Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  111
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2022 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
It'll be interesting to see what the electric trucks' quality turns out to be. My bets on on Ford or Rivian for decent quality for rough use. The battery replacement issues will be the big question. Already hearing reports they are not available on some models when they go after 10 years. Built in obsolescence.

EV tech isn't there yet for trucks. They lose more than half of their range when towing.

[Edited on 7-21-2022 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-20-2022 at 08:04 PM

My F150 when towing get less that half the MPG and when driving solo.

Plugin Hybrid (PHEV) wins for towing. No long delay to get a recharge.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2022 at 09:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
It'll be interesting to see what the electric trucks' quality turns out to be. My bets on on Ford or Rivian for decent quality for rough use. The battery replacement issues will be the big question. Already hearing reports they are not available on some models when they go after 10 years. Built in obsolescence.

EV tech isn't there yet for trucks. They lose half of their range when towing.

Really is a moot point where they are now as if you ordered one today, you'd be waiting 2-3 years before yours got made, so you would be receiving whatever battery tech exists 2 years ahead. They cannot ramp up to meet the flood of orders that came in on either Ford or Rivian, despite the pricing increases lately. Wait lists just to get a test drive are months ahead.
I had an order in on a Rivian SUV 1 1/2 years back, finally cancelled it and expanded the building instead. My deposit was back in my account within 3 days. Ford F-150 Pro model is about 60% of the pricing on the Rivian SUV.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/models/f150-...

[Edited on 7-21-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2022 at 10:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

That is crazy.

Yet at least 3-4 cabinet members have told Americans in the last 6 months to buy EV's so they don't have to worry about the price of gas.

Like they have $67K (avg EV price) laying around and now you are telling me even if they did, there wouldn't be one to buy??

The US is a Bizarro World right now.

yes, exactly, I have spoken to several people who attempted to order EV's recently and were told they would have to wait 1 to 2 years, so they bought new gas trucks instead. They need to put their cash to work now, not hold it in reserve for a sometime in the future liability. After hanging onto my order for a year, I finally decided there was no point waiting for some future promise of filled order, needed a tuffer truck for my use now. Maybe later....

[Edited on 7-23-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2022 at 06:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Toyota. Quite the exception

My daughter put nearly 300,000 miles on her Toyota Corolla. When it came time to replace it, she bought another Toyota Corolla. :)

I have a 2008 Toyota RAV4 that hasn't given me a single problem. If it weren't for the fact that I'm unable to garage it I could probably hold onto it for another decade.

[Edited on 7-23-2022 by pauldavidmena]

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2022 at 08:00 AM

It's going to take a few years for the EV truck froth to settle, and for the recently announced investment surge in fast charging stations to bear fruit. I'm planning my 2016 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel for 5 more years. It also gets a 50% range reduction when towing my camper trailer from 25 highway to 12. But there's a big difference between being able to go from 600 to 300 miles before adding fuel vs 200 to 100 before an extended time to recharge.

Last year RAM teased an onboard gas generator range extender. A small gas engine that doesn't directly power the drive train but instead charges the battery. Yes, still using gas but it seems a whole lot less of it to go the same distance. This seems like it could be a super efficient way to use gas and make the truck Baja-capable before there's a solid charging infrastructure there.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-21-2022 at 09:02 AM

Electric car fuel.jpg - 46kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-21-2022 at 09:29 AM

Geezo! Here we go again!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2022 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Geezo! Here we go again!

all the usual suspects:no:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2022 at 09:56 PM

Perhaps you mistook the promotion of solar, windpower, and hydro installations while shutting down coal fired plants and replacing them with the above or much cleaner natural gas cogen plants with carbon capture sequestration as political issues? I'm sure my posts promoting both Rivian and Ford EV trucks aren't political. The commitment to increase renewables as power sources by 2030 in California and provide that with remotely sourced hydro?

obviously you don't grasp the concept of the "baja forum"...take your platform elsewhere

take the two other knuckleheads with you

[Edited on 7-22-2022 by willardguy]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2022 at 06:40 PM

I see nothing changes here. Movin on.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-22-2022 at 07:45 PM

BAJA BLOW HARDS AT IT AGAIN :?:
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 10:46 AM

And ... it was nice to see all but one of the windmills just North of La Paz running steadily last time I was down in May. Solar farm seems to be up and running again as well.

