BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Juanico Beaches Closed, others as well?
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 04:23 PM
San Juanico Beaches Closed, others as well?

The government has closed San Juanico beaches to surfing, camping, etc. today due to the Covid outbreak. There were extra cops brought in to enforce it. They were telling surfers it will be at least a week. The rumor in town is a few weeks. Does anyone know if Abre and other beaches to the north are also closed?

Thank you in advance for keeping this thread to actual information about beach closures, and not to a discussion of the merits of the closures, whether Covid is real and if space aliens voted in the last election.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 04:36 PM

the town beach is closed here in Asuncion but folks just go to beaches a bit out of town. A new mandate was brought in a couple days ago for a new lockdown....no gatherings, no sporting events, curfew at 10, booze sales stop at 6, take out food only, masks of course, no kids in stores and no visitors from the outside...sucks.
We are fortunate to have NO covid cases here at the moment unlike most other places that have a new surge in cases.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 04:36 PM

You may have to go to breaks that are away from towns. Probably a good idea anyway, considering the virus.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
jamiec
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 04:47 PM

I'd imagine that this should apply to all of the cities within Mulege but then again, who knows.

See #9

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 05:14 PM

Thanks for the intel everybody. Any Abre reports?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 05:51 PM

on paper all beaches in BCS are closed until further notice.
of course due to lack of manpower it is not enforced on all beaches
lotsa less popular beaches in BCS can be enjoyed until you start publishing the location
please don't
I had a wonderful beach day yesterday in the La Paz area
no other visitors
no police

the "how long" question
as you may have noticed since last year, governments break the bad news to you in tiny bites
closed for 3 months sounds so discouraging
2 weeks sounds so hopeful

we can only speculate how long this closure will last
since we have double the infections and deaths compared to last July I think, we might look at long closures this time

Harald Pietschmann
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-16-2021 at 06:55 PM
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-16-2021 at 08:41 PM

Everybody:
Go get vaccinated!
No excuse not to!

[Edited on 7-17-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 04:56 AM

I talked to the police commandante yesterday and he said beach closures in San Juanico were until further notice. There is no current time frame. How long the closures last will be based solely on the when the current covid outbreak gets under control.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2021 at 06:21 AM

The more people vaccinated, the shorter the likely closure.

It does not take a rocket scientist to solve this one.

John
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 10:54 AM

This 2 week mandate is just for Bahia Asuncion...a meeting was held of the fishing cooperatives and certain chosen business owners to establish these preventative measures...but I see lots of visitors in town and the carnitas guy from Vizcaino set up this morning.
Hotels etc in Mulege are full full full & other places in the municipality or county of Mulege are open. We have no cases here in Asuncion.

Quote: Originally posted by jamiec  
I'd imagine that this should apply to all of the cities within Mulege but then again, who knows.

See #9

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 11:46 AM

It seems to me that so many of us were hoping the C19 pandemic was possibly being managed through intelligent and informed behaviours encouraged by scientific and medical evidence. However, the rush to "normal" conditions has scuttled gains made in so many ways.

It is sort of a deja vu all over again..... we all have had experience of some form of efforts to reduce viral transmission.... so it's not news of how we should continue to behave to reduce transmission.

Problem is that the anti-vaxxer folks and their ilk are too large a percentage to expect effective transmission reductions in the foreseeable future The Darwinian selection approach is unfortunately a slow one.... and with the political overtones (especially in USA) contaminating sound medical/social responses, I do not think the recent "return to normal" rush has been prudent .... regardless of how much we want it.

Saying that, I really think responsible non-full-time residents of Baja should respect Baja and its folks enough to simply and totally stay out of Baja until the transmission risks are better controlled.

But the myopic and selfish unfortunately don't demonstrate that level and respect.

If you really love Baja.....don't go there at this time.

Get your shots, wear a mask when prudent, and hang on to your shorts until the variants aren't running the world.

An ugly but important truth that some won't accept. Some responses below will demonstrate the validity of my view.

Don't believe everything you think....
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 01:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
It seems to me that so many of us were hoping the C19 pandemic was possibly being managed through intelligent and informed behaviours encouraged by scientific and medical evidence. However, the rush to "normal" conditions has scuttled gains made in so many ways.

IMHO, it's the one, two punch of the opening up of the economy and then the delta variant that is causing the rise in infections. Opening up made sense to me prior to the delta variant hitting.

