Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  16    18    20  ..  112
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-16-2022 at 06:44 PM

I’ll even start!

Water, energy and reducing fossil fuel use are three important national issues. The purpose of the national government is to address that class of issues.

The Mississippi drainage system has excessive water and floods most years. There have been studies done indicating the water could be sent west where it’s needed. It would require a lot of energy to pump the water over the Rockies to do that. Consider that currently the most efficient way to store electrical energy is to pump it up hill store it and let it run down hill to generate electricity. Renewable energy could pump the water up hill and the water running down the other side would generate nighttime base load returning much of the energy and delivering needed water.

This would be a very large but straightforward engineering project it requires no new technology and would benefit the entire county.

It will never happen! The very people who claim to want to “save the environment” are against any large project like this. Then as stated before there are the they’ll get our water over my dead body folks mentioned above.

Rather than invest political capital in solving important issues that would benefit the country like this the folks in D.C. invest in legislating which restroom and pronouns people must use!

The engineering to solve problems exists the political will is what’s missing.
caj13
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2022 at 07:11 AM

RF, can you direct me to those studies? I'm not familiar with them, but am interested. i suspect the cost would be enormous.

I also am a bit skeptical - because its not one pipeline "to the west" it needs to be a complete distribution system across 10-12 states.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2022 at 07:37 AM

caj13,

It was an article on the subject. I’ll find it and post it. Part of the plan was to use the Colorado river as the distribution system. Yes, very expensive, real infrastructure usually is.

Here’s just one reason that these problems will never be solved.

https://act.americanrivers.org/page/42629/petition/1?ea.trac...

Here’s a link to the Desert Sun in AZ they have several recent articles on the subject.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/opinion/readers/2022/06/26/d...

Parsons Engineering Pasadena CA put forth a massive plan decades ago you can google as well.

[Edited on 8-17-2022 by RFClark]

[Edited on 8-17-2022 by RFClark]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2022 at 07:52 AM

Ppl who want clean energy should push nuclear.

Solar farms and wind farms are very bad for the environment. Plus the energy isn't reliable.

[Edited on 8-17-2022 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2022 at 07:53 AM

Good morning RF. The whole pronoun thing is way overblown by right leaning media. It's really not anything to worry about. Just a distraction to keep you viewing whatever it is you are viewing so that media source can pay it's CEO and workers.

I hang around a ton of super lib tards all day every day and it's not usually a topic of conversation. I can tell you are very smart and level headed so I just wanted to pass this along. Hope to see you in Baja someday so we can share a moment of being alive.

My best friend has a trans kid. It's been very difficult to navigate for all involved. They are learning a lot about people and themselves and I wish them the best.

Have a good day......headed to Tecate for some lunch.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-17-2022 at 08:02 AM
It's time to take action!

For far too many years, N.O.A.A has gotten away with merely reporting the location of high and low pressure systems, and the movement and temperatures of the ocean currents.

Congress needs to pass a "Weather Stabilization Act"! In exchange for throwing billions of dollars at the agency, they will be charged with enforcement powers over the weather.

Using historic average figures as a base, they would be required to guide those weather modifiers as needed to achieve "Goldilocks" conditions across the nation. Not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry will be the standard!

It is probably too late to help any politicians in the upcoming mid-term elections, but maybe someone will roll out some sort of magic wand plan by the 2024 match up.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2022 at 08:29 AM

Ateo,

I worked over 40 years in the entertainment industry. I could tell you stories but it would be worth my life. So yes some people do take those things seriously!

AK,

I know you’re kidding, but the federally mandated impact study to study the impact of changing the weather to remain the same would kill more trees than the Tunguska event and be finished about the middle of the next ice age!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2022 at 05:32 PM

AK,

Speaking of weather, the Atlantic Hurricane season his been MIA so far this year. The weather N-zis have taken to rerunning storms of summers past and writing “just wait till your father gets home” stories about September and October! They could be correct or not time will tell.

On the Left Coast the drought has been interrupted by an unprecedented monsoon season featuring lots of rain and mud flows. In places that usually have neither. BCS south of La Paz has had a number of days in a row with rain and thunder storms mostly in the mountains. The locals say it’s very uncommon. It seems that there will be at least a few more days of similar weather. This may also be a part of the strong monsoon season.

