Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: daytime highway robbery hwy 5
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 01:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Interesting, by my calculations this robbery took place about 4 KM south of the military checkpoint north of Gonzaga. That checkpoint is always maned. The road south is wide and straight for a number of KM. Thieves fleeing north would pass back through the same checkpoint that the 3 vehicles had just stopped at, only now with different drivers armed with guns! The military might have been involved but, I doubt it! There doesn't seem to be a way around the checkpoint which is why it’s where it’s at.

Does this story strike anyone else as strange?

2nd week in June I went though that checkpoint Northbound middle of the day and it was unmanned.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 01:13 PM

To sum up: Traveling in a caravan to be safe is overrated, if not feckless
Daylight carjackings of tourists makes sense since the "never drive at night" mantra would yield few prospects. i.e., daytime is when it will happen.
Have a Plan B and good insurance; travel insurance, evacuation insurance.

Maybe start brainstorming some tactical maneuvers. Turn on your phone video before approaching the roadblock?
Decide to turn around well before the roadblock and observe from a distance?
Call Baja emergency numbers or ?? to warn of situation?
?? Need more Baja travel preparations of a different kind. A damn shame.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 04:51 PM

I’m justa guy who’s been around the block a few times. Sounds like a targeted ambush to me. Why would a tundra full of guys just be hanging out letting cars go by until this caravan showed up, like an oasis in the desert, so to speak? Seems all too convenient they knew the vehicles were moving and set up around a blind curve where there was nowhere to swerve around the bad guys. This isn’t the MO of a bunch of tweekers out to rob travelers.
Nobody is describing weapons used or tactics to get the cars to stop. All hush hush because they probably know why it happened to them in particular. Somebody peeed off the wrong person who knew somebody and wanted to send a message. The cars were the icing on top!
YMMV
Edit: What kind of “tourists?” That just tells me they werent from gonzaga. Mexicans can be tourists, right? Or were they described as “travelers?”

[Edited on 8-14-2021 by woody with a view]

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 05:33 PM

Harald,

Most know that Germans have no sense of humor!

there's a pretty happy German that went 1-1 at Unadilla today! btw AMLO is shutting down military checkpoints as we speak, thank you sir!:coolup:

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by del mar]
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 05:45 PM

Maybe it was a distraction to further confuse the blowhards who thought Trump would be reinstated. Maybe another Anitifa move like January 6. Might be a good opportunity to buy a pillow company:light:

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 05:53 PM

Personally, I always considered the Mexican Army as armed gate guards. I’ll be sorry to see them go!
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 05:58 PM

Personally, I always considered the Mexican Army as armed gate guards. I’ll be sorry to see them go!

the dog and pony show is over, AMLO is putting these fellows to work
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 06:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
What kind of “tourists?” That just tells me they werent from gonzaga. Mexicans can be tourists, right? Or were they described as “travelers?”

They were described as foreigners. Not Mexicans. Robbers could've "cased the joint", driving by the hotel where tourists stayed the night before - likely in Gonzaga area. Doesn't mean targeted, just doing their homework.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 08:13 PM

That checkpoint is always maned. The road south is wide and straight for a number of KM. Thieves fleeing north would pass back through the same checkpoint that the 3 vehicles had just stopped at, only now with different drivers armed with guns! The military might have been involved but, I doubt it! There doesn't seem to be a way around the checkpoint which is why it’s where it’s at.

Does this story strike anyone else as strange?

I don't doubt the military could have easily been involved. By military, it only takes one person with a phone.

There are many stories written about corrupt military personnel. Don't trust them. If the perps went through the checkpoint, the checkpoint was in on it!

Wake up!

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 08:37 PM

Whole thing seems odd. Enough time has passed there should have been more details out by now

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2021 at 06:56 AM

Reported yesterday (8/14) post on TalkBaja:
Melinda Harries
"It’s reported on Baja Nomads as occurring at 10:35 am , broad daylight ..... our camp at 133 K was just hit by brazen robbers of 6 homes -
Puertecitos , San Felipe, and Ensenada Police Dept came to the scene and posted robbers photos on FB , 2 of which have been apprehended. 24/7 camp security is now necessary , with locked gate now in place....very tragic .....almost 20 years in Las Encantadas without any incident until last month . Double deadbolts now being installed on all man doors - hoping the military check points resume soon."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-15-2021 at 08:54 AM

"Bad roads, good people; Good roads, all kinds of people"
Mama Espinoza, 1973

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2021 at 09:45 AM

A roll of the dice.

