Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Solo Motorcycle Ride to Cabo
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2021 at 08:02 PM
Solo Motorcycle Ride to Cabo

Hello all - I’m contemplating a solo motorcycle ride from San Francisco CA to Cabo sometime next spring. I’ve been to Mexico a number of times but always fly. Im building a house in Cabo and want to bring an Adventure bike (KTM 390) down to leave there so I have it to ride when I’m staying there. My next plan is a road trip with my teenage son to bring a car down but first wanted to start with riding my motorcycle down for a little mid-life adventure (l’m 54 so a little late for mid-life ;) My parents used to drive down to Cabo every year in the 1970’s - camping on the beaches along the way. My plan is to stay in motel/hotels for the comfort factor. But otherwise want to take 5 nights to get from the boarder to Cabo so I’ll have time to check out the towns / sights along the way.

Love to hear anyone’s thoughts on my idea. Especially interested to hear perspective of those who have ridden motorcycles in Baja. Open to any tips / ideas. I’ve read many of the posted over the last couple years in the forum.

Thanks!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-24-2021 at 10:14 PM

Keep the top of your tank full, get a room by 4, eat fish tacos, and wait for a ton of opinions and maps. :coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-24-2021 at 11:17 PM

Don’t ask questions. Just do it.
My first trips to Mexico, we just went for it, no guidebook or internet, just a road map.

If you need your hand held, plenty of therapists here will hold your hand.

[Edited on 7-25-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 01:11 AM

Go for it on the bike.

We are about the same age. Did about a dozen trips from the border to La Paz with my two teenage boys over the last 4-5 years.

You definitely want to do some planning for your road trip with your kid, and not fly by everything.

You and your son are going to have some wicked fun.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 08:57 AM

Done it many times solo. From san fran i would ride mex one. Once you get past San Quiten the twisties are really fun. Imo five days are not enough. To many cool places and things to see. From experience watch out for the goats between Concepcion Bay and Loreto.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Keep the top of your tank full, get a room by 4, eat fish tacos, and wait for a ton of opinions and maps. :coolup:

the above is solid council. I've ridden the length of the peninsula a dozen times. you'll have a great time.....oh, let me be the first to say it...don't ride after dark.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 11:01 AM

honestly I'd put the Duke on the truck bed and enjoy the roadtrip with your son:P

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 12:31 PM

Thanks everyone- really appreciate all your thoughts and encouragement! For me - half the fun is planning and this is helpful to have a resource like this so thank you. I’ll try to stretch the the time I have to add a couple extra days.

I see one it’s for highway 1 down. I was thinking of going on the SofC side on 5. Any reason to do one over the other? I’ve read the 5 is newer road and nicer for the ride.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 12:59 PM

Be sure and have secure storage for that bike you are leaving behind, as in out of sight and out of mind, as not to tempt the few who may admire your moto more than you wish.

Building a secure garage of sorts should be a primary consideration for the stuff you will be bringing down.

As for the 5 or the 1 highway, I am a dinosaur and prefer the Pacific side for the incredible landscapes south of El Rosario and the Valle de Cirios would be much missed, besides the cooler temps off the Pacific Ocean.

To each his own. You might save a couple of hours on the 5, if that is of any value. For me, it is not and never has been.

Not driving at night is to be avoided on either route, as many others advise here. Plan ahead and enjoy the daytime scenery. Take your time to smell the desert roses, of sorts.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 01:23 PM

We take the 5 about 80% of the time. But on a bike and being the first time you might want to take the 1.

Benefits of the 5:

- avoids TJ, Mexicali is much easier to deal with, TJ can be stressful
- avoids all the small towns and stop and go traffic on the 1
- avoids the curvy, mountainous section of the 1 after El Rosario, however on a bike this will be a fun section

Weather is a lot cooler on the 1, so that can be a factor on a bike depending on the time of year. Some good views of the Pacific too.

At the end I choose the 5 because I feel like I'm in Baja much sooner and can relax. After you clear Mexicali, you are in a very sparsely populated place.

