Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  53    55    57  ..  111
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2023 at 08:59 PM

You have no idea what Jesus said, only what other people claimed he said. Of course, you are free to believe whatever you choose. And I wasn't referring to "sin", a religious concept, I was referring to hypocrisy.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-22-2023 at 09:02 PM

Goat,

PHD or not those guys admit in writing that they can’t understand why the real world weather doesn’t match their models.

I can repost the article.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2023 at 09:10 PM

S,

I said that “I believe”. I also believe sin is more than “a religious concept”. Hypocrisy on the other hand is straight forward, flying around in a private jet to tell people to ride a bicycle to save the planet does come to mind here.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2023 at 11:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
S,

I also believe sin is more than “a religious concept”.

As I said, you can believe whatever you want, and make up whatever word definitions you please, you can believe the moon is made of blue cheese, but factually "sin" is a Judeo-Christian religious concept, the earliest known use of the word is in Genesis, and which means contrary to the will or laws of God. Sin is therefore a religious concept- it's something you believe you shouldn't do because it is displeasing to God.

As opposed to moral values one holds which dictate that one behaves in certain ways because it's simply the right thing to do, that doing otherwise would hurt others or that certain values and behaviors are required in order for people to co-exist in a civilized society- not because you believe there is some divine law that says you shouldn't do it, that you will be judged by God, or that you will go to heaven or hell according to your behavior in life.

Of course people use the word sin loosely these days- saying they were sinful because they ate too much chocolate cake doesn't necessarily mean they think God is going to judge them at the pearly gates for doing so.

[Edited on 5-23-2023 by surabi]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2023 at 12:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The thing about wildfires is that vegetation grows back, so over decades each individual fire is net zero GHG emissions. So is sort of silly to evaluate carbon release from vegetation burning without also looking at vegetation growth that sequesters carbon. Perhaps the vegetation Regrowth removes carbon relatively faster than than old growth vegetation removes carbon, eh?

It's not that simple. Some plants and trees absorb more CO2 than others. The faster growing a plant is, the more CO2 it absorbs and the more oxygen it puts out. Bamboo absorbs 5 times more greenhouse gases and emits 35% more oxygen than an equivalent amount of trees, because of the difference in growth rate. So depending on the type of vegetation that burns up in a fire and the type of regrowth that appears naturally or is replanted, there can be a huge variation in the balance of CO2 released and later on absorbed, and the time span in which that happens.

And precisely because of climate change, the idea that forests will just grow back isn't a given. It may be too hot, too wet, too dry, for what flourished because it was already established for hundreds of years to grow back. Just because ancient redwoods stood in an area before it burnt doesn't mean redwood seedlings will thrive there now.

But the flip side of the fastest growing plants absorbing the most CO2, is that the fastest growing plants also have the shortest life span and when they die, they release CO2 into the atmosphere.

It's really crucial that old growth forests, both temperate and tropical, do not get logged, because those huge old trees absorb the most carbon and live for hundreds of years.

There is also an interesting CO2 interaction between soil and plants: https://news.stanford.edu/press/view/38728

Soil provides about 30% of the earth's carbon capture, which is a really good reason to not pave things over. While they aren't nearly as nice as far as driving on them, dirt roads are far better for the planet than paving them. The more concrete and cement on the earth, the more CO2 in the atmosphere.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2023 at 04:10 AM

This being a site about Baja California and Mexico an understanding of North American Monsoon’s importance to the area we all love might be useful.

Below is a link to a pre-“Climate as a religion” article (1997) which is a retrospective of articles on the subject going back to the late 1800’s. Some of the takeaways are:

1) The NA Monsoon is a very complex weather event.
2) Many areas in the SW US & NE Mexico receive half their rain from it.
3) Generally warmer seas and higher humidity increase the amount of rain delivered by the NA monsoon.

It is interesting to note that to date the best current models still don’t match the actual weather in this area.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/bams/78/10/1520-0...
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2023 at 04:43 AM

S,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maat

“Sin” as a concept predates even Judaism which defines the violation of any of the 613 commandments as a “Sin”.

The Egyptians understood and practiced the concept about 5000 years ago. See the above link.

“Thus shall it be written, thus shall it be done” probably makes not doing it the equivalent of a “Sin”.

That said Hypocrites too, have been with us always!
Glidergeek
Nomad

Mood: Moody

[*] posted on 5-23-2023 at 09:13 AM

How's that palm tree doin:?:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2023 at 09:35 AM

S,

I believe Jesus said “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her”. John 8:7 King James edition.

[Edited on 5-23-2023 by RFClark]

geesus. Try to spare the choir your holy roller crap huh Clark? You post anything to drifts into your head. Guessing you don't have much of a life.

Get one. F*ck religion and politics.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2023 at 09:54 AM

Lee,

You left out flock anyone who disagrees with you. I actually have a very good life and if you view the posts on the house were furnishing up, keep quite busy.

How’s your life doing?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2023 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

If you honestly believe that your individual behavior is irrelevant to the future of the planet (not to mention that of your kids), then... why are you even bothering to argue about this?
:?::?::?:

I like you. You are a smart, reasonable person. I'll give you a detailed answer.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2023 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

If you honestly believe that your individual behavior is irrelevant to the future of the planet (not to mention that of your kids), then... why are you even bothering to argue about this?
:?::?::?:

I like you. You are a smart, reasonable person. I'll give you a detailed answer.

woohoo please share with all!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-23-2023 at 08:46 PM

News for zonies!

