Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Covid testing
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 12:47 PM
Covid testing

Thinking about flying to Loreto. For my return to Canada, I need a PCR negative Covid test 72 hours max, before I land at home.

Anyone had a PCR test in Mulege or Loreto ?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 01:53 PM

We got them in Loreto. It was a small clinic. Took about 10-15 mins for 3 of us. The hotel gave us the address and I didn't save it. They email you the results. Took a couple hours to get them. Just show them to the airline on your phone.

On certain days they will come to your hotel. Don't wait until the last day, they might be closed.

There are now self administered tests you can take. They are protected over a video call. You might look into that. I believe the airlines accept them.

Be at the airport earlier than normal. We showed up about 55 mins before the flight and one guy hassled us really bad asking why we were late and threatened to not let us on the plane. Went on and on even though he had no intention to not let us fly. There were 5 ppl in front of us. Then he didn't say a word to 6 ppl that showed up behind us, but again really hassled some ppl after that group. My wife was p!ssed off.

All caused by the rental car guy taking forever to checkin the car.

[Edited on 8-11-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 06:47 PM

I have received testing 3 times in Loreto. As of 3 weeks ago the cost was $46 or 900 pesos. You can make an appointment and then go within 72 hours of your flight. As JZ said they E-mail you the results and if you do not have a printer available you can go back in and they would print out the form. I have not used my phone to show proof.

The "laboratory" is located 1/2 block north of Pescador supermarket down stair from the gym. It's a 2 story building and their office is downstairs. It's actually just a sparsely furnished office and they send the samples out for testing.

If you are flying north on say a Friday, go in to make the appt. around Monday or Tuesday for testing on Wednesday. That way it will give you plenty peace of mind. I have no idea why they need an appt. as there never is a line or their busy but it is Mexico and it's just there way.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 06:34 AM

Thanks Howard

Just to confirm, it is a PCR test? Any other type of test is not recognized by the Canadian Border Agents.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 08:22 AM

Sr. Canuck

I just sent you a U2U.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
Thanks Howard

Just to confirm, it is a PCR test? Any other type of test is not recognized by the Canadian Border Agents.

To fly directly to Canada you need a PCR test. When I left in May, the facility at SJD only did antigen tests. I don't imagine that the Loreto airport does PCR either. In May, I was told that all of the PCR tests done in Los Cabos are sent to La Paz. This requires some careful planning to stay within the 72 hour time restriction. If you fly to Canada via the US, you can do the antigen test to get on the plane to the US. But then you will need to get a quick PCR test done in the US. Many of the large airports in the US have this service available.

But, things keep changing rapidly. When are you planning to go? It is all doable. Make a plan and be prepared to change it.:?::yes:
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eastmeetswest  
Thanks Howard

To fly directly to Canada you need a PCR test. When I left in May, the facility at SJD only did antigen tests. I don't imagine that the Loreto airport does PCR either. In May, I was told that all of the PCR tests done in Los Cabos are sent to La Paz. This requires some careful planning to stay within the 72 hour time restriction. If you fly to Canada via the US, you can do the antigen test to get on the plane to the US. But then you will need to get a quick PCR test done in the US. Many of the large airports in the US have this service available.

But, things keep changing rapidly. When are you planning to go? It is all doable. Make a plan and be prepared to change it.:?::yes:

I am planning on going in mid October and sailing my Windrider 17 trimaran from BOLA south to Mulege. Just trying to plan flights around Covid-19 protocols to see if this trip is going to be feasible.

Seems doubtful at this point……..
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 01:51 PM

It's the one they push way up your nose.

The ones I've had here just swab around your nostrils.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 01:52 PM

covidTEST.jpg - 47kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 06:10 AM

That is a very comprehensive list!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 07:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

Thanks Bob & Susan

I will contact the offices to see if they offer PCR tests.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 10:10 AM

I understand that Canada accept PCR and NAAT. The latter one is faster, typically same day.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 10:17 AM

I have decided to postpone my sailing trip until next year. Too many hassles with flights and Covid protocols.

Hopefully the US opens the border to vehicle traffic from Canada this fall. We opened our border to fully vaccinated US travellers a few days ago, but so far the US has not reciprocated.

Hope to be in Mulege this winter…….
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

I understand that Canada accept PCR and NAAT. The latter one is faster, typically same day.

Got this quote off the Canadian Government’s website

“All travellers must provide one of the accepted types of tests, not an antigen test, including those who are fully vaccinated. These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests: PCR - Polymerase chain reaction. RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR.”
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by eastmeetswest  
If you fly to Canada via the US, you can do the antigen test to get on the plane to the US. But then you will need to get a quick PCR test done in the US.

The quick one must be ID NOW NAAT. PCR takers longer. Many locations for NAAT and it's really quick, couple of hours. Walgreens
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 10:27 AM

Got this quote off the Canadian Government’s website

“All travellers must provide one of the accepted types of tests, not an antigen test, including those who are fully vaccinated. These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests: PCR - Polymerase chain reaction. RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR.”

Complete quote on travel.gc.ca goes like that:

PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
Isothermal amplification
Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
Ct (cycle threshold)
CRISPR
Sequencing
Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
Detection of the N gene
Detection of Orf1a/b
Detection of the S gene
Detection of the E gene
Detection of the RdRp gene
Only PCR and NAAT are common and/or affordable.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 10:39 AM

Your correct Aim.

NAAT tests are on the accepted list.

Thanks for the info.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 11:21 AM

Alright, so now is a question - is any lab in Loreto doing NAAT test?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.