Danger is always lurking.

Reduce your risk.

If they want you they’ll get you.

Enjoy the day and the moment.

If something bad happens, give away everything and run.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2021 at 11:37 AM

Any more details on this ? Happened 4 days ago
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2021 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

They were described as foreigners. Not Mexicans. Robbers could've "cased the joint", driving by the hotel where tourists stayed the night before - likely in Gonzaga area. Doesn't mean targeted, just doing their homework.
Agreed. Similar to my thoughts - caravaners were observed at campground or hotel the night before and determined to be traveling south - perps planned the ambush for the next morning.

"I'm too young to be this old!"
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2021 at 05:19 PM

Coco has long been warning me about driving at night near his old corner. I stopped camping at the Calamajue fish camp at his insistence. He used to say the bad hombres used a black pickup truck to stop people out on the roads at night.

Connection? Perhaps they recently changed tactics or got desperate enough to rob people in broad daylight.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-15-2021 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
To sum up: Traveling in a caravan to be safe is overrated, if not feckless
Daylight carjackings of tourists makes sense since the "never drive at night" mantra would yield few prospects. i.e., daytime is when it will happen.
Have a Plan B and good insurance; travel insurance, evacuation insurance.

Maybe start brainstorming some tactical maneuvers. Turn on your phone video before approaching the roadblock?
Decide to turn around well before the roadblock and observe from a distance?
Call Baja emergency numbers or ?? to warn of situation?
?? Need more Baja travel preparations of a different kind. A damn shame.

Well, I disagree that traveling in a caravan has no merit, with regards to safety. It's worked well enough for many groups over the years, that this might be the first case I can remember of multiple vehicles being stopped and stolen. Unless it was a vehicle towing a vehicle.

Plus, there's the likelihood of someone making an escape to notify authorities, if there are numbers.

A good plan might be to travel in a caravan, separated by a distance of a mile or less, and have radio contact with each other. (draw straws to see who leads each day? :lol: ). If something looks suspicious, alert others on the radio (cell phones and/or texting can be too slow and the signal unreliable).

My guess is bad perps are now aware that the military is now gone and the local police are either in collusion, ineffective or intimidated by their presence. In short, it's the Wild West again. Easy pickings.

Gang vs. gang would be my second guess.

I imagine most have seen the recent article in Mexico News Daily about the thousands of people fleeing an area of Michoacan (what else is new?) because gangs/cartels have forced them off their properties and the military refuses to do anything about it.

AMLO is a complete fool. Probably honest, but a complete fool.

Mexico could go downhill fast if the military sits in their barracks/encampments and simply waits for Mexico to be "invaded" by foreigners before they do anything, anymore. The enemy is within.

His much ballyhooed Guarda Nacional do virtually nothing.

Sad, really. He's a poor representative of a decent political movement, Morena.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-15-2021 at 09:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

His much ballyhooed Guarda Nacional do virtually nothing.

Except for handing out a ton of speeding tickets going into San Felipe these days.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-17-2021 at 01:59 PM

THANK YOU Buss666 you saved me a bunch of money as we were planning on going to PC and buy a place on the beach from Robin next month--as we live in Az we would have gone down #5 too --I'll now just stay here and fish Lake Powell and other lakes--We enjoyed Baja from 74 to 2010-- when it was safe--never again i fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you get your vehicles back soon!!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2021 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  
THANK YOU Buss666 you saved me a bunch of money as we were planning on going to PC and buy a place on the beach from Robin next month--as we live in Az we would have gone down #5 too --I'll now just stay here and fish Lake Powell and other lakes--We enjoyed Baja from 74 to 2010-- when it was safe--never again i fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you get your vehicles back soon!!

Does Lake Powell still have water in it? ;)

Just kiddin'. I'm sure levels will come back up........probably........maybe. Who knows?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.