Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: More crime - San Matias
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 04:08 PM
More crime - San Matias

Saturday at 09:32 (The 7th)

a 2010 Gold Tundra carjacked east of San Matias at 7:30 this morning. We have reason to believe this is a small local gang. They let our driver keep his license but took everything else. I’m the future we plan to have our employees travel in groups or wait for other cars at the check points and follow them.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by BajaNomad]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 04:13 PM

Where is San matias? What road?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 04:17 PM

Hwy 3

[Edited on 8-13-2021 by PaulW]
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 05:22 PM

Well, I have tried to save Baja's reputation and not rate crime in Baja higher than it happens in any other country in the world. But that's probably not appropriate here. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 08:49 PM

I love Baja as much as the next guy but when thing are happening directly to tourist ( targeted) I pay attention. I tell people ( mostly cops) every day how safe and awesome Baja is, I probably shouldn't but I do! Several car jacking in the span of a week gets my attention and makes me rethink my plans, this should make people happy, fewer gringos in Baja to bother you.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Several car jacking in the span of a week gets my attention and makes me rethink my plans, this should make people happy, fewer gringos in Baja to bother you.

It might make selfish gringos, who want to control the flow of other gringos to their "secret" paradise, happy.

But I bet the vast majority of local Mexicans DO NOT want anything that reduces the flow of Canadian or American dollars or Euros to Mexico. Tourism is still, I believe, the second largest industry in Mexico.

There was a recent news story on news wires about poverty increasing dramatically in Mexico since the pandemic. I believe that the percentage of persons living in poverty in Mexico is now at or above 50%.

The indirect effects of the pandemic can be life-changing in ways not associated with actually contracting the virus. Increased poverty only plays into the hands of the cartels by increasing the desperation of more people. More fodder for cartel-vs-cartel and gang-vs-gang cannons.

But I agree with you. This type of hijacking makes potential tourists sit up and take notice. It should be shared on international news wires.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 08:40 AM

Well said HOOK, I would guess that the pandemic has had a major effect on the economy and will take years to recover.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 08:42 AM

Car jacking and home break-in's are so common in SoCal that the police often don't respond and the news usually doesn't cover them. A couple of break-in’s and car jacking’s over a 1000KM of Baja are not a Cartel Crime Wave!

Anyone consider who usually drives a “Black Yukon” and wonder if there was a bad drug deal or Cartel vs Cartel violence taking place?
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Car jacking and home break-in's are so common in SoCal that the police often don't respond and the news usually doesn't cover them. A couple of break-in’s and car jacking’s over a 1000KM of Baja are not a Cartel Crime Wave!

Anyone consider who usually drives a “Black Yukon” and wonder if there was a bad drug deal or Cartel vs Cartel violence taking place?

Your post seems to be in conflict with itself.

I was only describing the economic conditions that exist in Mexico. People far more savvy than me have already concluded that poor economic conditions force people into cartels/gangs, when the social services network is so inadequate in Mexico.

But, I must say, an armed hijacking of multiple vehicles by multiple persons doesn't sound like an "unorganized" crime of opportunity by unassociated persons, to me.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

I live in CA and have always practiced what I consider common-sense precautions to avoid being ripped-off. In all my life I have NEVER had anything stolen from me other than once a rear license plate was stolen off my SUV while it was parked on a city street over night----something I almost never do. I moved away from the SoCal Coast because I became uncomfortable with what was happening crime-wise. I feel the same about Baja now, and don't go there anymore, and that is a shame.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 09:27 AM

It is a shame... You have a love for Baja unequalled, much like mine. I am in no hurry to go south when these events happen. Covid makes it easy to not go, either.

Along the shores of Bahía de los Angeles, Mary Ann Humfreville being kidnapped (and most likely killed) from her bed in the middle of the night, was pretty ugly. She was a harmless senior citizen and not unkind to anyone. It has been 8 months and she still has not been found.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Where is San matias? What road?

This route connects San Felipe and Ensenada. I don't know whether many tourist are travelling there but there could be a traffic of locals and expats.

[Edited on 8-14-2021 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 11:19 AM

It is also a route between Mexicali and Ensenada, free of steep grades for trucks. That is why the highway joins Hwy. 5, 30 miles north of San Felipe rather than directly into San Felipe.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 12:57 PM

"our employees travel in groups"
Could you put this in context a bit? You have groups of vehicles with several people? All trucks? Looking like tourists? How did they stop you? Armed? How many? Reported? There were several car jackings in the area? What else do you know about them? then what did you do? I agree that Baja travelers should be alerted to incidents that may affect them. A better understanding of the incident may dictate avoiding the area, or being aware of a type of set-up.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 02:19 PM

There is a thing they teach in a number of schools. It’s called situational awareness. It’s always a good idea to practice it wherever you are as people have been shot and robbed in a Walmart parking lot.

It goes without saying to practice it in Mexico!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It is also a route between Mexicali and Ensenada, free of steep grades for trucks. That is why the highway joins Hwy. 5, 30 miles north of San Felipe rather than directly into San Felipe.

This is much longer than taking 2D to Tecate and then Hwy 3 to Ensenada. Maybe San Matias route is better for real "trucks" but those don't seem to be hijacked often, not yet :)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

This is much longer than taking 2D to Tecate and then Hwy 3 to Ensenada. Maybe San Matias route is better for real "trucks" but those don't seem to be hijacked often, not yet :)

Who knows the logic of Mexican Highway Engineers?

The super-steep Rumorosa Grade on Hwy. 2 (2-D) may be an issue for some trucks, maybe back when there was just one lane in each direction?

The Ensenada to Mex 5 highway was completed by early 1978. It was originally BC #16.

I am not sure when the new, 4-lane Highway 2/ La Rumorosa Grade was completed? I used in in 2001, for the first time.

Kind of crazy when the Feds took it over. Instead of a new highway name, they used the Tecate to Ensenada highway number! (Mex #3). One Mex 3 is a North-South highway and the other Mex #3 is and East-West highway! The new Libramiento de Ensenada finally connects the two.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 03:59 PM

In the US I'm not worried about being car jacked because I'm armed and trained. In Mexico I would either have to hit them or make a run for it, stopping would not be a good option! One car might be manageable to deal with or get away from but multiple cars and people is a game changer. I would not think cartel would want to bring this kind of attention on them self's, maybe another gang running on their own.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 05:46 PM

If you aren't worried, why are you packin' ?:?:

Don't believe everything you think....
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2021 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
If you aren't worried, why are you packin' ?:?:

Maybe he's not worried because he IS packing.

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.