BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Welp, no more having a Pacifico while cruising on a desolate trail down in Baja
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2021 at 12:44 PM
Chinese Geely (Volvo) and Facial Recognition

If this is where we were over 2 years ago, imagine what's possible now!
https://www.bloomberg.com/quicktake/facial-recognition
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-5-2021 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
They're encroaching on our personal freedom too much. I don't like it.

Driving is a privilege, not a right.

But I think you know that....some don't.

Don't believe everything you think....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2021 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
They're encroaching on our personal freedom too much. I don't like it.

Driving is a privilege, not a right.

But I think you know that....some don't.

I wrote to you that many expats in Baja are people who value personal freedom more than others. It's seldom mentioned but that's what I'm seeing. There is much more freedom here. Much of baja is unfenced so you can go anywhere. You can pull off anywhere and spend the night. Nobody has a registered license plates. I'm not sure there's even an DMV. In my village nobody stops at stop signs. There are no crosswalks. Dogs sleep in the middle of the road. A lot of us like this looseness and miss the old days when the US was like that.

The above proposal is just the sort of thing that many see as the civilized world encroaching on yet another freedom. If you really want to make a difference in saving lives then take their guns away. Oh, what a howl there would be.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2021 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Not too surprised that the Chinese Geely who now owns Volvo is taking a lead in introducing electronic monitoring of drivers. They are way ahead of the US in that regard. It's been reported by Bloomberg through their facial recognition systems they can have the fines pulled from your account within a minute if you jaywalk

Not quite correct. Having spent some time in Shanghai (daughter lived there for a few years) if you're caught on camera jay walking then you'll likely be approached by a cop holding a picture of your violation on his/her phone. You'll be asked for your ID (which you're required to carry) and a ticket will be issued and printed right there. Don't have your ID? The cop will take a picture of your face and retrieve your ID that way. You can pay the ticket on the spot using WeChat or Weibo mobile phone apps.

Worth noting that unless you're a tourist you don't need to carry a wallet as most all purchases get paid by one of those two phone apps. Also worth noting as a tourist you'll get your picture taken when going through immigration so you'll have your face in the system so no escaping being I'D by being a foreigner.

The flip side of all this surveillance is that it was incredibly safe to walk anywhere in the city at any hour of the day or night.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2021 at 05:59 PM

Well, it's like they say. "This is why we can't have nice things."

In every case, some small percentage of idiots (drunk drivers, violent nuts with guns/shootings, litterbugs, graffitists, etc.) always ruin it for the rest of us who try to do the right thing. That's what happens when you try to govern 325 million "freedom" lovers. We already house more people in prison than China, what's the solution?

John

[Edited on 8-6-2021 by John Harper]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2021 at 06:12 PM

...many expats in Baja are people who value personal freedom more than others. It's seldom mentioned but that's what I'm seeing. There is much more freedom here. Much of baja is unfenced so you can go anywhere. You can pull off anywhere and spend the night. Nobody has a registered license plates. I'm not sure there's even an DMV. In my village nobody stops at stop signs. There are no crosswalks. Dogs sleep in the middle of the road. A lot of us like this looseness and miss the old days when the US was like that.

The above proposal is just the sort of thing that many see as the civilized world encroaching on yet another freedom.

Best post you have made on the board in a long time. Well said.

[Edited on 8-6-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2021 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

We already house more people in prison than China, what's the solution?

John

Well we certainly don't want to follow China's lead on anything. They have put 3 million Uyghurs in interment camps the last several years. 67% more ppl than are in jail in the US.

I've been to China more than a dozen times, so let me know if you want an education on China taking freedom away from their citizens.

[Edited on 8-6-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2021 at 06:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Well we certainly don't want to follow China's lead on anything. They have put 3 million Uyghurs in interment camps. 67% more ppl than are in jail in the US.

IDK, we've had some issues here in the US during our 250 years. Someone's been a bit over caffeinated lately.

John
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2021 at 10:41 PM

And here you are sticking your hand in the bowl stirring it up.
You've shown time and again that anyone you disagree with you go out of your way to disparage them, Whether it be your underhanded jabs at DK, or downright despicable behavior towards JZ.
You always seem to find a fault you can throw petty insults at, Like a trailer, vehicle, dog, bike and even family members.
Nothing is sacred to you is it?
You've changed Ged, and not for the better!

