Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: daytime highway robbery hwy 5
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 09:24 PM
... And more crime yet

I wrote last year about people getting ambushed on (unfinished back then) stretch of the Hwy 5. The consensus on this board was that such things don't happen. Travelling in a group didn't help this time.

Ron Gomez Hoff shared a post to the group: Talk Baja.
Caravan of Tourists Ambushed on Highway 5

Edit to Add: This occurred during broad daylight and we now know that one of the stolen vehicles was recovered by LE yesterday afternoon
--------------------------------------------------------
Dejando Huella is a local and very reliable news source operated by my good friend Angel Anguiano who has very good sources with the local, state and federal police / national guard.

Angel reported earlier this morning that last Wednesday, August 11, tourists traveling in a caravan of three vehicles were ambushed at kilometer 148 on the Puertecitos-Chapala Highway.

Authorities were contacted by the manager of a local business in Bahia San Luis Gonzaga who informed the responding officers of a group of 7 foreigners who arrived, stating that while traveling on the Puertecitos-Chapala Highway, a black Toyota Tundra Pickup Vehicle blocked their way.
Several armed men wearing hoods got out of the vehicle blocking the highway and took their personal belongings and then fled northbound with their vehicles.

The vehicles reported stolen are a black Chevrolet Tahoe, a white Toyota Tacoma Pickup and a Toyota 4Runner truck.
-------------------------------------------------------
*** This has been a concern of mine and why I do not personally recommend that long, remote section of highway to travelers. It's an open invitation for such types of events. I understand that others may feel differently but that's just my dos centavos *** (Ron Hoff)

Dejando Huella Noticiero
1tSpo1rnsosrehgudn ·
Viernes 13 de Agosto del 2021
De manera extraoficial, se dio a conocer que el pasado Miércoles 11 de Agosto, se suscitó un robo con violencia en el kilómetro 148 sobre la Carretera Puertecitos-Chapala, en Bahía San Luis Gonzaga.
Autoridades se dirigieron al lugar, donde entrevistaron a la persona encargada de un negocio local, quien les refirió que aproximadamente a las 10:35 hrs del Miércoles 11 de Agosto, arribaron 7 personas extranjeras, las cuales manifestaron que, al ir transitando por la Carretera Puertecitos-Chapala, les bloqueó el camino un Vehiculo Pick up Toyota Tundra de color negro.
De dicho vehículo bajaron varios sujetos con capucha y armados, mismos que los despojaron de sus vehículos, siendo una camioneta Tahoe color negro, un Pick Up Toyota Tacoma color blanco y una camioneta 4Runner, así como de sus pertenencias, para después emprender la huida hacia el norte.
Por lo que se dio inicio con las investigaciones pertinentes ante este suceso.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 09:36 PM

WOW, I missed the post last year, I thought this was the first reporting.
So one of the cars from this weeks hijack was recover? Where at?
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 09:52 PM

I did try to save some of Bajas reputation by pointing out (not making a point) that crime is here and there and everywhere. My example was a robbery in France as an example that crime is all over the world and not only in Baja.
But I had to learn that trying to save Bajas reputation is not really welcome on this board. My thread was closed before a real discussion could start. Well, I am a fast learner - I think! That`s why I now recommand to all existing readers and all newcomers on this board: Do not come to Baja!!! Never cros the border into Mexico - especially not into Baja! Never consider traveling to Baja! Not by plane - you might get robbed before you reach your hotel. Maybe by the Taxi driver, possible, or not? Nor travel by car. Driving along the MX 1 from TJ to CSL is highly dangerous. Even more if you try to use Hwy 5. You can get robbed on daytime everywhere along all Baja roads!!! And no police is helping you. There is no place in the world w/ more crime than in Baja! Think about making vacation in another country but not Baja!!!! That is my well ment recommenadation of the day!!!!!!!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 10:32 PM

your German humor is a bit rough on the edges

Harald Pietschmann
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 10:40 PM

Interesting, by my calculations this robbery took place about 4 KM south of the military checkpoint north of Gonzaga. That checkpoint is always maned. The road south is wide and straight for a number of KM. Thieves fleeing north would pass back through the same checkpoint that the 3 vehicles had just stopped at, only now with different drivers armed with guns! The military might have been involved but, I doubt it! There doesn't seem to be a way around the checkpoint which is why it’s where it’s at.

Does this story strike anyone else as strange?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 10:57 PM

the car jacking was reported from km 148
it did not happen there
we do not know yet whether it happened north or south from there

[Edited on 8-14-2021 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 11:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Interesting, by my calculations this robbery took place about 4 KM south of the military checkpoint north of Gonzaga. That checkpoint is always maned. The road south is wide and straight for a number of KM. Thieves fleeing north would pass back through the same checkpoint that the 3 vehicles had just stopped at, only now with different drivers armed with guns! The military might have been involved but, I doubt it! There doesn't seem to be a way around the checkpoint which is why it’s where it’s at.

