Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Trailer
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 10:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Thanks for the info KasloKid, all good advise. I've been towing my smaller camp trailer for a number of years but always good to get others take on things.

I have spare air bags and wheel bearings for both sides. Three matching tires plus assorted plugs and patches. The trailer has a compressor as well as one in my truck.

Thanks JZ, we will be checking out some remote private beach time for sure.

Sounds like you're ready to roll !!
I forgot to mention shackle bushings. Typically they're made of nylon and wear thin or wear out. I've replaced all mine (tandem axle = 7 brass bushings and greasable pins plus a compatible equalizer, per side). Jack the trailer up and check bushing play like you would a steering ball joint.

You'll come across several places on the drive of which the scenery is memorable.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 06:48 PM

Looks like I was off on a few details. Weight looks more like 4k pound with water not 5k that I thought. Solar comes in at 440 watts, not sure still on the amp hours on the four batteries, (edit-400ah on the batteries)?

[Edited on 8-13-2021 by advrider]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 10:24 PM

Li battery amp-hours should be written on the battery. Or weigh it, drop-in 100AH Li weighs 28-30 lbs.

Get a sway bar, it helps to stabilize the trailer on highway.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 10:45 PM

Not a fan of sway bars. Especially for that size.

I don't notice a bit of difference with my truck and they are a pain to put on.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 12:04 AM

JZ,
Alm is probably referring to a sway control device, and the simplest/least expensive type, a friction bar. The terminology is confusing because those are sometimes called anti-sway bars.
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-17200-Sway-Control-Kit/dp/B000HL...
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 09:09 AM

The trailer has a sway bar on it and with the offroad style hitch I don't think you could run the bumper style sway bar. It's super stable on and offroad so I'm not sure I would need one. The Aussie style hitch will rotate all the way around and has a built in shock that smooths out starts and stops. Also has a hydro lock for the brakes when you set up the trailer, don't need to block the tires.
I was to lazy to pull the cover on the batteries and called the seller and later found it on the paper work. They are all (4) Li batteries.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 03:09 PM

I'll get some pictures of the inside tonight. With water tanks full, it's around 5k pounds, give or take. I'm going to try and get it on a scale after I have it loaded to see for sure.

Really interesting trailer! Looks like a far more durable option to the old tent trailers. Quite a bit of room, well equipped, smaller size when towed, but opens up nicely. Seems like a well sized solar system as well. We could run our furnace in the 5th wheel for about 8 hours on 1/5 that amount of storage and you should get about 2200 watthours in the Baja per day out of the solar panels, maybe more.

[Edited on 8-13-2021 by JDCanuck]
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 03:18 PM

Thanks JDCanuck, we looked at a lot of trailers and kept coming back to this one. With it only being the wife and I, and two small dogs we didn't need that much room. We like to live outside when camping but wanted to have a place to get out of the weather and warm up if needed.
We really liked our clam shell style Aussie tent trailer but really wanted to get away from canvas if we could. All or the smaller US trailers that you can stand up in are canvas pop top, just not what we are after.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 03:58 PM

I wouldn't worry about the microwave use, but the AC is another story. We used our microwave a fair amount, but really, how many minutes is it drawing 1000w? I wonder if there isn't a much less power draw way of cooling. I suspect you will want it. If i remember right, it takes about 800 watts to get 2/3 ton cooling (8000btu/hr)

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 04:32 PM

Just remembered, we recently got three very small local spot use only evaporative coolers that produce about 500 btu/hr at 10 watts or less. Might come in handy if someone is stressed by heat. Overhyped on the web as room coolers, useful only to sit on desk and direct at the distressed person and cost about 100 CAD each.

Otherwise looks like a portable generator would power a small unit for your unit.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
JZ,
Alm is probably referring to a sway control device, and the simplest/least expensive type, a friction bar. The terminology is confusing because those are sometimes called anti-sway bars.
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-17200-Sway-Control-Kit/dp/B000HL...

