening in their home country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YfpxFDXgmM
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Not a hidden message. Pacifico is the one with the TV ad that states they're partnering with Conservation Alliance to preserve and protect rivers, mountains, wildlife, etc. Very compelling and it made an impression on me (!) because I know Pacifico is very popular in the US, so I thought, oh good, a lot more money for conservation.
But I think the OP has a good point - maybe pressure Conservation Alliance and Pacifico to help the Vaquita. Nobody "blaming" Pacifico for Vaquita demise, but contrary to their message - it's happening in their home country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YfpxFDXgmM

Sadly, when companies advertise their altrusitic donations, their Donations are often less than their ad expenditures for touting such donations :(

Woke!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 08:04 PM

I sent my email to Conservation Alliance.
The both of them could team up and do a TV ad just to put a spotlight on the situation, and (if and when IN FACT TRUE), say, "we're doing this, doing that. The both of them could show up in town, and have an education forum in the streets (sponsored by - festive, plenty of Pacifico product), film interviews, fishing practices, etc.
C'mon, an email blast might help.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 08:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
I sent my email to Conservation Alliance.
The both of them could team up and do a TV ad just to put a spotlight on the situation, and (if and when IN FACT TRUE), say, "we're doing this, doing that. The both of them could show up in town, and have an education forum in the streets (sponsored by - festive, plenty of Pacifico product), film interviews, fishing practices, etc.
C'mon, an email blast might help.

Pacifico is just a brand under AB InBev mega conglomerate. AB is annheiser Busch, one of the monsters that owned sea world. AB cares more about profits than animal welfare (see Blackfish). AB will not react until publicly shamed. The vacquita and wildlife do not register on their radar. Don’t be fooled by advertising.

(P.s. sea world is now owned by chinese firm. If you love animals/whales and America, you will not give $ to sea world.)

[Edited on 7-18-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 08:22 PM

LOYT
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 08:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
don't worry about the Totoaba
has ben farmed for years
big money behind it - very big money

Totoaba, circa Dec 2019.

mexico-totoaba-fishermen-1200.jpg - 198kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

MEXICO CITY (AP) — The conservationist group Sea Shepherd said Friday that two fishermen were injured off Mexico’s Baja California coast when they rammed their small boat into a larger vessel used by the group in efforts to protect the endangered vaquita porpoise.

The attack is the latest round in an escalating spiral of protests by fishermen who use banned gill nets in the Gulf of California, the only place the vaquita is found. Only as few as a dozen vaquitas are believed to remain, making them the world’s most endangered marine mammal.

Fishing nets confiscated by Sea Shepherd vessels are expensive, so fishermen often harass the conservationists’ boats to try to get them back. The fishermen claim they have not received compensation from the Mexican government for lost fishing income. Groups representing fishermen were not immediately available to comment.

Sea Shepherd said its vessel, the Farley Mowat, was pulling illegal gill nets out of the waters of the gulf, also known as the Sea of Cortez, on Thursday when people on a group of about a half dozen small, open fishing boats began tossing gasoline bombs at the vessel, setting the bow and another part of the ship afire.

The attackers also threw lead net weights at the crew, the group said.

It released a video showing one fishing boat approaching the Farley Mowat at high speed and slamming into the side of the vessel.

Two of the boat’s occupants were pulled from the water by Sea Shepherd crew members and Mexican marines, who usually accompany the crew on such trips. One was given resuscitation, because he wasn’t breathing, and both were taken by the navy to a hospital.

Mexico’s navy confirmed the injuries occurred in a “collision,” and distributed photos of the men being flown in a helicopter for treatment, but did not provide details on their condition.

Two other men boarded the Farley Mowat and threatened the crew and marines, the group said.

“This morning’s attack is the latest in a series of increasingly violent assaults launched against Sea Shepherd’s ships over the past month,” Sea Shepherd’s statement said. “Assailants have hurled Molotov c-cktails, knives, hammers, flares, bottles of fuel, and other deadly projectiles at the vessels, crew, and military personnel on board. No serious injuries have occurred prior to today’s incident.”

Sea Shepherd works closely with Mexican authorities on the net-removal effort, but fishermen have become increasingly unafraid of confronting marines and sailors.

The vaquita population has been dramatically reduced by illegal net fishing for the totoaba, whose swim bladders can sell for thousands of dollars in China.

https://www.borderreport.com/regions/mexico/fishermen-attack...

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
7-17-2021 at 08:39 PM
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 08:37 AM

JUNE 2013 Constellation Brands Inc., Victor, N.Y., announced that it completed its acquisition of Grupo Modelo's U.S. beer business from Anheuser-Busch InBev, Leuven, Belgium, for approximately $4.75 billion. The transaction includes full ownership of Crown Imports LLC, which provides Constellation with complete, independent control of all aspects of the U.S. commercial business; ….
The Crown portfolio includes Corona Extra, Corona Light, Modelo Especial, Negra Modelo, Pacifico and Victoria from Mexico as well as Tsingtao from China. ….

10-7-09 Anheuser-Busch InBev said Wednesday that it will sell its theme park business -- including the Sea World and Busch Gardens parks nationwide -- to buyout firm Blackstone Group for up to $2.7 billion.
3-24-17 Steve Schwarzman’s Blackstone Group is swimming away from SeaWorld after eight years with a nice profit — while not necessarily improving the business, sources told The Post.
Blackstone bought SeaWorld in 2009 — putting down $1 billion in equity. … China theme park operator Zhonghong Group is buying Blackstone’s remaining 21 percent stake in SeaWorld, it was announced. Zhonghong plans to build SeaWorlds in China, and will pay SeaWorld licensing fees,

In May 2019, Zhonghong Group defaulted on its loans which were secured by Seaworld common stock. The company turned its shares over to its lenders. Thus Seaworld terminated its agreements for park development with the group.

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment is a wholly owned subsidiary of SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc., a publicly traded company. We own or license a portfolio of recognized brands including SeaWorld®, Busch Gardens® and Sea Rescue®. Over our more than 50-year history, we have built a diversified portfolio of 12 destination and regional theme parks that are grouped in key markets across the United States
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:02 AM

They just made it official. The buchero cartel
in San Filipe have been openly gill netting totuaba the whole time.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.