Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Trailer
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 08:27 PM
Trailer

Just picked up our new Australian trailer that will see a lot of Baja trips, retirement in four months and counting! She is funky but amazing and like nothing made in the US! Queen bed, bathroom, shower, heater, air, inside and outside kitchens and a BBQ! Enough solar and water to spend at least a week off grid at a time. All composite and fiberglass construction, no wood to be found.

I'll start a trip report in December on our first trip with her! If you see us say hi and stop for a beer...l

[Edited on 8-11-2021 by advrider]
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 08:43 PM

But the axle(s) aren't shoved back as far as humanly possible for maximum tongue weight. What were you thinking?

But nice looking Igo where Ugo, have fun out there.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 09:55 PM

Very cool. Can't wait to see you down there with it!

Got any pics of the inside?

[Edited on 8-11-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 10:32 PM

Good looking rig! What is the weight loaded?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 10:44 PM

great anchor!

they all flip sooner or later

flip your trailer.jpg - 252kB

Harald Pietschmann
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2021 at 11:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
great anchor!

NOT ALL! Only those will flip, where the driver is stupid enough to let`em flip. It is all up to the guy @ the wheel. :tumble:
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 12:09 AM

I have seen certified experts flip their trailers - some more than once.
One of them 2 times in one day
he sold it quickly after that

rover trailer flip.jpg - 123kB

Harald Pietschmann
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 12:16 AM

They've got the special hitches allowing the rotation. Just push the thing back over and dust it off.

Let's not forget there are lots of places we can go where the flip risk is pretty low.

Definitely not for challenging offroads. :D

[Edited on 8-11-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 07:39 AM

I'll get some pictures of the inside tonight. With water tanks full, it's around 5k pounds, give or take. I'm going to try and get it on a scale after I have it loaded to see for sure.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 09:57 AM

What is "enough solar" - 300W array and 300AH battery bank? Fridge - propane?
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 10:23 AM

Good looking rig. The Australians have their overlanding stuff together. As others have pointed out there is a difference between overlanding and off road :)
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 10:27 AM

I have seen certified experts flip their trailers - some more than once.
One of them 2 times in one day
he sold it quickly after that

harald, what is the meaning of "certified expert" in re of this thread?
Certified expert in flipping trailers might be the correct definition.
lets face it: A trailer is not capable of tipping onn its own. Again, it is up to the guy behind the wheel to let the trailer flip over. And yes, the guy who flipped the trailer twice in one day, he did right to sell it!!! (my suggestion: never buy another trailer which flips over twice a day:lol::lol::lol: before buying such thing, ask the sales person if that trailer is a flip-alone-trailer!:lol::lol::lol:)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 11:00 AM

great anchor!

I have towed trailers on many paved and unpaved roads. Never flipped one yet. I suppose if you drive stupid you may be prone to flipping trailers.

Or perhaps you are forgetful and flip trailers because you forget you are towing — tie a string around your finger or put sticky note on windshield to remind yourself you are towing a trailer.

Or perhaps you dont know how to properly distribute weight on trailer. Your owners manual will teach you, read it. Center of gravity should be in front of axle, centered side to side, and kept low as possible. Read your manual, or look online to learn how to load and tow a trailer.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 11:02 AM

At 5000 pounds of trailer, maybe the truck will flip instead?

Looks like a nice rig, what is the brand and model? Are they sold in the US?

John
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 11:20 AM

WARNING !

Any Nomad posting their latest purchase intended to radically improve the quality of their life in Baja may be unceremoniously discredited for their lack of expertise, knowledge, and general know-how by other Nomads who clearly fulfill their roles as members of the Greek Chorus.

:rolleyes:

Don't believe everything you think....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
At 5000 pounds of trailer, maybe the truck will flip instead?

Looks like a nice rig, what is the brand and model? Are they sold in the US?

John

Heavy trailer because of so many luxuries. It has indoor AND outdoor kitchens, heat and AC. I could make do with just heat, and just outdoor kitchen. I could also skip the on board air compressor.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by nbentley1  
Good looking rig. The Australians have their overlanding stuff together. As others have pointed out there is a difference between overlanding and off road :)

There certainly is a diffence between overlanding and off-road trailer towing. But for both one thing is important - even more for off-road: Keep the center of gravity low. The rig in the pic here is smart as it lowers down the center of gravity while being towed. To those pics Harald posted: Well, if I am going off-road and the center of gavity of the trailer is high above where it should be, then the flipover effect is higher of course. All a question of packing the trailer. Keep heavy things you want to place inside the trailer on the floor, not above the "belt-line" or in some overhead storage. So again: it is up to the guy on the wheel to make the trailer flip easily - or not. First and foremost: If you have to pass sandy spots on your off-road trip where you might get stuck: Don`t accelerate to high speed just to get through that spot. That makes the flip! Let your trailer behind. Drive your car to a better spot and use the winch pulling the trailer towards your car. (a third wheel on the tongue of the trailer is a must of course. Like the trailer in the pics)
In the first pic Harald posted /the black car) one can easily see the track of the right wheel, the driver was accelerating a lot. The wheel made a long scratch in the sand! The most common reason for an off-road flipover is high speed when the trailer is bumping from left to right and back.
A winch on your car is a must have thing(!) w/ a sufficiant length of steel cable of course, going off-road w/ a trailer. Take another cable as a spare w/ you, just in case. Summery: If you do it right, you can go with any camping trailer off-road. Best: double axle.
But this thing here in the pics is certainly a very good idea to go off-road!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 11:32 AM

Nice rig!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
What is "enough solar" - 300W array and 300AH battery bank? Fridge - propane?

We are at 400W of solar with four Lithium batteries, not sure on total amps? Still learning the system. It has a Bluetooth control that connects to my phone so I can monitor it. Fridge is the only real draw if we use it ( we have an ARB in the truck as well). Inside cook top, heater and water heater are diesel powered, BBQ and outside stove are propane. I don't see running the microwave much?
No AC and we aren't sure if we will add it? Probably never cook inside but it is a package deal so I won't remove it. The inside sink and toilet are nice but won't get used much.
Kimberly Karavan is the brand only made in AU, and imported to the US. The heater is a big plus for us and will extend the camping season for sure. We have a canvas Aussie camper now that we really liked but it's not much fun in the wind or super cold days, more of a tent on wheels.

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 01:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
WARNING !

Any Nomad posting their latest purchase intended to radically improve the quality of their life in Baja may be unceremoniously discredited for their lack of expertise, knowledge, and general know-how by other Nomads who clearly fulfill their roles as members of the Greek Chorus.

:rolleyes:

Good post, I cannot agree more. But there is one really good thing on this Australian trailer which is v e r y important: They put wide tires on. As wide and as high in diamter as possible! This is why: Trailer manufactorers are trying tu put the smallest tire on. Considering payload, YES! But as small as possible b/c of profit. If you buy a trailer for off-road use, do it like the trailer in this thread. Before paying the trailer tell the dealer to change the tires from (i.e.) 185/15 to (i.e) 235/17 or even bigger. Whatever can be placed in the wheelhouse. Look at the Arabiens. They are using Camels for traveling through sandy areas, not horses. Why?? Just compare the footprint of a horse w/ the footprint of a camel and you will figure what`s best on sandy trails. The trailer shown here is a real good thing for off road use, t.m.h.o.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.