Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: FMM cost
Allwaters
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2021 at 04:25 PM
FMM cost

So... we crossed thru Tijuana yesterday. Our duration in Mex is 7 days and we are not traveling further than Ensenada. We were not charged for our FMM, earlier this year around the beginning of January we were charged in the neighbourhood of 30 $US for a six month or open stay. Has pricing changed or is out short stay not chargeable?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-27-2021 at 05:36 PM

You got lucky, others have reported the free 7-day FMM was not available during Covid times. The 180 day one for $30 is good for that full period of time no matter how many trips south.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2021 at 05:42 PM
A few weeks ago

About $30 at Mexicali East.

My daughter and I went to the recent NORRA race, my daughter wanted a 7 day pass (or whatever it is called). The agent told us that a 7 day free card is for vacations and since travel is restricted to other than "vacation or tourists" she couldn't get one.

So, rather than argue more, she paid for and got the $30 deal.

On a previous trip my daughter & her husband did get the 7 day card. Got it on a Wednesday around 11:00 a.m. - they returned the following Tuesday, drove around the maze to turn it in again at Mexicali East as you are supposed to do. The agent said it was expired because Tuesday was the 7th day and therefore expired. It cost them each $30.00 - had to pay for the 180 day FMM. No supervisor to talk to, just the agent at the counter.

So, it, like many things in Baja simply depends..........

John M
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2021 at 05:50 PM

Just fyi, we also made an effort to return the 7-day free FMM, as requested (a few years ago)... They all go into a trash can, so never again. Since then, some INM officers have said neither the free or pay needs to be handed back in.
Our passports were scanned, however (both directions, south and north).

[Edited on 7-28-2021 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2021 at 06:54 PM
Free 7 Day

I know not everyone is a fan getting the FMM on line because you have to stop and get it stamped anyway. But filling out and printing the 7 day ahead of time and not having to talk to the INS official in Mexicali about it is easier and faster. Just saying.
Saludos.
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2021 at 10:24 PM

I went to Huatulco in May and June. Both trips were for 7 days and we received the free FMM. Both times I crossed walking through Otay Mesa.
Last week I went to La Ventana BCS for a 4 day trip (walked across Otay Mesa) and was told there were no 7 day FMM and I had to buy a 180 day FMM. I tried everything I could think of and he continued to tell me they only way I could cross was to pay it. Several attempts I tried to debate my case (only going for 4 days, it should be free, it's the same form, can I have the form and pay in La Paz, don't give me one and I'll get a free one at the airport etc, etc.) he threated to send me back to the US. I had a 6:00am flight and it was 4:15am. I figured if didn't pay I would miss my flight. I was with my two sons so he charged me $90 for us to cross. No bank transaction, no receipt just an arrival date stamp with 180 written on the FMM form. The agent never mentioned Covid or asked the purpose of our trip.
That was our only hiccup on the trip, everything from then on went awesome.....Great Trip!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-27-2021 at 10:27 PM
Durwin

[*] posted on 8-4-2021 at 06:51 AM

Good Morning,
In June I crossed at Mexicali and had to visit the Banjercito to stop for my paperwork because I was driving to La Paz and then taking the ferry over to Mazatlan. This was my first time visiting Mexico other than stopping at a port while on a cruise ship, which isn't really visiting Mexico.

In my experience reading the forums is good preparation for crossing the border ,but there is no substitute for experience. Additionally, its a VERY good idea to know at least some Spanish. There are no signs on the Mexican side of the border in English. This isn't political, just they way they do things on the Mexican side.

I crossed at Mexicali on Saturday morning because I knew that it would be less busy and I also was aware that I needed to get my FMM and paperwork to import my Jeep.

When I crossed into Mexico and did not see an obvious sign for immigration or the Banjercito. I asked the guards, donde Banjercito in my terrible Spanish, but did not see any places that were open and I did not want to block traffic so I drove though and then made a U turn and went back into the states.

Long story short, the entrance to the Immigration and Banjercito offices had been blocked off with orange cones. I eventually was able to explain what I wanted to do and they removed the cones.

Immigration wanted either pesos or credit cards. The Banjercito would only take a credit card.

Additionally, when you exit and go back to the states, you have to make your way over to the Mexican inbound lanes in order to get to those offices.

I do have to say that even with the inconvenience, it was entirely worth it driving south through Baja, taking the ferry over from La Paz, going to Mazatlan and then taking the ferry back over to Baja.

Best vacation I ever had. I'm already looking forward to going back.

thumbnail_64693839539__C767626A-E073-4CD9-AE85-9B85581C1736.jpg - 88kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2021 at 07:46 AM

Oh boy, do I want to read your trip report, Durwin!

jureal
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2021 at 09:56 AM

I applied online and paid. Is it necessary to stop at the border to get it stamped? I have both the FMM and proof of payment that I received online. Just wondering if it needs to be stamped.
BTW I already crossed and came back and no problems but no one asked for it and did not show it to anyone. I do multiple crossings all the time and am wondering if it is still ok. I asked at the border but they just did not have an answer as to if it is valid or not. I assume that it is valid as it has a expiration date and I have proof of payment.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-4-2021 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jureal  
I applied online and paid. Is it necessary to stop at the border to get it stamped? I have both the FMM and proof of payment that I received online. Just wondering if it needs to be stamped.
BTW I already crossed and came back and no problems but no one asked for it and did not show it to anyone. I do multiple crossings all the time and am wondering if it is still ok. I asked at the border but they just did not have an answer as to if it is valid or not. I assume that it is valid as it has a expiration date and I have proof of payment.

gotta get it stamped, they need to see your passport

[Edited on 8-4-2021 by del mar]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2021 at 11:01 AM

Stamping the prepaid FMM, as soon as you enter Mexico, is what activates it. The FMM is required for any trip across the border. It may never be asked for. As they say, best to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

jureal
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2021 at 01:13 PM

As you drive accross at san yisidro, where do you go to get it stamped?
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-4-2021 at 01:25 PM

As you drive accross at san yisidro, where do you go to get it stamped?

get in the far right lane go park under the canopy, its right after the banks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2021 at 04:27 PM

Always find the INM desk (where it gets stamped) in the FIRST building, across the border. Generally you drive into the 'Something to Declare' area, even if you don't need to declare anything... same parking area.

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-5-2021 at 09:34 AM

It is important to list only SIX nights on the application - if you say SEVEN nights that counts as EIGHT days and not free.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2021 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
It is important to list only SIX nights on the application - if you say SEVEN nights that counts as EIGHT days and not free.

Good point! Maybe we should just call it the '6 night' free FMM instead of the '7 day' free one?

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 11:08 PM

BTW I already crossed and came back and no problems but no one asked for it and did not show it to anyone.

Yes, it needs to be stamped or it won't be valid, and - yes, they very rarely ask for it at this crossing. You may call it an honor system though more likely it's a usual attitude of federal employees of the 3rd world country - nobody cares.
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2021 at 07:55 AM

@ Marbels, Let me get this straight. I arrive at the the IMN desk along with my two traveling companions. The official will happily and speedily fill out all three (free 7 day) FMM forms and send us on our way faster than just scanning our passports and stamping our preprinted forms.
I'll have to try that out, thank you.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2021 at 08:53 AM

I always been asked to fill it out.
The print is tiny, so if you are old or far-sighted, bring your reading glasses!

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2021 at 09:09 AM

The only time I would pre print out an fmm is for the free
6 nt 7 day. Paying with a credit card for the 180 day, has
the possibility of a few hiccups

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.