Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  35    37    39  ..  111
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 07:02 PM

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 07:13 PM

All know is my childhood beach @ Calafia in San Clemente is gone forever, so is the State beach park. All the businesses there on PCH are soon to go under.
The 130 year old rail line from all the logistic bases inland that made San Diego be a strategic seaport is soon to be NO more too.

Ah yes, NO big deal.

Es Todo Bueno
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 07:25 PM

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 08:05 PM

Cliff and beach erosion is not sea level changing any more than are landslides in the mountains. Sand moves and cliffs fall.
Goat can look at a graph. The common sense people can look at historical photos or simply walk a pier and not get their feet wet or launch a boat at the same ramp their grandfather's used.
Can you tell a four inch sea level rise when high tide raises the sea 60 inches, twice a day?
Anyway, the 90 year old + palm is still just above the high tide, as it was in the 1930s.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 08:18 PM

Goat,

You can’t say anything about Geta’s qualifications to lead anything because of her disability, but it’s reasonable to wonder what they are? Perhaps it’s the fact that you can’t question anything she says that makes her attractive to lead a movement that wants no discussion of its ajenda.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Can you tell a four inch sea level rise when high tide raises the sea 60 inches,…

Yes! The high tide is 4 inches higher! If the engineers of yesterday built the storm drain system to drain the streets at high tide 50 years ago, today those storm drains may no longer work effectively at high tide. This is why many coastal cities have more frequent flooding today compared to 50 years ago.

Woke!

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 09:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

And, no, I do not watch football for the cheerleaders. You clearly harbor some ill will toward men based on your comments. Why is that?

I think she crossed the line in a couple areas. Mainly from disengagement with today's youth.

[Edited on 11-29-2022 by John Harper]

Again, you try to put words in my mouth. I never said or implied that you watch football for the cheerleaders. I implied that men would not be interested in watching cheerleaders if they weren't presented in a sexy manner. Which I stand by. What I originally said, that really seemed to push some male buttons here, was that football is boring and just seems to be an excuse to drink beer and ogle cheerleaders. I didn't ever say I thought that was a terrible thing, but interesting how defensive that made some men here.

I "clearly" harbor ill will toward men?:lol: Now you sound just like JZ. (Also aligned with JZ on trying psychoanalyze someone you really know nothing about) I could put you in touch with dozens of men who would set you straight on that.

And I can assure you I am not disengaged from today's youth. I raised 3 kids and my house was full of kids and teenagers for over 20 years. I have 5 grandkids between the ages of 12 and 21. My 18 year old granddaughter just spent a month with me and can't wait to come back.

BTW, it's real cute how you deleted your post that I responded to, where you equated not dressing in a sexually provocative manner with never dressing up and going about unkempt, and unwashed and wearing a potato sack.

[Edited on 11-29-2022 by surabi]

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2022 at 09:25 PM

Goat,

Think she writes her own material? The general opinion is no! I’m not arguing that she’s not a motivated and believable speaker. I’d simply like to know who’s words she’s speaking.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 01:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Goat,

Think she writes her own material? The general opinion is no! I’m not arguing that she’s not a motivated and believable speaker. I’d simply like to know who’s words she’s speaking.

'yes, I write my own speeches. But since I know that what I say is going to reach many, many people I often ask for input. I also have a few scientists that I frequently ask for help on how to express certain complicated matters. I want everything to be absolutely correct so that I don’t spread incorrect facts, or things that can be misunderstood.”'

https://www.facebook.com/gretathunbergsweden/posts/recently-...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 01:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

BTW, it's real cute how you deleted your post that I responded to

A lot of people feel this forum's unmoderated. Oy vey! :lol:

Perhaps people should be careful with their insinuations - or face losing credibility and/or respect for inappropriate comments/behavior??? :?:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if people discussed the topics - and avoided unnecessary personal ad-hominem comments about each other? :rolleyes:

Peace, love and fish tacos! :biggrin:

[Edited on 11-29-2022 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 01:46 AM

I had fresh caught Dorado for dinner myself!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 03:00 AM

Goat,

125 M - 150M in sea level rise in 12,000 - 14,000 years is about a CM/Year average. There have been very large variations from that average.

Your 1st chart shows about 250MM in 120 years or 2+MM per year. Your 2nd chart shows about 3+MM per year over a 25 year period. Both charts have a margin of error grater than the difference between them and both are well below the historic average of 10MM/year.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 07:15 AM

Goat,

125 M - 150M in sea level rise in 12,000 - 14,000 years is about a CM/Year average. There have been very large variations from that average.

Your 1st chart shows about 250MM in 120 years or 2+MM per year. Your 2nd chart shows about 3+MM per year over a 25 year period. Both charts have a margin of error grater than the difference between them and both are well below the historic average of 10MM/year.

Clarkles,
You are not entirely stupid! You see the change: rate of sea level rise has recently increased. Slope is getting steeper. This is due to increased GHG emissions and resulting global warming.

Woke!

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 09:59 AM

Goat,

They probably are a part in addition to the normal warming cycle we’ve been in for a long time. Remember a few inches is a very small fraction of hundreds of feet in sea lever rise and 25 years is even less measured against 12 -14 thousand years. That being the case, uncontrolled and controlled burning are currently the largest part of added CO2 that we can influence. When Greta and her supporters start talking about controlling that please let me know. I don’t think they’ve said a word on the subject to date.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Goat,

Clarkles,
You are not entirely stupid! You see the change: rate of sea level rise has recently increased. Slope is getting steeper. This is due to increased GHG emissions and resulting global warming.

Why did all the scientists tell us in 1979 that the biggest challenge was the poles freezing over and glaciers expanding?

[Edited on 11-30-2022 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 01:29 PM

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 05:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

The encouraging part is the growth rates in both China and India have slowed recently. Increased economic wealth leads to reduced growth according to studies. Western Europe is in population decline.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2022 at 10:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

The encouraging part is the growth rates in both China and India have slowed recently. Increased economic wealth leads to reduced growth according to studies. Western Europe is in population decline.

Waiting for the pope to endorse birth control :rolleyes::saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 1-8-2023 at 07:48 PM
Is the drought over? Don't count your chickens before they hatch!

California’s snowpack near decade high. What’s it mean for the drought?

As the new year begins, California’s Sierra is closing in on the second-largest snowpack we’ve seen at this time of year in the last two decades, with more snow expected to pummel the mountain range in the coming days.

On Saturday, the statewide average stood at a whopping 162% of normal compared to historic averages for this time of year, just eclipsing last year’s figure. But of the seven times in the last 20 years that California started the new year with an above-average snowpack, only twice — 2005 and 2011 — did it finish the snow season in April still above average.

“It’s just far too early to tell whether or not these storms will have an impact on the drought,” said Andrew Schwartz, lead scientist at the UC Berkeley Central Sierra Snow Laboratory near Donner Summit. “We were in this exact same spot last year. We were way above average, and then the faucet shut off in January through March.”

Last year, the Sierra snowpack plummeted from 160% of normal at the end of 2021 to 37% of normal by the season’s end. The last time California closed a snow season above average was in 2019 — at 161% of normal — after ending the previous year at just 73% of normal.

Woke!

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-9-2023 at 10:10 AM

It will never cease to boggle my mind how seemingly reasonable people can willingly ignore scientific fact. Overall, the sea level is rising. There is no denying that, unless of course you are gleaning your information from conspiracy theory/misinformation websites of which there is no shortage. Small island nations are begging bigger, first world countries to do something because their land is being engulfed by the rising water.
https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level/
 Pages:  1  ..  35    37    39  ..  111

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.