Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Techniques / Gear for Fishing from Shoreline
Colin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 05:33 PM
Techniques / Gear for Fishing from Shoreline

Camping in Baja for 2 weeks, Cortez and Pacific side. Too poor to get a fishing boat or kayak, but want to catch some fish. Any recommendations on gear / techniques / spots for fishing from the shore?

How much should I expect to pay to get a local to take me out on a panga?
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 06:23 PM
fish

colin---If you are on budget then stick to shore fishing as soon as you get out on the water then you will need a fishing license. As far as panga rental goes the farther south you travel the higher the price for rental. Northern baja around $100 and by the time you get to the east cape or los cabos $250 is the going rate. A tried and true fail safe rig that anyone can handle is the old hook and a bobber. Find yourself a local piece of bait, clam, mussle, sandcrab tie a hook on the line attach a bobber three or four feet above and toss it out along any rocky shoreline. That is as simple as it gets. 12# test line will work just fine with what ever rod and reel combo you have. Kick back enjoy the scenery and quiet, soak up some rays, throw back a cold one and please dont kill more than you can eat. fishin rich
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 07:29 PM
Bait

Fishing close to shore on either side of baja, a good bait is squid. You can catch just about everything you would want on frozen squid. Light tackle is best and from a kayak or boat is better yet. Take only what you will eat and eat it asap. Don't forget your license, and if you bring a kayak or canoe you will need a permit for it also. Have fun and good luck...Gary

Carry an Organ Donor card. You could save someone\'s life... http://www.organdonor.gov
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-1-2005 at 07:45 PM

Don't worry about technique....

In the summer the fish just jump in your boat....

most baja vistors don't know this because they ALL leave in MAY....too hot!!:lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 01:38 AM
If you are a novice.....

...bring a spinning reel with some 8-12 lb. line and as many silver 2 1/4 oz Krocodile lures as you can afford. Try to find the ones with the single hook rather than the treble. Carry some needlenose pliers for releasing the fish you dont want by grabbing the shank (long straight part) of the hook and twist the hook out of the fishes mouth over the water.

Walk out on rocky points and cast to the deepest water you can find. Assume that those lures will sink about 1.5 feet per second and start to retrieve them about 2 feet off the bottom. Fish the tide as it is coming in and at its height.

Do not eat the puffer fish! They will, sometimes, hit a lure.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 04:16 AM
Colin..

Where on Cortez side of Baja will you be camping? From Sta. Rosalia to San Nicolas we have good camping and shore fishing. Use Hook's hook ideas and also the squid or shrimp head as a bait-fishing method..get out on the farthest rock from the point and work the water from the bottom up. Using bait, don't move it around very much...imagine you are your wife and just let it dangle out there and daydream about shopping...works for them, it should work for us!!

Pangas in Mulege run $150 day for 2 people...a day is from 6 - 2 usually. Good luck.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Tommy A
Nomad

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 10:38 AM

I would also so take some lucky lures also called lucky joes, they are a string of about 8 small hooks with feathers attached for catching small bait fish from shore. Then put the bait on a larger pole with a 1or 2 ounce sliding egg sinker then you are fishing off the beach with live bait!! Can't get much better than that.

Good Luck
Colin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2005 at 11:47 PM

Not sure exactly where we're going to be. From Ensenada, we're driving down to either the campground at Punta Chivato or Conception. We're going to 'explore' from there. Any ideas as to where we should go?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 03:59 AM
Colin...

I have covered every one of these areas myself, so here's my personal relfections on - Re: The best camping from Pta. Chivato to Conception Bay...and shoreline fishing on a budget.

1. outermost point of Pta. Chivato..good beachcamp within walking distance of good rocky dropoffs for shorefishing. Lots of boat fisherman camping there for info and possible invite, store nearby, water, Mulege 20 miles.

2. Mulege northside estuary...good shoreline fishing along rocky points (Pta. Prieta), in town, not-so-pretty beaches, possible security problem.

