Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  30    32    34  ..  111
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-21-2022 at 09:40 AM

I spent all last week burning piles of dead, downed and thinned forest materials that I have been accumulating on my property since the last burn season was closed. I still have a lot of dead standing timber to take down, so I will be burning a whole lot more to try and reduce the chance of a catastrophic fire starting on my property.

There is so much bug killed, and fire killed timber on the west coast that I cannot give mine away! If anyone wants some pine, fir, and even a couple of cedar logs, come to Nevada County and I will load you up. I can tell you in advance that your truck is not big enough!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2022 at 10:01 AM

AKgringo: I notice you put a lot of thought into your personal responsibility to control your local environment...congrats and thanks from all of us. If only we could get our political influencers to do the same.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 11-21-2022 at 10:26 AM

L,

Burning the wood as pellets releases the same CO2 as burning it in a wildfire. The best use for dead trees is as use in building products which removes the carbon from circulation for decades or longer.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-21-2022 at 11:03 AM

One thought I had was to have my neighbor mill them into rough cut, treated landscape timbers the size of railroad ties. Not in California! The wood preservatives necessary are banned in California, so I would have to ship them out of state to get them treated.

I don't think there are any plywood or particle board mills left in this state, everything headed to pulp mills is going off-shore, or out of state now.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-21-2022 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
One thought I had was to have my neighbor mill them into rough cut, treated landscape timbers the size of railroad ties. Not in California! The wood preservatives necessary are banned in California, so I would have to ship them out of state to get them treated.

I don't think there are any plywood or particle board mills left in this state, everything headed to pulp mills is going off-shore, or out of state now.

It would be nice if one of you amateur loggers would cut down DK’s clump of palm trees. You could use the trunks to build a palapa, and put an end to this thread!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2022 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
L,

Burning the wood as pellets releases the same CO2 as burning it in a wildfire. The best use for dead trees is as use in building products which removes the carbon from circulation for decades or longer.

I always thought it was odd to push for logging for pellet burning as environmentally friendly bio-energy while growing a tree, absorbing CO2 in the process, logging and encasing it in a building was deemed negative. New studies have proved that "environmentally beneficial" bio-energy source taxpayers funded actually creates more CO2 than burning it as waste at the source would. It also produces more CO2 than the coal fired plant it replaced. Have to wonder who got rich over that scheme.

[Edited on 11-21-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2022 at 12:50 PM

The worst idea yet pushed out to "protect the environment" by the politicians has got to be the Ethanol push. How to reduce your vehicles efficiency, boost the cost of a common feed source and create far more overall pollution in the process.
I think we need more engineers and chemists involved in the environmental decisions and far fewer politicians.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2022 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I don't think the true owner, Rancho El Coyote, would be happy with that idea, goat.

Remember, I never said it isn't happening or that climate doesn't change... It has always changed.

You keep saying this as if you think it gives your views some sort of credibility, when in fact any reasonably intelligent 8 year old knows climate has changed throughout the history of the planet.

You do not believe in man-made climate change, nor that we should do something about that, nor in listening to scientific evidence, which are the salient points that make your views quite far from "exposing the truth".
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-22-2022 at 08:28 AM

Food for thought (Dk, shorty: caution! This comes from a magazine with liberal editors)…

Annals of a Warming Planet
CLIMATE CHANGE FROM A TO Z
The stories we tell ourselves about the future.
by Elizabeth Kolbert
November 21, 2022

Illustrations by Wesley Allsbrook
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/11/28/climate-change...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2022 at 09:06 AM

Goat,

Here’s one also from a non-technical source. It has the advantage of being animated! (The presenter is cute too!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRLXp3R7uZY
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2022 at 10:09 AM

Are you guys just angry because I expose the truth...

No. It's because you write garbage.
lencho
Junior Nomad

Mood: Somnoliento

[*] posted on 11-22-2022 at 11:54 AM

Examples, please! Or is only liberal, pro-big-government posts okay?

No, none of them are OK.

It gets really tiring reading all the political diatribe, and if you want respect as the big guru here (it's obvious, no matter how innocent you try to paint yourself) , you'd actually earn some by NOT responding to others when you should know better.

A real leader knows how to take the high road.

dilbert2.jpg - 93kB

"I can normally tell how intelligent a man is, by how stupid he thinks I am."

