Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  22    24    26  ..  112
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-1-2022 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Thousands of Xcel customers locked out of thermostats during 'energy emergency' as temperatures soared.
22,000 people lost control of temperatures in their homes for hours Tuesday

DENVER — During the dog days of summer, it's important to keep your home cool. But when thousands of Xcel customers in Colorado tried adjusting their thermostats Tuesday, they learned they had no control over the temperatures in their own homes.

Temperatures climbed into the 90s Tuesday, which is why Tony Talarico tried to crank up the air conditioning in his partner's Arvada home.

"I mean, it was 90 out, and it was right during the peak period," Talarico said. "It was hot."

That's when he saw a message on the thermostat stating the temperature was locked due to an "energy emergency."

"Normally, when we see a message like that, we're able to override it," Talarico said. "In this case, we weren't. So, our thermostat was locked in at 78 or 79."

[Edited on 9-1-2022 by JZ]

Pee wee,
The affected customers had voluntarily signed up for the program. Customers receive financial compensation, but give up some control so system operator can make the system more reliable.
This was first time in 6 years that customers lost some control on a hot day.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2022 at 11:10 PM

RFClark: Nice to see we can finally buy at least one modern full electric vehicle in Baja. I would think a full electric Maverick 4 by 4 might be the best for us. Roads have gotten so bad, the contractors are now commonly getting us to drive to the end of pavement and bring them the last few miles as they are consistently getting bogged down with FWD

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 9-2-2022 at 10:23 AM

Lencho,

Based on 3 miles/KW that’s 6.5 cents per mile. Gas is at least 20 cents per mile and we have solar charging which is free!

Goat,

Be carful not to set anything on fire while you defend the indefensible by candle light. 25% of California’s electricity comes from those other states and countries.

That would be a big short fall when you really need it. I’ve got off grid solar so suck it up cause your solar probably won’t work without a grid tie.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 07:13 AM

How is ag doing in Baja?

In usa, the current drought/climate change has hammered ag:

The summer drought's hefty toll on American crops
https://www.yahoo.com/news/summer-droughts-hefty-toll-americ...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 04:08 PM

Goat,

It’s raining here. Mangos are great. Vegetables are great. Prices are great. Temperature is in the 70’s at night. What’s not to like?
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 07:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
The Rivan R1S is the one I'd get first. It's pretty bad ass. 600 to 835hp. Wife's SUV is getting pretty long in the tooth.

[Edited on 8-28-2022 by JZ]

Rivian is too expensive. It is part of the fad of over priced luxury e cars. Such cars are for posers with more money than sense.
You can buy 2 hybrid highlanders for price of 1 rivian suv.

I got my eye on the e bus by vw. Can buy 2 busses for price of 1 rivian suv.

On that note,
None of these transportation options are for the poor.
Nice when your part of the Over developed world…..
Has anyone seen the plans for poor remote locations to make it without petroleum?
Lionel :cool:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 07:45 PM

Welp, California has their work cut out for them if they want to meet the EV quotas. Read that 21 new nuclear plants will have to come online.

[Edited on 9-7-2022 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  
The Rivan R1S is the one I'd get first. It's pretty bad ass. 600 to 835hp. Wife's SUV is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Rivian is too expensive. It is part of the fad of over priced luxury e cars. Such cars are for posers with more money than sense.

On that note,
Has anyone seen the plans for poor remote locations to make it without petroleum?

Let them eat cake??:no:

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 07:52 PM

On that note,

In the course of history technological advances have rolled out to the poor and rural areas.
How did the poor and rural ever get automobiles? Electricity? Refrigeration? Telephones? Facebook?
Don’t worry, be happy, patience grasshopper.

Woke!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 07:59 PM

Welp, California has their work cut out for them if they want to meet the EV quotas. Read that 21 bew nuclear plants will have to come online.

Pee wee zee:
Shortages are momentary problems. shortage of toilet paper during early days of covid never stopped you from chitting, did it?
You will find a way to deal with it!