But you’re right Congress should do something about it!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-17-2022 at 06:05 PM

Those Monsoon clouds are over me as I write this. It was nice having some cloud cover today, it kept the temperature at 90 vs the 98 we saw yesterday.

Did you follow any news about the Mckinney fire (the largest in CA this season)? The town of Yreka had a raging fire to the west, and flash flood warnings on the same day!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2022 at 06:10 PM

AK,

No, I missed that! Fires and floods the same day! The end times are surly nigh. What’s next frogs and tax collectors? (Are they the same thing?)
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2022 at 07:38 PM
Post Sunset Todos Santos Tonight

E17E75A0-084E-458D-A29A-CA40132E7D7B.jpeg - 199kB
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-24-2022 at 05:36 PM

California air agency to ban sales of gasoline-powered cars by 2035
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/24/california-air-agen...

The Advanced Clean Cars II proposal from the ARB, which was first presented in June of this year, would require "all new passenger cars, trucks and SUVs sold in California" to be zero-emissions vehicles by 2035.

The Toyota Tacoma will be no more…

[Edited on 8-25-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2022 at 06:10 PM

Goat,

I’m for it since I'm electric now. But, the ARB is not elected by anyone. There is a well developed body of Federal Law on the subject and such a regulation would de facto be a regulation of interstate commerce. The state of california can't do that let alone an unelected regional board. “See you in Federal Court” comes to mind here! Congress could do something but probably not!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2022 at 06:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Goat,

I’m for it since I'm electric now. But, the ARB is not elected by anyone. There is a well developed body of Federal Law on the subject and such a regulation would de facto be a regulation of interstate commerce. The state of california can't do that let alone an unelected regional board. “See you in Federal Court” comes to mind here! Congress could do something but probably not!

Cali does what cali wants! And the usa follows, because Cali is the biggest and most important economy in the USA! California Uber alles! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

P.s. carb is just writing regs now.. Authority for change came from legislative action a while ago…

[Edited on 8-25-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2022 at 07:33 PM

Goat,

We’ll see. Just another straw. We’ll see how many the Camel holds! I buy gas when I leave Mexico now$$$.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2022 at 07:39 PM

I just got a quote on expanding my LiFPO4 batteries by 66%. Costs are up another 25-30% from a year ago when they jumped 12% in one month. Battery manufacturers are cleaning up on the legislated demand cycle. Cheapest Ford F150 lightnings are unavailable as back orders extended to over 2 years despite the production ramp ups announced recently.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2022 at 08:17 PM

No, what this will do is move the generating stations that replace the refineries that live off of special california only gas to the surrounding states and countries. As to decreasing the CO2, Methane and other things in the atmosphere not so much.

Electric transportation charges at night! That’s called more base load. Nukes, natural gas, coal and batteries made from stuff mined with diesel powered equipment to make the batteries in coal powered factories!

Remember the law of unintended consequences and 3 or so billion people who burn stuff to rase and cook their food!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2022 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
No, what this will do is move the generating stations that replace the refineries that live off of special california only gas to the surrounding states and countries. As to decreasing the CO2, Methane and other things in the atmosphere not so much.

Electric transportation charges at night! That’s called more base load. Nukes, natural gas, coal and batteries made from stuff mined with diesel powered equipment to make the batteries in coal powered factories!

Remember the law of unintended consequences and 3 or so billion people who burn stuff to rase and cook their food!

Wind and solar, Clarkie!
After sun goes down, wind still blows, and AC gets turned off resulting in lower elec demand.
Elec vehicles are more energy efficient than ICE vehicles, even factoring in transmission loss.

Ultimately, reducing greenhouse gas output per capita is good.

P.s. all you grumpy elderly nattering Nabobs of negativity will be close to dead by 2040, and you certainly won’t have enough synapses and reflexes left to drive in 2040+… so you should not care what happens except what your progeny wants/needs, and your progeny wants the world to get on a 12 step program and kick it’s petroleum addiction!

Woke!

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2022 at 09:02 PM

Goat,

I’m the one with the electric car! What’s in your garage?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2022 at 08:44 AM

In addition to considering the reduction in atmospheric CO2 that electric vehicles bring, you also need to consider the significant reduction in the negative health effects (lung disease) of gas and diesel engine emissions, especially in urban areas. The air in the LA basin will be a lot cleaner when electric vehicles dominate.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
 Pages:  1  ..  16    18    20  ..  112

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.