Heat Wave and Blackout Would Send Half of Phoenix to E.R., Study Says
New research warns that nearly 800,000 residents would need emergency medical care for heat stroke and other illnesses in an extended power failure. Other cities are also at risk.

If a multiday blackout in Phoenix coincided with a heat wave, nearly half the population would require emergency department care for heat stroke or other heat-related illnesses, a new study suggests.

While Phoenix was the most extreme example, the study warned that other cities are also at risk. Since 2015, the number of major blackouts nationwide has more than doubled. At the same time, climate change is helping make heat waves worse and increasing instances of extreme weather around the world.

The study, published Tuesday in the journal Environmental Science and Technology, suggests that the risk to cities would be compounded if a hurricane, cyberattack or wind storm were to knock out power during a heat wave and deprive thousands of air-conditioning.

This summer, two-thirds of North America, including the Southwest, could experience shortfalls in the electrical grid, particularly during periods of extreme heat when demand for air-conditioning spikes, straining resources, according to an analysis released this month. Phoenix’s mayor, Kate Gallego, has urged the federal government to add extreme heat to the list of disasters like floods and hurricanes that could prompt a federal disaster declaration.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2023 at 08:56 PM

Goat,

You can’t have it both ways. If the electric grid is overloaded now what’s going to happen when more and more people try to charge their cars?

I’m sure glad we live off the grid in BCS Mexico. I’ve got an extra 10KW propane generator. You might want to consider buying it.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2023 at 09:52 PM

Goat,

You can’t have it both ways. If the electric grid is overloaded now what’s going to happen when more and more people try to charge their cars?

I’m sure glad we live off the grid in BCS Mexico. I’ve got an extra 10KW propane generator. You might want to consider buying it.

Here is how utilities are attempting to manage and stabilize the grid in the face of the growth of ev's plugging in:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/electric-vehicle-charging-...

The Ontario government rolled out its new ultra-low overnight electricity price option through the Ministry of Energy on Monday, dropping the overnight rate from 7.4 to 2.4 cents per kilowatt hour every day between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. In exchange for that 67 per cent savings from the current off-peak rate, those who choose the new option will pay a 59 per cent higher price during dinner time and in the evening. The government estimates customers could save up to $90 per year.

2.4 cents per kwh is an amazingly low price to pay to recharge an EV battery, or for that matter, a residential power wall. The utilities are essentially paying users to provide their grid stability as opposed to installing their own battery storage systems at a much higher cost.

[Edited on 5-24-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2023 at 03:44 AM

JD,

Ontario Hydro has sold energy to the US in the past. They have the Pickering nuclear complex. It’s amazing, the difference in attitudes across a few miles of water. You could never build anything like Pickering in the US, especially New York.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-24-2023 at 07:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lobsterman  
Amen Cliffy. I stopped debating on this site years ago because of a few individuals on this board just can not accept the fact that others have a different point of view on the subject. The childish name calling, personal attacks, and racist comments are not worth it. These individuals just want their POV advertised to the detriment of others who disagree.

I just keep to fishing and BBQing posts and leave the political discussions to the grade school children. So enjoy your soapbox.

Lobster boy:
Your political trash talking once led you to bet it all: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88283
You lost that bet, and did not live up to the terms of the bet. Have you no honor? :no::no:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2023 at 07:16 AM

JD,

Ontario Hydro has sold energy to the US in the past. They have the Pickering nuclear complex. It’s amazing, the difference in attitudes across a few miles of water. You could never build anything like Pickering in the US, especially New York.

Those are CANDU reactors. This is from a 2009 Toronto Star article:

"Sources close to the bidding, one involved directly in one of the bids, said that adding two next-generation Candu reactors at Darlington generating station would have cost around $26 billion."

"AECL's $26 billion bid was based on the construction of two 1,200-megawatt Advanced Candu Reactors, working out to $10,800 per kilowatt of power capacity."

"During Ontario Energy Board hearings last summer, the power authority indicated that anything higher than $3,600 per kilowatt would be uneconomical compared to alternatives, primarily natural gas."

----------------

Like the proverb, "If you pray for rain don't complain about the mud", if you pray for nuclear power, don't complain about expensive electricity. Really expensive.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2009/07/14/26b_cost_killed_...

[Edited on 5-24-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2023 at 08:24 AM

Lee,

You left out flock anyone who disagrees with you. I actually have a very good life and if you view the posts on the house were furnishing up, keep quite busy.

How’s your life doing?

Calm down Clark. People can disagree with anything I write. I rarely debate those people. Fact check this.

I'm referring to climate change, carbon footprints, and whatever ppl like to spend time thinking about. I don't think about those things. I'm too busy.

If you are referring to me disagreeing with religion or politics here, yeah, you'll read me jumping in vehemently stating those opinions DO NOT belong on this forum. Disagree with that or not, I don't really give a shlt.

I believe you have a good life Clark. Just too much time on your hands to do the amount of posting you do here -- much of it nonsense and argumentative.

This forum is about Baja. Say what you want about that. Good or bad. Plenty of both there. By the way, nice house you're building. Had some interest early on but got bored. Question your location and don't think you know the history of the area. It's the underbelly and only spoken about by locals.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2023 at 08:32 PM

SH&H

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1002916/ontario-launches-...

The reason they can do this is 60% of ontario’s power comes from Nukes. They are building a new 300MW reactor at Darlington and refurbishing 3 of their old light water reactors.

Compare that to Goat’s post on the state of the US grid.

As I said glad to be solar off the grid in BCS.
 Pages:  1  ..  53    55    57  ..  111

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.