Woke!

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 08:18 PM

I can't take you seriously after that comment.

Maybe the worst analogy I've heard in my lifetime.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 08:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

On that note,

Let them eat cake??:no:

Exactly. The State of Arizona is about to destroy a square mile or section of trees next to my section to feed a “ renewable energy “ biomass plant in Snowflake Az. The State has a right to do with its property what’s within the law but some of the things done in the name of renewable energy can be deceiving.
The heavy equipment used will no doubt be diesels and the resulting damage to that oxygen producing ecosystem will be long lasting. It all started here as a way to thin the forest to reduce intensity of wildfires but now in some remote areas they’re clear cutting. Biomass is profitable for the operators.
I’m all for new or cleaner energy but the world will be using petroleum products until that transition comes to fruition.
One way out is using less and procreating less but we keep trying to come up with alternatives so we can continue down our path without change to our consumer lifestyles.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 09:14 PM

Check out Planet of the Humans on YouTube
##### WARNING ##### in the end of the film Orangutan are hurt while clear cutting the forest.
It covers the Biomass and other “ renewable energy “ in the United States and the profiteers and environmental groups in on it.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2022 at 10:03 PM

Goat,

The rural US was electrified as a result of the REA 1936 which allowed rural households to buy electric rather than gas refrigerators. This contributed to the downfall of Servel the major producer of non-electric refrigerators in the US.
caj13
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2022 at 04:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Goat,

The rural US was electrified as a result of the REA 1936 which allowed rural households to buy electric rather than gas refrigerators. This contributed to the downfall of Servel the major producer of non-electric refrigerators in the US.

but it didn't lead to more production and new companies producing electric appliances? I guess your right, the economy nosedived when this happened - and never recovered.

same thing happened with all the wagon producers got squeezed out by the new fangled automobile becoming popular. a whole bunch of wagon maker craftsmen lost their jobs - never ever to recover - and the US economy when Tango Uniform - and we've been in recession since then - a sad cautionary tale for sure!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2022 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Goat,

but it didn't lead to more production and new companies producing electric appliances? I guess your right, the economy nosedived when this happened - and never recovered.

same thing happened with all the wagon producers got squeezed out by the new fangled automobile becoming popular. a whole bunch of wagon maker craftsmen lost their jobs - never ever to recover - and the US economy when Tango Uniform - and we've been in recession since then - a sad cautionary tale for sure!

Those shifts didn't leave us dependent on China and other foreign nations for raw materials. Or push an electric grid that was already on the brink of collapse.

Not sure if you saw what Russia just did to Germany this week. And Germany was clearly warned to not put their energy security at risk. But they didn't listen.

No one is against EVs. It just needs to be done the appropriate way.

[Edited on 9-7-2022 by JZ]

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2022 at 11:50 AM

JZ,

Servel gas/propane refrigerators were made in Indiana (over 3 million). Currently the only home refrigerators, that I know of, made in the US are Amish made gas refrigerators. All of the others, electric and gas are made elsewhere.

Adsorption refrigerators are great in cool climates as they keep food cold and warm the house. The CO problem when using propane is overrated! That said they stop working at 90 degrees ambiant!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2022 at 12:22 PM

Propane refrigerators made in the US:

https://www.ezfreezerefrigerator.com/propane-refrigerators/

I have 3 propane fridges. A tall one in the trailer, and two 1/2 sized ones recovered from RVs. We keep one of the small ones on the patio full of brewskis, the other is backup, just in case.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2022 at 12:42 PM

Yes, I believe those are the ones built by the Amish. They don’t like electricity but D cells are ok. We had one 20 years ago they were great. 40+ plus years ago we had a couple of Servels on the ranch. (Before all night electricity!) they were cheap and easy to convert to propane.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2022 at 08:08 AM

I had a kerosene fridge in Central America. Used about a liter@day.
It would often freeze the contents if not monitored.
 Pages:  1  ..  22    24    26  ..  112

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.