3. Lovers Beach south of Mulege 4 miles (just under micro-wave tower) secluded nice beach, good shoreline fishing, has had theft problems in past.

4. Pta. Arena & Pta. Naronjos (used to be all Pta. Arena) is nice camping, shoreline fishing is very poor, secure usually, lots of other campers.

5. Santispac, Los Cocos, Burros..poor to non-existent shoreline fishing, crowded, close to cafes, highway, stores, town access easy.

6. Playa Escondido.. volleyball, economy-minded, fair rocky points, secluded, accessible over trail from highway near Posada. Good bet..fishing so-so.

7. Coyote campbeach..a favorite, rocky points, Good bet. Come by for coffee and fishtalk.

8. Playa Buenaventura..no

9. Playa Requeson-playa La Perla-playa Armenta..good clamming, okay shoreline fishing, nice campsites.

Nothing any further south..in the Bay.. that I would recommend.

10. The Best= a hard drive out to Pt. Conception and to the outside east coast of the penisula to 'the mine'. Camp is very remote & secluded, outstanding views and Baja experience, tremendous shoreline fishing, road/trail is a nightmare at times. Town and supplies, help, etc. is 2 1/2 hours trail drive or 20 minutes by boat. Note: you must be prepared for this kind of adventure. You'll be on your own.

Past Mulege area towards Loreto check out San Sebastian and San Nicolas areas. For the adventuresome looking for old Baja get off by yourself..nothing beats that experience.

[Edited on 4-4-2005 by Pompano]

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 07:00 AM

Pompano,

You really should write a book; a longer book; seriously !
With info like this, they would sell like hotcakes.

Consider this my advance order for 10 copies !
Colin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 11:13 PM

Awesome advice, thanks!

If camping at Punta Conception by 'the mine', is it possible to paddle a kayak accross the bay for supplies, fish tacos, etc? How far is it accross? Looks like five miles on my map, but I remember the other side not seeming that far away when I was down there last.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 11:40 PM
Camping Pta. Concepcion

I took Pompanos' advise and went out not long ago. Be very prepared as the road is long and narrow.

awesome place........very remote

pta. concepcion

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2005 at 05:03 AM

I would not consider paddling a kayak from the mine to Mulege for anything...barring an emergency....unless you really love to paddle. The mine is on the outside of the penisula and about 12 miles from the Mulege estuary and if the northerlies come up you are in trouble. You could certainly use a kayak to good extent around the mine, fishing lots of good points, etc. If you camp at the mine, you should plan on being there for a while, living self-sufficiently. Plan ahead for all supplies and equipment. For assistance or information, a good thing to have is a handheld VHF radio with good batteries. Hail channels 22-21-16...and in that order. Fishermen using 22 will cruise by the mine daily - you can reach Mulege from the bayside shore easily on ch. 21 - and other vessels, houses, etc, on ch. 16. Worst case scenario would be to signal passing pangas, fishermen, etc. from shore...smoke, flags.

But you won't need assistance, because you have planned ahead and will have a good time. Let us know what you plan to do and good luck.

[Edited on 4-5-2005 by Pompano]

[Edited on 4-5-2005 by Pompano]

guerosurfero

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 09:13 AM

A really good book on this subject is "The Baja Catch". It is chock-full of great information on techniques and approaches for fishing all regions of Baja. I've found it to be a tremendous resource.

http://www.bajadestinations.com/books/tbc3/tbc3.htm
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 05:48 PM

A little additional info on Playa Requeson; take some surf booties to protect your feet and wade out to the deepwater drop-off on the north side of the spit. You can stand in waist deep water and fish the deep. I've had luck with fly gear and bait casting gear there. Cheap, no license required.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Colin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2005 at 11:47 PM

I have a 'Baja Catch' book. I've found it to be a great source for info on camping spots as well.

I'm going to be taking my steelhead fly rod and fly-tying gear, too!
Price
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2005 at 02:50 AM

:coolup:Anyone know anything about shore fishing & claming in San Felipe ??? :coolup::coolup:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.