"...they were careful of their demeanor that they not be thought to have opinions on what they heard for like most men skilled at their work they were scornful of any least suggestion of knowing anything not learned at first hand."
            Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Be kind, be patient, help others." -- Isabel Allende

"My gas stove identifies as electric." Anonymous

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2022 at 12:28 PM

L,

When we technicals ( Engineers and Folks who do real world things as opposed to researchers who are also very important.) can solve the current problems but can’t do so because the leaders won’t openly discuss the issues and simply state that this is how it will be, thus preventing a consensus among the general population, it’s very frustrating.

I will find and post a current article written by an MD/PHD at the Stanford school of medicine on the subject as it relates to his and other Stanford faculty members treatment by their peers, the NIH and the university administration because they dared to question the wisdom of the general lockdown imposed by the ruling political class.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11453099/Stanford-U...

[Edited on 11-22-2022 by RFClark]

[Edited on 11-22-2022 by RFClark]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2022 at 06:36 AM

You don't see me start any political posts ....

Yes, I do. Frequently.
rccali
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2022 at 10:52 AM

Igor, just let it go... Doug cleared away many replies in this thread and I have deleated a few, as well. I have only replied to existing politics, posted ususlly by goat. Somehow you and a few others have no problem with that political stuff, only with my (and others) replies to it. Baja Nomad should be for Baja discussion or Nomad trip reports & photos... not this!
Free speech must mean more than only left-wing disucussion allowed here.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Poor David, he's ALWAYS claiming to be the poor put upon victim here. How dare anyone have a different POV than your own.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2022 at 11:08 AM

Here's some information from NASA, that explains why sea level does not rise the same in all places. The satellite map shows Baja as an area with almost no rise, and even some spots around the globe with net decrease in sea level. Looks like the Western Pacific has shown the largest rises in sea level.

https://climate.nasa.gov/ask-nasa-climate/3002/sea-level-101...

Interesting article, well worth reading.

John

[Edited on 11-23-2022 by John Harper]
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2022 at 11:55 AM

John,

After reading several of the SL101 posts the takeaway is:

We really only have about 30 years of good data as to how much the rate of change in the rise in sea level is changing.

There are a lot of things that have a far grater influence on “local mean sea level” than more or less water in the ocean.

“The ocean’s “dynamic” topography tells oceanographers the speed and direction of ocean currents in the same way that maps of atmospheric pressure are used by meteorologists to calculate the speed and direction of winds. It reveals the height of the ocean relative to the geoid, a surface where gravity is always uniformly pointed downward. The dynamic ocean topography shown in this map was created from 10 days of data from the NASA/CNES Topex/Poseidon satellite mission, and varies by about 2 meters (6.6 feet) from its highest to lowest places. The color scale corresponds to the grades of the relief in centimeters. The vertical scale is greatly exaggerated to illustrate the three-dimensional perspective of the topography. Credit NASA/JPL-Caltech“

For comparison the current thinking is that the rate of change in long term sea level rise is around .1mm/year compared to 2000mm in short term changes. That’s one part out of 20,000 or .005% change! So measuring the change in the rate of change requires even grater accuracy than .005%!

Deviations in the earth’s surface hight vary as much as 100,000mm from place to place and day to day!

The .1mm rate of change is puled out of that level of background noise!

That the sea lever has risen 150M in 12K years is a given. That the sea level has been 10s of meters higher in the distant past is also a given.

The question is what do we do about it and how will that affect a dynamic system we don’t understand yet.

[Edited on 11-23-2022 by RFClark]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2022 at 12:44 PM

I have only replied to existing politics,

That's a lie. Just because you or Doug delete your posts where you are the first to inject your politics into a thread doesn't mean we don't see them.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2022 at 01:30 PM

S,

When the subject being discussed has a political component, how can it not be included in the discussion?

All,

Have you read NASA’s Sea Level 101 blog. Very interesting! The subject is far more complicated than the pols and the ecology lobby present it as being.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-23-2022 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

When the subject being discussed has a political component, how can it not be included in the discussion?

When the comments belong in off-topic, that post or comment should be ignored and reported. Period. No excuses.

Good hints that it is considered such and has no place here in the main forums... include direct or indirect reference to a specific political party (or perceived faction associated with such) of a country other than Mexico; direct or indirect reference to a politician (from a country other than Mexico) in a partisan way, etc. There's a good start at identifying such - especially such that's being noted in this thread of concern.

:biggrin:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
 Pages:  1  ..  30    32    34  ..  111

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.