Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: GPS
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 09:03 AM
GPS

I'm looking for a large screen 7"? GPS with Mexico maps included.
Any advice?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 09:17 AM
Try PCI

PCI Race Radio
(562) 427-8177

Great customer service

I have a very old Lowrance 540c - still works just fine. They tuned it up for us a couple of years ago. Lowrance makes screens of many sizes.

Lowrance must be still regarded as very good as almost all of the Baja race teams use them. I'm fairly certain Baja maps are pre-loaded if you get it from PCI.

Murdock maps makes an aftermarket map set for Baja with a little more detail.

John M
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 10:45 AM

We have an older cell enabled iPad and use GAIA maps on it. While it doesn't navigate for you (give you a route), we download routes to follow. My husband mounted it on a flexible stand so we can turn it for viewing. You download the maps you need/want.

Oh, you need cell enabled iPad so that it has GPS - the WiFi only models depend on WiFi for the GPS.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 11:48 AM

Regardless of the GPS you get you can download the Cartografia E32 maps that covers Mexico. You can get just Baja or all of Mexico. It cost $25 or there about's and is updated yearly. Most off roaders have E32 in their GPS.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 11:54 AM
GAIA

From GAIA website:

Access National Geographic Baja California Maps
Nat Geo Baja Maps are available to Premium users on gaiagps.com and your iOS and Android devices. Access and download Nat Geo Baja by visiting your Map Layers, selecting “Add Maps,” “Topo Maps” and then “NatGeo Baja.”

Another option in addition to what TMW gave.

We use GAIA (free version) in the U.S. with the topo maps that come in the basic free package. It works off line just fine to show your gps position on the map. We've downloaded trails we want to run ahead of time and so far is flawless in the states. No experience with it in Baja. And it's on an android tablet so it's a pretty big screen.

JM
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 12:03 PM

Run Gaia or Back Country Navigator on your phone and / or tablet.

Much better than a standalone GPS. Bigger, better screen and much easier to use since you are using the same keyboard you use every day.

Download satellite images of areas you plan to travel to for use when you don't have cell service.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 02:51 PM

The Benchmark Baja Atlas is available to download onto your GPS enabled Smart Phone or tablet. It is superior to the Nat'l Geo map as far as road details go, plus it is updated for 2021, vs 2008.

The GPS in your phone/ tablet will show you where you are on the Benchmark Atlas, while exploring Baja!

https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/1250162/baja-california-atla...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 06:03 PM

Another for Gaia. Too easy, user friendly. Will never buy another GPS unit again. It would take many years of premium service to equal a quality new GPS unit that will eventually become outdated.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 08:33 PM

It is great to have more than one app on your device. For sure I have benchmark on my phone which is always with me even, but is is pretty much useless except for the big view. The phone App I use mostly is Google maps and maps.me, but I would not call either a GPS substitute, but I would not be without the directions ns POIs those apps give.
For sure if you are a hard core off roader then you will need something at least as good as an old Lowrance with Murdock maps not recommend due to cost and size. A tablet is better as mentioned with one of the maps options mentioned.
In any event once you compare a real GPS with a tablet or phone you will have to adjust to the poor picture you get. However good enough if the lighting is favorable.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 08:11 AM

I have a Garmin only because I had it before I started using the phone apps. On a bike the phone works good and is much easier to use then the GPS. I have E32 maps on the GPS and use it as a back up to my phone, it's a second phone not my main phone. Both phones are set up with the OSMAND app and is used for all navigation.

I might try the GAIA APP as I have read a lot of good things about it. For traveling in my truck in Baja I will probably go to a tablet because of the larger screen. Unless you are good on a computer I would stay away from a stand alone GPS, they are hard to get the tracks on and usually require a computer to make changes and add routes. The phone GPS based apps are super easy to use and you can email tracks and they will open in the program you are running.

I wasted a lot of money to learn the info that people have shared above.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 08:22 AM

maps.me work with any android or I device that runs apps. Down load maps for the area you need so they work off line too. I run them on an iPad pro. It does tracks too.
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Regardless of the GPS you get you can download the Cartografia E32 maps that covers Mexico. You can get just Baja or all of Mexico. It cost $25 or there about's and is updated yearly. Most off roaders have E32 in their GPS.

I used Cartografia E32 on a cheap Garmin navigator on a trip in early 2020. Worked great.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 11:18 AM

A GPS, phone apps and tablets are all great devices and if you don't know where you are they'll help you get home before bed time. Doesn't anyone like getting lost. It's one of the best things about Baja. Not knowing where you are is a great feeling that only a true adventurer can enjoy. If in doubt turn around and go back the way you came.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 05:39 PM

Cartografia E32 is only for Garmin gps.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 08:01 PM

E-32 is now available for Android and I phones, I believe...
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 08:35 PM
Lowrance

If Lowrance technology is good enough for a 3/4 million dollar trophy truck then I guess it's good enough for me.

JM

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
E-32 is now available for Android and I phones, I believe...

Yes, Cartografia E32 has versions for Garmin, iPhone and iPad, but not Android phones or tablets. I asked about the possibility of an Android app two years ago and was told, "maybe soon."

http://cartografiagps.com/en/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.