Yes, this exact thing.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 06:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
I wouldn't worry about the microwave use, but the AC is another story. We used our microwave a fair amount, but really, how many minutes is it drawing 1000w? I wonder if there isn't a much less power draw way of cooling. I suspect you will want it. If i remember right, it takes about 800 watts to get 2/3 ton cooling (8000btu/hr)

Not only A/C draws a lot but it does this for many-many hours.

Microwave is doable with a solar of this size and an inverter 2,000W or bigger. Battery bank should be at least 150 AH if Lithium, considering electric fridge. Microwave rating 1000W is a "cooking power", for housewives mostly. It may draw 1,200-1,500W post-inverter.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 08:24 PM

We are going to wait and see on the A/C. We have two roof (fantastic) fans and run one pulling and one pushing, the two night we used them I had to get up about one AM and shut them down because it was cold. Also the trailer has seven windows that open with screens for ventilation. We tend to move with the weather or go up in elevation. This will be easier with retirement in November.
I don't see using the microwave much, the previous owners guilty pleasurer was microwave popcorn, hence the addition. We have an ARB fridge in the truck so I'm not sure we will need the fridge in the trailer, time will tell? All lighting is LED so very little power there. The soft start AC units on the market draw very little power once they (wind up) and only need to maintain the cold. With 400ah of batteries and solar going I could run many hours on just batterie power, we do have a small 2200w generator. I don't know a lot about solar so the learning process has started.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 08:30 PM

If you are going to Baja in the summers I'd definitely get an AC. And have a small generator.

Get one of those things that helps with the surge when the AC kicks on so the generator can be smaller.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 08:53 PM

That's the soft start AC, they roll on slow and ramp up rather than just kick on at full power. I really prefer Baja in winter, to many other awesome places to be in the summer and for that I have a heater.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 03:24 PM

We are going to wait and see on the A/C. We have two roof (fantastic) fans and run one pulling and one pushing,

This is good. Everybody and his uncle seem to install Fantastic in roof vents in trailers and 5-ers.

The soft start AC units on the market draw very little power once they (wind up) and only need to maintain the cold. With 400ah of batteries and solar going I could run many hours on just batterie power, we do have a small 2200w generator. I don't know a lot about solar so the learning process has started.

Soft start doesn't result in much lower total draw. It's still 50-60 amps DC (at least), cycle depends on the outside temps and can be 70% or higher when it's hot, it's a fiberglass box, not a brick house. If you confirmed 400AH capacity (I missed that), this is 320AH usable charge, so - one night to drain the batts completely. A/C is probably 110V. Will be easier to just run a generator, less losses than running a battery and then charging it with generator again. In winter you'll be fine, not much need for A/C.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 05:20 PM

Thanks Alm, that good info. I agree, we can just fire up the generator for a little while.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 06:15 PM

I agree, if you have that generator along, it should handle the AC if you do find you want it and the batteries should handle everything else off the solar. 440w solar panels is far more than most have on their RV's. Now they are making 440 watt single panels is that what you have?
We actually chose Baja Pacific coast to build as it has the very best solar gain we could find anyplace in the three major NA countries and the average min/max year round temps are very moderate, spanning our comfortable room temps by 20 degrees F in both directions, heating and cooling.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 08:47 PM

We have six ultra thin panels, not sure of the brand. The controller and other electronics were just upgraded as well. It is also wired to add a suit case style panel as well, one plug for a panel with a controller and one plug for a stand alone panel.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 09:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
440w solar panels is far more than most have on their RV's. Now they are making 440 watt single panels is that what you have?
We actually chose Baja Pacific coast to build as it has the very best solar gain we could find anyplace in the three major NA countries and the average min/max year round temps are very moderate, spanning our comfortable room temps by 20 degrees F in both directions, heating and cooling.

No, several thin flexible panels glued to the roof. They are often less efficient than rigid panels. 440W today is modest but his is a small trailer, hard to fit more. Years ago I put 450W on my 24ft trailer, it was considered big back then, now people put 600-800W on a trailer of this size. Solar harvest in winter is half of what it is in summer, even in a good weather. It does get to 30s in some places at night, but heating is only needed during supper time and at breakfast, not in the night. After sunrise these boxes warm up instantly.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.