Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  111
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 10-16-2021 at 11:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
When I replaced the single pane, aluminum sash windows in my dad's house
ten years ago, the recycling center at the local transfer station would not accept the glass panes.

They would take the aluminum frames, as long as all non-aluminum rivets and screws were removed, but they told me to toss the clean glass into the trash!

Window glass melts at a much higher temperature so it is not energy effective to reprocess it. When you put it in with container glass recycling it contaminates and causes the container glass to be worthless.

The same thing is essentially true for aluminum with contaminants, but that depends on metal prices. 10 years ago they were in a slump so the recycling places were very picky about what they took. if the metal is cleaned especially extruded window frames, it gets top money at recycle places.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 02:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jaybo  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
When I replaced the single pane, aluminum sash windows in my dad's house
ten years ago, the recycling center at the local transfer station would not accept the glass panes.

They would take the aluminum frames, as long as all non-aluminum rivets and screws were removed, but they told me to toss the clean glass into the trash!

Window glass melts at a much higher temperature so it is not energy effective to reprocess it. When you put it in with container glass recycling it contaminates and causes the container glass to be worthless.

The same thing is essentially true for aluminum with contaminants, but that depends on metal prices. 10 years ago they were in a slump so the recycling places were very picky about what they took. if the metal is cleaned especially extruded window frames, it gets top money at recycle places.

What about the doing the right thing regardless of cost?

What is the alternative cost of living with garbage?
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 11:45 AM

Thank you neighbor John Harper, as always, for the voice of reason in a dastardly and purposely? designed controversial atmosphere. Divide and conquer is not an abstract.

We share a particular perspective on this and another website on a daily basis.

Please do carry on good neighbor. Your opinion needs to be heard and repeated until those who chose to sell out our democracy are held accountable. And for what and for whom? Il Duce shows every time. Who can buy into that?

Rant over. Peace out.

Jaybo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2021 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

The cost of energy and the CO2 it produces is greater than the cost of manufacturing new glass. We will always have *some* waste. Not everything is going to be able to be reused. My previous job of 34 years was in the waste industry so I'm a little knowledgeable about it.

Yes we need to do all we can to recycle as much as possible, but the general public often ruins it at the collection point by throwing contaminated material into the recycling stream. The plants that recycle container glass for example have really tight margins with the price of energy needed to recycle it. If the drop box of glass delivered to them is contaminated, they refuse to take the load, because they simply cannot afford to separate out the contaminates and pay to dispose of them. Do you expect them to just take it anyway losing money and forcing them into bankruptcy?

There is always going to be trash, and as time and and innovation continue it will get better and there will be less of it.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

The cost of energy and the CO2 it produces is greater than the cost of manufacturing new glass. We will always have *some* waste. Not everything is going to be able to be reused. My previous job of 34 years was in the waste industry so I'm a little knowledgeable about it.

Yes we need to do all we can to recycle as much as possible, but the general public often ruins it at the collection point by throwing contaminated material into the recycling stream. The plants that recycle container glass for example have really tight margins with the price of energy needed to recycle it. If the drop box of glass delivered to them is contaminated, they refuse to take the load, because they simply cannot afford to separate out the contaminates and pay to dispose of them. Do you expect them to just take it anyway losing money and forcing them into bankruptcy?

There is always going to be trash, and as time and and innovation continue it will get better and there will be less of it.

You're right. In retrospect my comment was kind of dumb.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 08:07 AM

…the general public often ruins it at the collection point by throwing contaminated material into the recycling stream.

The mfgs don’t label their plastic and glass very well, so public has little idea what is recyclable, and so public throws everything in the blue bin….

I try to recycle responsibly, but I also would like product labeling to make my sorting easier.
Need govt to mandate labels!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Jaybo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2021 at 05:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

…the general public often ruins it at the collection point by throwing contaminated material into the recycling stream.

The mfgs don’t label their plastic and glass very well, so public has little idea what is recyclable, and so public throws everything in the blue bin….

I try to recycle responsibly, but I also would like product labeling to make my sorting easier.
Need govt to mandate labels!

The manufacturers are not the ones collecting the material. Your collector will have information on what *they* collect as recyclable materials. Read their instructions or ask them as to what is allowed.

Once China stopped taking all of our "recycling" that was heavily contaminated by improper materials being put into bins both at the waste generator and collector levels, they have become a lot more strict as far as what they will take. I understand your frustration, but the information as to what is recyclable comes from the company or municipality that is collecting it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2021 at 06:23 PM

Mankind may be doomed for fall of civilization, and extinction?

https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/these-scientists-did-more-...

https://futurism.com/the-byte/humanity-doomed-scientists

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/financial-stability-oversight...

