Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  111
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 10:22 AM

Sure, it was a meme on Facebook but addressed the truth about sea level. High tide is often several feet more than low tide.

In your area: Are the salt flats of San Quintín, that were worked for salt in the 1700s, underwater now, or still dry between highest tides? Surely, if the sea level was rising at an alarming rate, 250 years should have been enough to cover them all the time?

Believe what you want... but I know what I can see. I am not denying the sea level has changed over the years... Nothing is static. However, to scare children and fools into this "the world has only 12 years left" is just sad.

Life should be enjoyed, not feared.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 11:20 AM

The facts in Asia are somewhat different!

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/19/coal-prices-the-worlds-least...
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 11:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Climate change is being promoted just so countries can justify the expansion of government.

They are using it to wrestle control away from free enterprise.
When was the last time the government innovated on anything?

Hard pass.

[Edited on 8-18-2021 by JZ]

You're kidding, right? Do you just bypass all the evidence?

Yep, that's many peoples' MO on everything they disagree with. Ignore or deny the overwhelming evidence, instead find some BS they read online to support their opinion.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 11:46 AM
This is how much sea level has risen in 20K years

Sea level has risen 350’ since the end of the last ice age 20,000 years ago. Almost the hight of this rocket!

The climate has changed continually as well. 20,000 years ago the Sahara Desert was covered with trees and lakes!

You really can't blame humans for any of the first 19,700 years of these changes!

It’s unclear that short of reducing the world’s population by half any other measures will do more than slow the rate of change!

Putting people who don’t follow their own rules in charge won’t solve it either!

A18A0F78-4BD7-4C48-BBCF-FFAFD0E30FA0.jpeg - 234kB

[Edited on 8-19-2021 by RFClark]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Split
8-19-2021 at 01:55 PM
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 03:28 PM

It had never rained here before — until this week

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/weather/greenland-summit-rain...

Dk, don’t bother to read it, we know your mind is closed off, lost forever — you will surely not believe anything if not measured in palm trees…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

A combined cycle plant could have total capital costs of $0.07 per kilowatt-hour to $0.08 cents per kilowatt-hour, if natural gas prices remain at $5 per MMBTU

Natural gas is a generating cost, not a capital cost.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 04:29 PM

I would not be surprised that DK's palm tree is still relatively dry because any expansion/inflow to the Sea of Cortez likely just fills in areas left dry by the massive depletion of the Colorado River inflow, which has been tapped out. So, it may take much more time to show any significant rise compared to many Pacific islands that seem to show documented sea level rise. We do know that the entrance to the delta used to be extremely hazardous for ships entering the Colorado River from the SOC.

Just a thought.

John

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2021 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I would not be surprised that DK's palm tree is still relatively dry because any expansion/inflow to the Sea of Cortez likely just fills in areas left dry by the massive depletion of the Colorado River inflow, which has been tapped out. So, it may take much more time to show any significant rise compared to many Pacific islands that seem to show documented sea level rise. We do know that the entrance to the delta used to be extremely hazardous for ships entering the Colorado River from the SOC.

Just a thought.

John

That is a ridiculous justification to continue ignoring what you actually see and continue hypothesizing about things you dont know about.
The fact will always remain that the earth will continue evolving… When the Sun eventually burns out- which it certainly will- then humankind will have a real dilemma on their hands. Maybe science will figure out a way to compensate for that. Maybe not.

Either way, that inevitability will make the current debate about mans role in climate change seem pretty moot.

Go have some tacos, a cold beer and enjoy the time you actually have here.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
In your area: Are the salt flats of San Quintín, that were worked for salt in the 1700s, underwater now, or still dry between highest tides? Surely, if the sea level was rising at an alarming rate, 250 years should have been enough to cover them all the time?

If you had ever spent time living along the edge of the sea David you would learn that beaches change over time with surges and currents pulling and leaving sand in cycles.

We witness that cycle play out right out in front of us on the beach below us here at La Chorera where a large piece of volcanic rock sticks out close to the high tide line, sometimes as much as 6 or 7 feet in the air during the summer only to completely disappear for months at other times of the year, covered in sand and usually in the late winter/early spring months of each year.