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 12:01 PM

And ... it was nice to see all but one of the windmills just North of La Paz running steadily last time I was down in May. Solar farm seems to be up and running again as well.

30% of USA energy produced last month was renewables - solar, wind etc.

renewable electricity is now much cheaper that fossil fuel electricity - even though the deniers ignore that fact!

over 50% of potential car buyers are planning to buy electric for their next car. (hey JZ - compare apples to apples - New EVs are not appreciably more expensive than comparable gasoline vehicles. and the EVs have much higher profit margins for the manufacturers - go figure. Things have changed in the world - making many deniers "objections" look pretty silly, unfactual, and ignorant!

BTW - for comparison - I put 17K miles on my Toyota corolla hybrid (53mpg)over the last 6 months - had I done that in my pickup that gets 22 mpg it would have cost me about more than double - in this case an extra 1600 bucks - the corolla is paying me to drive it,

my solar on my home - I havent paid electric bills for a year - that saves me 3K a year -
this going green is so hard and so expensive - uh rigghhttt - it pays off big in my pocket book , and is better for the earth!

The world is changing for the better - even if we have to drag the deniers who grasp onto their ignorance and lack of fact into the 22nd century.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

renewable electricity is now much cheaper that fossil fuel electricity - even though the deniers ignore that fact!

over 50% of potential car buyers are planning to buy electric for their next car. (hey JZ - compare apples to apples - New EVs are not appreciably more expensive than comparable gasoline vehicles. and the EVs have much higher profit margins for the manufacturers - go figure. Things have changed in the world - making many deniers "objections" look pretty silly, unfactual, and ignorant!

BTW - for comparison - I put 17K miles on my Toyota corolla hybrid (53mpg)over the last 6 months - had I done that in my pickup that gets 22 mpg it would have cost me about more than double - in this case an extra 1600 bucks - the corolla is paying me to drive it,

my solar on my home - I havent paid electric bills for a year - that saves me 3K a year -
this going green is so hard and so expensive - uh rigghhttt - it pays off big in my pocket book , and is better for the earth!

The world is changing for the better - even if we have to drag the deniers who grasp onto their ignorance and lack of fact into the 22nd century.

Agreed almost 100%...did you think somehow my post that you referenced was dissing renewables? My primary reason for building in La Paz area in the first place was to take advantage of the exceptional solar, overbuilding the solar installed to provide additional free power for EV's

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 12:40 PM

A huge increase over last year?

Your number sounded high to me so I spent a minute to find out.

--------------------------

The United States Energy Information Administration:

"In 2021, renewable energy sources accounted for about 12.2% of total U.S. energy consumption and about 20.1% of electricity generation."

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=92&t=4#:~:text...

------------------------------------------------

[Edited on 7-23-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

A huge increase over last year?

--------------------------

The United States Energy Information Administration:

"In 2021, renewable energy sources accounted for about 12.2% of total U.S. energy consumption and about 20.1% of electricity generation."

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=92&t=4#:~:text...

[Edited on 7-23-2022 by SFandH]

A long way to go yet;.This from Europe:
https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/05/eu-to-end-undercounting...
At this point if you want to jump in and the car fits your needs, Tesla model 3 appears worth buying from a financial point of view over 5 years of ownership. May be why they still have a huge share of total EV sales.
https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/14/my-tesla-model-3-tco-es...

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 02:30 PM

I am guessing that the 30% figure must include hydro-electric.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 03:15 PM

Agreed almost 100%...did you think somehow my post that you referenced was dissing renewables? My primary reason for building in La Paz area in the first place was to take advantage of the exceptional solar, overbuilding the solar installed to provide additional free power for EV's

No JD - I was backing you up! sorry for the confusion. just pointing out so many "reasons" for not going "green" turn out to be fallacy and BS. Facts is facts -
Whether you still drive your Conestoga wagon and burn whale oil lanterns or not -
the fact is technologies and science just keep advancing - and science doesn't give a damn about peoples Biases and misconceptions!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2022 at 03:24 PM

Those who continually come up with "reasons" to avoid going green simply want to continue to carry on the lifestyle they enjoy without having to feeling guilty. If you deny man-made climate change, claiming that the climate has always been changing, you can continue to contribute to climate change and the disasters it causes, with a clear conscience.They're the kind of people who have bumper stickers saying, "The one who dies with the most toys wins".
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  111

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.