Does this story strike anyone else as strange?

Multiple recent reports the checkpoint is not currently manned.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 07:30 AM

This is scary stuff. To take on a caravan of people? Not a good sign.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 07:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
your German humor is a bit rough on the edges

I have no sense of humor in this matter. Opposite. If I am trying to salvage some Baja reputation out of those many crime reports postet here lately, and it is not appreciated what I am doing, then I have to conclude that I did something wrong by "helping Baja". After pointing out that crime is everywhere in the world not exessively in Baja - i.e. in France - I have to conclude that such attempt to "help Baja" is not wanted here. So I go with the flow doing what others do. It`s called "mainstream".
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 08:22 AM

Relax! Have a Margarita.

Harald Pietschmann
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 08:28 AM

The cartels don't like rogue operators. They don't like the attention.

Did the group get perceived as a threat for some reason?

Guessing they were targeted up north on the road first and then the robbery occurred.

Third vehicle should of been laying back if a threat was recognized earlier on the road.

Es Todo Bueno
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 08:31 AM

Harald,

Most know that Germans have no sense of humor!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

lol.gif posted on 8-14-2021 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
I did try to save some of Bajas reputation by pointing out (not making a point) that crime is here and there and everywhere. My example was a robbery in France as an example that crime is all over the world and not only in Baja.
But I had to learn that trying to save Bajas reputation is not really welcome on this board. My thread was closed before a real discussion could start. Well, I am a fast learner - I think! That`s why I now recommand to all existing readers and all newcomers on this board: Do not come to Baja!!! Never cros the border into Mexico - especially not into Baja! Never consider traveling to Baja! Not by plane - you might get robbed before you reach your hotel. Maybe by the Taxi driver, possible, or not? Nor travel by car. Driving along the MX 1 from TJ to CSL is highly dangerous. Even more if you try to use Hwy 5. You can get robbed on daytime everywhere along all Baja roads!!! And no police is helping you. There is no place in the world w/ more crime than in Baja! Think about making vacation in another country but not Baja!!!! That is my well ment recommenadation of the day!!!!!!!

The purpose of sharing this type of news is not meant to scare people away from Baja, only to take notice and exercise more caution when planning their travel.

Right now when people ask me for advice about driving down here I tell them to be sure to service and check their vehicles before traveling for things like coolant leaks, belts, tires, spare, brakes, etc.

I am also advising them to avoid the Mex 5 south of San Luis Gonzaga until more military/LE presence returns.

When traveling along remote areas of the Transpeninsular north and south of Guerrero Negro, best to get behind a big rig heading in the same direction and stick within 100 feet of their back bumper as there have been several reports this last couple of years of locals getting carjacked/chased on Hwy 1 from Punta Prieta to GN and GN to Vizcaino.

And plan your trip to avoid driving at night.

I believe that most of us take different levels of precaution when driving in areas of the US and it is logical that we must adjust and take measured levels of precaution down here in response to such types of incidents.

Unfortunate, but it is the reality of the world today. However nobody is telling people not to come down to Baja anymore.

Well... maybe a few surfers I know.

:lol::lol::lol:

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Harald,

Most know that Germans have no sense of humor!

I am German - I know only too well.
I have been working hard to mellow out
25 years in SoCal made me a better man
but genes are hard to beat

Harald Pietschmann
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 09:55 AM

Relax - take Hyw 1 for awhile . Sample some wine on the way - lots of good food and fresh Oysters in San Quintin!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
8-14-2021 at 10:38 AM
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 11:12 AM

The report says it happened in broad daylight. Black pickup was blocking the road. When you see somebody blocking the road - and it is not militaries - maybe turn around and hightail back to Gonzaga, come again next day? My car is beaten up, but who knows - if guys are having a bad day, no catch, anything will do.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
The report says it happened in broad daylight. Black pickup was blocking the road. When you see somebody blocking the road - and it is not militaries - maybe turn around and hightail back to Gonzaga, come again next day? My car is beaten up, but who knows - if guys are having a bad day, no catch, anything will do.

Get a big redneck lifted 4 wheel pickup with a cowcatcher mounted on the front and just floor it and plow on through to your destination and drag the casualties along until they scrape off on the road.

[Edited on 8-14-2021 by LancairDriver]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 12:40 PM

Yep....keyboard Rambo solutions are the ticket.... :rolleyes:

Don't believe everything you think....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 12:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Yep....keyboard Rambo solutions are the ticket.... :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 12:52 PM

And they said hwy 5 would be such a boon to all of us. It's been a boon, but not just for us. Others were paying attention.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.