[Edited on 8-6-2021 by BajaNomad]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 12:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  

And here you are sticking your hand in the bowl stirring it up.
You've shown time and again that anyone you disagree with you go out of your way to disparage them, Whether it be your underhanded jabs at DK, or downright despicable behavior towards JZ.
You always seem to find a fault you can throw petty insults at, Like a trailer, vehicle, dog, bike and even family members.
Nothing is sacred to you is it?
You've changed Ged, and not for the better!

[Edited on 8-6-2021 by BajaNomad]

Ged- Did you already serve out your probation term here for being a cancer?
Or has Doug just not seen your recent activity?
Seems like you should find some inner peace before you break through the thin ice you are standing on and end up in the Lake of the Banned.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 06:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Well we certainly don't want to follow China's lead on anything. They have put 3 million Uyghurs in interment camps. 67% more ppl than are in jail in the US.

IDK, we've had some issues here in the US during our 250 years. Someone's been a bit over caffeinated lately.

John

See what I mean? JZ starts a thread on drinking and driving, then turns the conversation to China politics.

I don't believe a word that's written.

We need to lighten up -- where's Paul? -- unless someone wants to debate and compare US vs. China politics?

Hi Lee: In defense of JZ, it was me that swung the discussion to China when i mentioned it was them that are leading in monitoring their populace through broad installation and use of facial recognition controls. My apologies if it seems off topic to further
controls installed in cars.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 06:37 AM

If I am out driving a vehicle in some remote area of the Baja, I want as simple a system that will not shut down electronically as possible. Maybe it's just me but that's why i like the old vehicles that came with a full set of tools so you could get up and running again. Friends have been all over the world with the old style BMW motorbikes and chose them for this very reason.
Just my preference of course.

[Edited on 8-6-2021 by JDCanuck]
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 08:55 AM

Relax people...it's just a proposal..doubt it will ever pass....probably a throw away item in the proprosed bill......

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 10:45 AM

JD I'm with you. I like it simple and easy to fix. Nothing against the new stuff just not for my off road truck. Someday maybe but not now.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
JD I'm with you. I like it simple and easy to fix. Nothing against the new stuff just not for my off road truck. Someday maybe but not now.

I'm sorta tracking the new electric vehicles. Hopefully they keep them simple and we only have to worry about the reduced set of parts they should be able to build them with. Rivian and the Lordstown one look attractive, but I am waiting a bit to see how they develope.
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 12:20 PM

You have no idea what is sacred to me.

I did not know JZ was sacred to you.
What else do you hold sacred?

No, But spin it anyway you like. I'm talking about your personal attacks directed at the folks on this board that you have disagreements with.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 12:38 PM

No, But spin it anyway you like. I'm talking about your personal attacks directed at the folks on this board that you have disagreements with.

wow usually Dan only comes out when DK is taking a well deserved beating! Riddle me this Dan you've been supportive of mr.Z for his pretty pictures then you post this: "While I disagree with your political views, and certainly don't like the nicnames you give to certain posters. I do enjoy reading the RR's you've posted in the past.
No one and I mean no one should be threating anyone on the board whether its public or private in a U2U, and I hpoe you've reported it and that member is banned."
sorry buddy but you can't have it both ways;)
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 01:40 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about this. If it does pass, within two weeks Amazon will be selling a product to defeat it.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

wow usually Dan only comes out when DK is taking a well deserved beating! Riddle me this Dan you've been supportive of mr.Z for his pretty pictures then you post this: "While I disagree with your political views, and certainly don't like the nicnames you give to certain posters. I do enjoy reading the RR's you've posted in the past.
No one and I mean no one should be threating anyone on the board whether its public or private in a U2U, and I hpoe you've reported it and that member is banned."

Whats your point? Trying to be civil to someone you disgree with isn't part of your demeanor?
I'm guessing you missed Ged's lastest post since Doug deleted it.

Yes I enjoy the pics and reading all posts related to Baja, and even the non-Baja reports as well, Even those from posters I don't entirely agree with for whatever reason.
Thanks for the input.

[Edited on 8-7-2021 by BajaNomad]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 02:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Whats your point? Trying to be civil to someone you disgree with isn't part of your demeanor?
I'm guessing you missed Ged's lastest post since Doug deleted it.

Yes I enjoy the pics and reading all posts related to Baja, and even the non-Baja reports as well, Even those from posters I don't entirely agree with for whatever reason.
Thanks for the input.

well my point is if you want him banned like you say.....there goes the "pretty pictures" whats so hard to understand:?:

[Edited on 8-7-2021 by BajaNomad]
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.