So happens too with those salt flats just a mile or so north of us; the relative level of sand rises and declines each year with the currents and surges. It might appear to someone not watching closely that nothing changes.

But it does. The coastline is always adjusting with the changes.

So too could happen with your palm tree, the beach there could simply be rising with the currents and even mild coastal surges, and yes - increase in sea level - appearing to remain at the same relative distance from the water when it is quite likely that a few to several inches of the trunk have simply been covered up by the increasing levels of sand.

Is it consistent everywhere? No - based on the underwater topography out in front as well as the tides and current, the change may appear severe in some areas while other beaches see little relative difference.

Hard to say for sure either way but exactly why such photographic comparisons without much other data are simply anecdotal and really prove nothing.

However that doesn't mean I am crying the end is near due to global warming.

I tend to be more moderate and while I agree the earth is quite resilient as we witnessed during the peak months of pandemic shutdown last year where many examples were witnessed of the planet rebounding during the months we stayed at home, we must remain vigilant and do everything possible to minimize the damage an ever increasing population is causing to this planet.

There is little doubt in the scientific community these days that we are living in an era of climate change and global warming. There is overwhelming evidence based on slowly rising average air temperatures and sea levels, over 8 inches since 1880 and 3 inches in just the last 25 years. Coastal communities near sea level around the planet are now battling with perennial flooding and the loss of ice mass at the polar extremes is abundantly documented.

The question that remains unanswered in my mind is what percentage of all that change is due to our human activity on this planet vs a natural climatic cycle?

Not sure that we will ever resolve that question to the satisfaction of everyone but there is indisputable evidence today that man made pollution has a very negative impact on this planet and all of it's life forms.

So if we can agree on that, doesn't it make sense to do everything we can to minimize our human impact on this planet for our sake and for the generations still to come?

Assuming you don't support the idea of culling the general population and/or sterilizing women after giving birth to one child then increasing levels of protective measures must be implemented to preserve a planet that is home to an ever-growing population.

At least until we have the technology to ship half of them to mars.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't suspect that climate change will be the end of us anytime soon but you know what will? It's this hateful division in this world today and largely over race, religion and politics, with politics today probably the fastest growing threat.

Ignorant fools have been fighting wars over religion and race since the beginning of time and that's unlikely to change.

Over the last 20 years I have watched this increasing hostility and divisiveness in US politics get to the point where compromise and civil discourse has slowly eroded away leaving us today with a scenario where a political "win" is more important than whether or not it really makes good sense, is fair and good long term policy based on morally sound judgement.

Everything today in politics is like a high school football game of fierce cross-town rivals with their fans loudly crying blind support for their team winning - even by cheating if necessary - while simultaneously screaming hate, disdain and even death for the opposing side, treating each and every play in the game as if it were a matter or life and death with extreme factions using the political momentum to push their racist and idiotic agendas of hate.

When I heard people mention the possibility of another American Civil War coming 20 years ago, I laughed at the idea.

I am not laughing anymore and all one needs to do is research and study the political/social climate in the US prior to 1860 to understand how much trouble we are in today.

That is what I MOST fear today. Not global warming...

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 11:14 AM

Then there's this one. Rapid expansion in emerging markets power demands force expansion of not always the best power sources. Theres no excuse for Canada tho. We pay a lot of taxes supposedly directed for climate change
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/annual-change-low-carbon-...

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/annual-change-low-carbon-...

[Edited on 8-19-2021 by JDCanuck]
Maybe your taxes up there would be lower if you weren't subsidizing the oil sand bitumen industry where the costs of production are higher than the value of the commodity.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 11:24 AM

Mexico may have a really difficult time adding in the carbon capture as it would be an additional expense and CFE which is the primary owner is struggling financially. What happened to all the huge solar utility plans that were in place previously for La Paz and other areas?
There is currently a fully operational solar installation in Ciudad Insurgente with a large grid scale battery sitting idle due to the government playing games with the permitting process.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 12:17 PM

Our US ride is a Hyundai Ioniq plug hybrid! 27 miles electric only and 60 mpg or more on gas. Not terribly expensive either.

Our ride in Mexico does better than 40 mpg! The house in Mexico is off the grid totally!

