Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: The Vaquita habitat is no longer protected - will go extinct
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 10:51 AM
Reaching a DEAD End.

The demise of the Vaquita has been inevitable for years now. Once they're gone, just move on.

As to Beer Boycotting ............................ do as I do.

Drink Stella Artois, Guinness and Heineken.
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 11:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
I read today that the Mexican government will not be enforcing fishing and boating restrictions in the areas where vaquita live. Whatever is left of any regulations is totally ineffective to prevent the vaquita from becoming extinct. This is a very sad day.

This is really sad news...

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 01:02 PM

Yes, it IS "sad". But remember to keep in mind that, "Over 99.0% of the organisms that have lived on Earth have gone extinct over time".
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 02:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Yes, it IS "sad". But remember to keep in mind that, "Over 99.0% of the organisms that have lived on Earth have gone extinct over time".

May be so Barry, but not deliberately by the hand of man.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 02:55 PM

Dodo Bird and wooly mammoth may be examples. Tasmanian Devils, too?

Nobody wants good things (like a cute porpoise) to become extinct. Why were there so few of them before man's actions? Sometimes Nature has its own way of dealing with things and we humans may vanish, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Sometimes Nature has its own way of dealing with things and we humans may vanish, too!

There is no such thing as Nature!!!!

I wish you would remember that. Nature is a concept. You and I are ‘Nature’.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 04:31 PM

Hey dk you do realize that the cause of the vaquita demise is illegal gill netting of totuava for their bladders right? Yes ok and that these bladders are sold to china as another supposed remedy to the endless chinese impotency problem right? That don´t sound like natural order to me:light:.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 04:54 PM

Hey chip, I never said those things were good. I love Nature and the animal kingdom... When I go to Baja, it is to get away from most people and get closer to Nature. The vaquita was obviously already low in numbers before people. It was a noble attempt to save the cuties, but the effort was not successful. Can you accept that sometimes things just don't work out the way it should or the way we want?
:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 05:12 PM

Yes I can accept that and you are right about their low numbers before but the "natural" poaching is what is turning low numbers into extinction:light:.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Sometimes Nature has its own way of dealing with things and we humans may vanish, too!

There is no such thing as Nature!!!!

I wish you would remember that. Nature is a concept. You and I are ‘Nature’.

Must be Beer Thirty?

My definition:
NATURE: The NATURAL order of things, naturally occurring, etc.
The word 'Nature' is good also, because if I said God instead, the libs would have a meltdown, LOL!

If you mean God then use the word that you mean. Otherwise you're displaying your ignorance. And since when do you worry about the libs having a meltdown. For you that's a badge of honor.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2021 at 07:31 AM

If we don't know the vaquita numbers over the past 300 years or so (before mankind came into the picture in a big way), and compare the "after" effects of mankind's irresponsible, exploitive actions aimed at vaquita, then the argument that it's the natural order of things is feckless. When mankind is the steward of all things on the planet, and all things on the planet serve some purpose for the greater good, then it is mankind's moral responsibility to at least not completely destroy a species in its stewardship. Ignorance of a species' contribution and function within "nature" is no excuse. When the demise is for money, even more despicable. Instead of taking pride to increase the numbers of vaquita, they chose to destroy it. Shameful. The "natural" order is not natural when mankind deliberately chooses to destroy and doesn't even give nature (i.e., defenseless, helpless fauna, flora, insect, marine species) a chance.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 01:53 AM

This seems appropriate.

245178598_4605976576129545_6380893326215785959_n.jpg - 67kB
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 11:59 AM

Could the totoaba have ever been farmed? Or could it now?

Is it doomed once again to extinction?

Thanks to this daily relief valve, we all can get a little taste of what we miss when are not south of the border.

Just asking.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
Could the totoaba have ever been farmed? Or could it now?

Is it doomed once again to extinction?

Thanks to this daily relief valve, we all can get a little taste of what we miss when are not south of the border.

Just asking.

these fish are very successfully farmed, the totoava you see on restaurant menus are farmed fish (allegedly) what I don't get is if the Chinese love these bladders so much why don't they just farm their own:?:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2021 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
I read today that the Mexican government will not be enforcing fishing and boating restrictions in the areas where vaquita live. Whatever is left of any regulations is totally ineffective to prevent the vaquita from becoming extinct. This is a very sad day.

Here's a recent news article: En busqueda de ejemplares de la vaquita marina

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.