BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I'm back home from the mini trip!
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 12:59 PM
I'm back home from the mini trip!

I wanted to update those of you who'd been helpful and supportive about my first short trip across the border.

-Driving was definitely interesting haha. It's actually my style of driving lol but I did get scared when trying to find where I needed to be and drivers of course had NO patience for that :lol:
-I did get the predicted "chits" but had taken imodium and pepto bismol with me. I was surprised my stomach had any issues because I was extremely cautious. I only ate foods and drinks that I took with me, only used bottled water for teeth brushing, I constantly sanitized and washed my hands etc.
- it meant a lot to my friend that I went there to spend time with her
-it was character building to do something out of my comfort zone and scary. To those of you who said "why bother doing something that makes you anxious" - it reaps it's rewards when you push past anxiety.

Thank you everyone for your feedback before I headed there. It was really helpful.

Janis

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 01:09 PM

Congratulations, you did it!!! Getting the JZizzles could be from a lot of things. Stress, fatigue, etc. You're good.

John
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 01:29 PM

Where did you go?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 06:06 PM

I always get anxious when I cross the border. Ears go up,
head on a swivel, until I get so. beyond the border towns,
and traffic. That feeling subsides once I can turn off the
vehicle

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Congratulations, you did it!!! Getting the JZizzles could be from a lot of things. Stress, fatigue, etc. You're good.

John

Congratulations for succeeding in your jump off the edge :coolup:

And I fully agree with you about facing the fears, managing the risks, and getting a bit of what you feared with the JZizzles....

Every time I cross into Baja my bowels seem to also respond a bit to the fragrance of diesel fumes, vehicles burning oil, burning garbage, and wood fires. This isn't a bad thing, as it's a signature fragrance welcoming me (usually Tecate) and the characteristic
olfactory trip subsides into a wider range of whiffs as the countryside opens up.

When is your next trip back?

Don't believe everything you think....
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 07:40 PM

John

thanks! yes, I was very sleep deprived and had definitely been stressed. I am so glad I took those essential meds with me on the trip!
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Janix  
-Driving was definitely interesting haha. It's actually my style of driving lol
It's often the foreigners who cause the problems in traffic flow. They just don't understand communication!

(Which is what governs driving in Mexico, who pays attention to some stuffy traffic regulations?)

haha, yes. I blended in really well until I had to do a U-turn and was terrified then people started honking at me - understandably. I was inconveniencing everyone by waiting for a gap in the traffic to begin my U turn :lol:
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

John

Congratulations for succeeding in your jump off the edge :coolup:

And I fully agree with you about facing the fears, managing the risks, and getting a bit of what you feared with the JZizzles....

Every time I cross into Baja my bowels seem to also respond a bit to the fragrance of diesel fumes, vehicles burning oil, burning garbage, and wood fires. This isn't a bad thing, as it's a signature fragrance welcoming me (usually Tecate) and the characteristic
olfactory trip subsides into a wider range of whiffs as the countryside opens up.

When is your next trip back?

Thanks so much! Yes, the smell of burning trash was SO bad! I was waiting for daylight to arrive this morning before I began my drive back home. The sun came up but the daylight didn't arrive for a while due to the pollution I think?!

I have no idea when my next trip is but I would definitely like to explore the beautiful places the country has to offer. That was my first brave trip driving alone and dealing with the border.
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 07:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
I always get anxious when I cross the border. Ears go up,
head on a swivel, until I get so. beyond the border towns,
and traffic. That feeling subsides once I can turn off the
vehicle

yes, I was definitely anxious. I hope that with more practice and experience, I will take it more in my stride.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 08:00 PM

Good for you, push your comfort zone and you will feel alive! The poops were probably stress related as others said. With more stress added in small dose's your body will adapt.
Charcoal tablets will also help if you have jacked up stomach from something you ate or drank. In Mexico ask for (carbon tabs). Now for the trip report and some pictures.
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Where did you go?

Don't laugh but I only went to Mexicali to meet a friend. She flew from Mexico city to meet me. I have always been afraid to go to Mexico so this was just me dipping one toe in the water.

The hotel was nice; clean, quiet and comfortable with tons of pillows, a fridge and A/C. That's all we needed.

[Edited on 7-24-2021 by Janix]
Janix
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2021 at 08:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Good for you, push your comfort zone and you will feel alive! The poops were probably stress related as others said. With more stress added in small dose's your body will adapt.
Charcoal tablets will also help if you have jacked up stomach from something you ate or drank. In Mexico ask for (carbon tabs). Now for the trip report and some pictures.

Yes, thanks! It's important to push through fears and burst out of our perceived safe bubble. Interesting about charcoal. I imagine it must absorb whatever our body is unhappy to have ingested? I felt a bit bad for my body that i took Imodium and Pepto as I knew I was then storing what my body wanted rid of but it had to be done.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-23-2021 at 08:24 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.