As to the fluctuating sea level! A 350’ rise in the last 20K years! That said the technology to accurately measure the rise and fall of the shore has only existed since the GPS constellation was launched.

However anyone driving south from Palm Springs past the Salton Sea can see the watermarks on the rocks showing 20’-30’ up on the rocks. Ditto for south of Mexicali on HWY5. You see the same 20’-30’! Did the sea rise or the land subside or both? The Naples area of Italy rises and falls 10s of feet because of the volcano next to it and has since at least Roman times!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 12:32 PM
660CC Daihatsu hijet mini 4x4!

8EFE7A63-B628-4E5A-8051-E50BA0FC45B5.jpeg - 245kB
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 12:33 PM

enjoy the ride guys!

where to sit.jpeg - 66kB

Harald Pietschmann
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 01:02 PM

Imported and RH drive!

4x4abc

Reduce the earth’s population by 1/2 and learn to swim! All else is moving around the deckchairs! Of course we could reduce the amount of sunlight striking the earth, but that wouldn’t put the “proper people” in charge would it?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 01:11 PM

I am dismayed by the message being fed to my young grandchildren that the world is coming to an end by climate alarmists. Over the past 30 years I have seen massive shifts to reduce both energy usage by individuals and at the same time huge improvements by power utilities as they converted from primarily coal and oil to high efficiency natural gas, wind and solar power. Investors will no longer invest in coal or nuclear power as wind and solar are now far cheaper and offer a greater return. It takes time, but we are making fantastic headway.

I agree completely with this. But we can do more.......

At least in the US, the carbon emissions from personal vehicles still rivals the emissions of the energy generating sector. They are both in the 25-30% range. At least it was around 25-30 % before covid. The personal vehicle number may have gone down a bit, since then.

Those are the two largest sources, at least in the U.S. I dont know about China and I always have reservations about statistics from them, anyway.

We still need to find a way to get people out of these ridiculous single-person errands to the store or single-person commutes. If we could cut dramatically into that, there'd be no question about "allowing" people to go on driving vacations or flying vacations.

Did anyone hear about the Green Party proposal in Norway? They want to mandate to each person a specific allotment of airline flying time, based on how much carbon a jet emits. Basically, you would get a specific number of airline miles over a specific time interval. Once you use yours up, you are literally grounded. Or, you have to buy more allotment from others.

A whole new category on Craigslist! For Sale: personal airline quotas. :wow:

I could see some form of this becoming part of the "progressives" Green New Deal.

[Edited on 8-20-2021 by Hook]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 01:20 PM

I’ll consider it as soon as those pushing it actually do it! You know that’s not going to happen!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Did anyone hear about the Green Party proposal in Norway? They want to mandate to each person a specific allotment of airline flying time, based on how much carbon a jet emits. Basically, you would get a specific number of airline miles over a specific time interval. Once you use yours up, you are literally grounded. Or, you have to buy more allotment from others.

A whole new category on Craigslist! For Sale: personal airline quotas. :wow:

I could see some form of this becoming part of the "progressives" Green New Deal.

It's actually an example of a "free market" solution. Nothing "progressive" about supply and demand, just simple economics.

The proposed "carbon tax" works the same way, with credits exchanged in a market environment.

John
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2021 at 02:12 PM

It looks to me like the utilities contributions are being dealt with quite quickly and effectively. Now how do we get people to drive to the grocery store in smaller more fuel efficient vehicles instead of the jacked up 400 hp 4by4's? Tiny parking stalls didn't help as they just use up 4 of em.

Lol.

I do take up two with my truck. Zfg.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2021 at 02:45 PM

Looks to me like there's plenty of room for the SOC to expand before any sea level rise at DK's palm tree becomes noticeable. Check out how far the river has receded. Lots of room for expansion.

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.7322918,-114.8912632,71753m/...

Seems like massive depletion of river inflow at one end of the SOC has just been able to mask the effects of warming in this localized sea, but this is possibly just an unintended consequence of damming and exploiting the Colorado. None of this contradicts existing science.

This might explain DK's tree to some extent. Occam's Razor and all that kind of logic, you know.

If anyone is left with an open mind, please chime in. Otherwise, you know what to do with yourself.

John

[Edited on 8-21-2021 by John Harper]
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  111

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.