The current infection rate in the US is 13% of the peak infection rate.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-m...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 01:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
the devastating economic impact of no tourist income

Lock downs don't work past the initial phase of allowing the health care system to ramp up. The WHO has said as much. They pointed out lock downs negatively impact poorer countries much more.

It's really sad and selfish that some ppl who don't need to make money because they are living off govt. funding don't give a crap about how other ppl put food on their tables.

Get vaccinated. Go to Baja and support the locals.

[Edited on 7-18-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 02:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Saying that, I really think responsible non-full-time residents of Baja should respect Baja and its folks enough to simply and totally stay out of Baja until the transmission risks are better controlled.

But the myopic and selfish unfortunately don't demonstrate that level and respect.

If you really love Baja.....don't go there at this time.

Get your shots, wear a mask when prudent, and hang on to your shorts until the variants aren't running the world.

We definitely wouldn't go to Baja now, but we're trying to plan a trip to Todos Santos in February 2022 and only have today's data as a barometer. :?:

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Maybe.

The number of breakthrough cases we're seeing makes it pretty clear that vaccination does not prevent you from being a hazard to the locals; I think it's a little more complicated than you paint it.

The breakthrough cases have given me pause about "getting back to normal". My wife and I are fully vaccinated, but Cape Cod tourist crowds are swarming over the bridge knowing that masks are no longer required and that the Cape is "safe". We're still minimizing our trips out in public, do food shopping on weekday mornings instead of weekend afternoons, do most of our other shopping online, etc.

I want to support the Baja economy, but I don't want to unwittingly get anyone (including myself) sick. Last winter, instead of visiting, we bought a painting from one of our favorite artists in Todos Santos. It was an inadequate, but necessary (IMHO) substitution given the circumstances.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 02:58 PM

Maybe.

The number of breakthrough cases we're seeing makes it pretty clear that vaccination does not prevent you from being a hazard to the locals; I think it's a little more complicated than you paint it.

No maybe.

From the CDC website:

- Studies show that COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19. Getting a COVID-19 vaccine will also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19.

- Fully vaccinated people have a reduced risk of transmitting COVID-19 to unvaccinated people.

- If you are fully vaccinated, you can resume activities that you did before the pandemic.

Follow the science. Don't spread misinformation.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 04:06 PM

Did meaningful vaccination efforts ever make it to people of San juanico?
What percentage of local population are vaccinated?

The problem with getting covid in remote towns is there is (1) little or no testing available, (2) minimal or no health care facilities for severe respiratory infections, and (3) sometimes multi-generational crowded housing where disease spreads easily.

Are a$$hat anti-vax and/or anti-mask gringos from OC vacationing in San juanico, spreading their germs in a vulnerable community?

I see that in baja north the govt says they “completed” vaccine effort, offered shots to all. But they also say that only 30% of population got vaccine. Doesn’t sound like completion,…
I suspect that vaccination rate in rural areas is very low, what y’all hear?

[Edited on 7-18-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 04:24 PM

I think it's OK to travel if you are vaccinated, practice social distancing when you can and try to avoid situations where you can't; and mask up when inside buildings with strangers. I'll probably have masks handy for a long time to come. I don't think this virus is going away, just like the influenza virus is always with us.

It's going to be a long time before I go into a crowded place or get on an airplane. But I'm an old guy, in an age group where viral lung infections are dangerous. After all, my Dad died of influenza as do thousands and thousands of people every year. Now we have the added problem of the Covid virus.

[Edited on 7-18-2021 by SFandH]

[Edited on 7-19-2021 by SFandH]

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 05:48 PM

I hear Mazatlan is a complete catastrophe right now with Covid cases hitting entire families, taking two of my wife’s 37 year old friends - twin brothers. Oxygen is in short supply.

Go get vaccinated everyone.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-18-2021 at 07:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

It's really sad and selfish that some ppl who don't need to make money because they are living off govt. funding don't give a crap about how other ppl put food on their tables.

Jizzy,
Stop pretending you care about people other than yourself and their livelihood. It so disingenuous for any Nomad to pretend they are keeping Baja economy rolling. Going surfing, etc and spreading the virus isn't helping Mexicans in any way.....and is an embarrassingly thinly-veiled rationalization for selfish interests.

You don't need to go to Baja for your livelihood, so drop that argument.

How many Nomads are retired, living off their investments and any government pension they paid into do you intend to insult aside from me?

Go play with your doggies..... :rolleyes:

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.