56 Percent of Young People Think Humanity Is Doomed
https://www.vice.com/en/article/88npnp/fifty-six-percent-of-...

If we don’t cause our own extinction, then an asteroid certainly will. On average Every 100M years we get Mega-extinction level asteroids here (last one was 66M years ago)

“ An impact from an asteroid that's more than about a half-mile wide would be a global catastrophe. Even on the small end, an asteroid of that size would destroy everything within hundreds of miles of ground zero, triggering massive earthquakes and fires. The dust and smoke sent into the atmosphere would darken the skies for months, plunging the Earth into a mini ice age, causing worldwide crop failures. An asteroid similar in size to the one that doomed the dinosaurs would probably trigger mass extinctions, blot out the sun entirely for months, and kill billions of humans. Still, some scientists think that those who didn't perish in the initial blast or die in the subsequent global famine might stand a chance at long-term survival. University of Colorado geoscientist Brian Toon estimates that it would take an asteroid 60 miles wide to fully obliterate the human race. "That," he says, "would incinerate everybody." ‘

[Edited on 10-22-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2021 at 08:42 PM

Don’t chose extinction!
https://youtu.be/VaTgTiUhEJg

Woke!

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2021 at 01:10 PM
More rising sea level stuff to fight over

https://omny.fm/shows/hidden-brain/we-broke-the-planet-now-w...

Hidden Brain is an interesting weekly 1 hour program on NPR (the "P" in NPR does NOT stand for Progressive, by the way) that looks at psychological and sociological issues. Last week's program diverged a bit and looked at those that are not fighting climate change, but actually dealing with the affects in their own countries and cities and focusing on adapting to them.
Netherlands have been doing this for years but have changed their methods and the Seychelles are literally dredging sand and adding it to the islands and atolls they deem worth saving.
For those of you who believe this stuff it is sobering indeed; for those of you who do not, you should get sober.

[Edited on 11-4-2021 by Santiago]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2021 at 01:55 PM

My workplace just presented at the recent international climate conference in Glasgow. Here is the press release.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2021 at 02:18 PM

enter Special K.....:(
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2021 at 09:51 AM

I think people are getting erosion and sea level mixed up.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
11-5-2021 at 10:28 AM
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 12:04 PM

If anyone watches the crab fishing show each year, Deadliest Catch, they know the ice pack is as heavy as ever. The sea level still remains between high and low tide, same over the past 100 years. ;)
Baja Nomad is nearing its 20th birthday, and some here, over those years, aren't able to accept the physical science we can see but will fall for anything politicians say! :biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 12:54 PM

Hey TMW - so so is it Al Gore? or the scientific studies that he was quoting?
and what happened to Geraldos posts with the "statements" overlaid on the nice photos from Politifake? where did it go?

and david, so thats the sum total of your "research"? you watch cerab fisherman on TV and look at a couple of photos of a tree? when are you ever going to actually look at real science - you know - the stuff you claim to believe in, until you get called out, and go running to the mod to delete your idiotic posts and those who point them out as bogus drivel wrapped in willfull ignorance?
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
If anyone watches the crab fishing show each year, Deadliest Catch, they know the ice pack is as heavy as ever. The sea level still remains between high and low tide, same over the past 100 years. ;)
Baja Nomad is nearing its 20th birthday, and some here, over those years, aren't able to accept the physical science we can see but will fall for anything politicians say! :biggrin:

David, The koolaid drinkers will always drink the koolaid and trust the so called scientist or politician of the day instead of their own eyes.It’s the WOKE mentality.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 02:09 PM

Again, even if you accept that the climate is changing, can man do anything about it? Can a big, bloated govt. do something about it.

All this spending for the climate is just a big power grab.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 03:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Again, even if you accept that the climate is changing, can man do anything about it?

perhaps man can.
we will never know if we dont study it, and try.

if we can accomplish things like flying to flocking edge of the solar system, i think we can understand and solve solve greenhouse gas pollution

Woke!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 04:13 PM

The climate is changing, always has and always will... takes about 10,000 years to change from one climate to another. It was an Ice Age when our Siberian amigos walked into Alaska. Animals and people adapt to these slow changes... they didn't pay some government a 'carbon tax' to hide their self-imposed guilt, to try to alter a natural event.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 04:15 PM

Well, the ozone "hole" was apparently created by man, and, once the culprit was identified, changes were made. Chemistry explained the reaction of CFC's with ozone, and back then people trusted science.

CFC's were banned (probably not 100% successfully, but better than vaccination rates) and we thereby developed less harmful refrigerants. Sound familiar?

I have not heard any warnings about the ozone "hole" for years. Now for you contrarians of everything, I ask you, was that just a hoax to get government control? Control of what, exactly? Does your air conditioning still work?

John
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  111

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.