[Edited on 7-25-2021 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 01:30 PM

I agree with Surfhat. Take Hwy 1 for the scenery. Besides, you can split lanes through the traffic on the south end of Ensenada and Maneadero.

I've driven to Cabo so many times and have always thought it would be so much more fun on the moto! Good for you! And with building a place you'll have plenty of opportunities to drive the truck down 5 with supplies.

Where is your place in Cabo going to be? We are out near La Fortuna.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 02:41 PM

Thanks. We’re building a house on the Pacific side - development called Copala which is in the master community of Quivira. I’ll leave my motorcycle in my carport but locked to a pole. The development is gated with 24 hour security. I could also put it behind a gate alongside the house - I might do that. Then it’s out of sight.

I’m tempted to take 5 over 1 because I’d prefer to miss TJ and like the idea of seeing older Baja with smaller towns instead of the big cities.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 02:57 PM

Then cross at Tecate and take the road through wine country to Ensenada, then south from there. We've done that many times. It is beautiful.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
Then cross at Tecate and take the road through wine country to Ensenada, then south from there. We've done that many times. It is beautiful.

xlnt advice! and keep in mind you're not going to see any quaint old baja type towns along the 5, pretty much a gringo enclave from san felipe to gonzaga bay. also as much as folks rave about the scenery (and rightfully so) its only the stretch between puertecitos and gonzaga bay thats special. have a great trip!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 03:08 PM

If you want to see "Older Baja", an overnight in the center of Mulege is about as close as you will get! It has changed less than any other Baja town I am familiar with.

Hopefully there will not be an elevated level of covid infections by the time you make your run.

I agree with taking hwy 5. I prefer wide open spaces over the stop and go through all the small communities on the pacific side. You really need to do both routes when you can, they both have their good and less good qualities!

El Jefe gives good advice!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 03:27 PM

That is a pretty good suggestion.

[Edited on 7-25-2021 by JZ]

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 05:09 PM

... Besides, you can split lanes through the traffic on the south end of Ensenada and Maneadero.

With all due respect, I believe lane-splitting is very dangerous at any time in any place... (other drivers don't expect it and can get angry with the surprise)....and riding a bike in those places is dangerous at the best of times due to a lot of poor drivers. The small amount of time gained is not worth the risk for me. Hotshots like it because it's cool to fight the flow.... or so they think. Adolescent riders seem to do it more than experienced riders.

Others will disagree, but I don't do it.....have been riding since 1976 and am a good rider.... but for sure it's your call.

Don't believe everything you think....
Bwk94510
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 05:28 PM

Just looked at this - looks like a great route - thanks….doesn’t hurt that I like to drink wine 🍷!
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bwk94510  

Just looked at this - looks like a great route - thanks….doesn’t hurt that I like to drink wine 🍷!

BRAAAP.....hic;)

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Chup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bwk94510  
Hello all - I’m contemplating a solo motorcycle ride from San Francisco CA to Cabo sometime next spring. I’ve been to Mexico a number of times but always fly. Im building a house in Cabo and want to bring an Adventure bike (KTM 390) down to leave there so I have it to ride when I’m staying there. My next plan is a road trip with my teenage son to bring a car down but first wanted to start with riding my motorcycle down for a little mid-life adventure (l’m 54 so a little late for mid-life ;) My parents used to drive down to Cabo every year in the 1970’s - camping on the beaches along the way. My plan is to stay in motel/hotels for the comfort factor. But otherwise want to take 5 nights to get from the boarder to Cabo so I’ll have time to check out the towns / sights along the way.

Love to hear anyone’s thoughts on my idea. Especially interested to hear perspective of those who have ridden motorcycles in Baja. Open to any tips / ideas. I’ve read many of the posted over the last couple years in the forum.

Thanks!

Sounds like a fun trip. But, that bike won't be a true "adventure" bike. Its #380 wet. Then you and your riding gear. Doesn't leave too much for carrying anything beyond a backpack/rack with limited options for tent/etc IF that's what you are thinking about.

Otherwise, if it's just you and some minor carry alongs on the bike, and you stay on the "road" you should be fine.

Cheers
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.