BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexican Sentri holder question
TJ Flyer

[*] posted on 8-17-2021 at 04:28 PM
Mexican Sentri holder question

Does anyone know if Mexican nationals that are in the Sentri program and have a current Sentri card have been able to enter the US via the Sentri lanes - driving or walking - during the border restrictions?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2021 at 04:56 PM

I don't think SENTRI makes any difference. The question is what the US considers essential travel.

See: https://mx.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
TJ Flyer

[*] posted on 8-17-2021 at 04:58 PM

Yes, I understand that, but I am wondering if anyone knows any Mexican nationals that have Sentri and not considered essential workers, yet are able to cross....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-17-2021 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TJ Flyer  
Yes, I understand that, but I am wondering if anyone knows any Mexican nationals that have Sentri and not considered essential workers, yet are able to cross....

mexican citizens with sentri cannot enter unless they got green card (or a few other rare special cases).

sentri has nothing to do with covid status. no sentri special privileges re covid rules

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2021 at 09:17 AM

Anyone with a Sentri can cross at any time, provided they're allowed into the US, regardless of their nationality.

[Edited on 8-18-2021 by tjsue]
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 08:31 AM

Huh, border restrictions ?
TJ Flyer

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 08:38 AM

Just asking if Mexican Sentri holders are able to drive or walk across to the US during the current border restrictions. I understand that US citizens, green card holders and essential workers able to cross, but wondering about Mexicans that are in Sentri program....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TJ Flyer  
Just asking if Mexican Sentri holders are able to drive or walk across to the US during the current border restrictions. I understand that US citizens, green card holders and essential workers able to cross, but wondering about Mexicans that are in Sentri program....

no. sentri gives no extra privileges regarding covid border restrictions on land crossings.

for mexicans prevented from land crossing, the way for to enter usa is by air. most covid restrictions do not apply for air travel across border.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TJ Flyer

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 04:00 PM

That's what I thought.... thanks!
Durwin

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 07:32 PM

I know that this does not directly pertain to the original question, but when I crossed through Mexicali in June and Tecate in July, there were no restrictions.

All of the Mexican police were wearing masks on the Southern side of the gate/wall, the Americans were not wearing masks twenty feet away on the Northern side of the gate/wall.

Weird.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2021 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Durwin  
I know that this does not directly pertain to the original question, but when I crossed through Mexicali in June and Tecate in July, there were no restrictions.

All of the Mexican police were wearing masks on the Southern side of the gate/wall, the Americans were not wearing masks twenty feet away on the Northern side of the gate/wall.

Weird.

There are restrictions to cross North - only US citizens, greencard holders and essential travellers are allowed. There are no restrictions to go South, Mexico don't comply with the 3-lateral agreement.

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2021 at 09:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Mexico don't comply with the 3-lateral agreement.

Wich agreement is this, what part are they ignoring? Is Mexico actually in violation of something they signed up for?

On March 17, 2020, the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico entered an agreement to close their respective borders to non-essential travel for 30 days as a means to reduce the spread of Covid-19, subject to renewal for successive 30-day periods.

The U.S.A. and Canada have each extended their respective bans on non-essential travel into their respective countries every thirty days since then, however Mexico has chosen not to extend those restrictions and have let them expire in their country.

Mexico is not in violation of any treaty, law, contract or agreement by choosing not to extend the temporary restrictions because each country retained all rights to control their own borders and none of the three countries obligated themselves to extend the initial 30-day restriction.

The Mexican government's tourism website resumed promotion of tourism to Mexico shortly after the announcement of the Covid-19 vaccines while the governments of Canada and the U.S. have elected instead to continue to restrict access by foreign nationals for "non-essential" purposes.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2021 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  

The U.S.A. and Canada have each extended their respective bans on non-essential travel into their respective countries every thirty days since then, however Mexico has chosen not to extend those restrictions and have let them expire in their country.

Mexico didn't close their border for 30 days in 2020 either. On the paper - maybe, yes.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.