Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  103    105    107  ..  112
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-9-2024 at 07:33 PM

I remember reading about this possibility 20 0r 30 years ago, and it was in conjunction with the theory that it would be the start of the next ice age.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2024 at 09:59 PM

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/climate-scientist-message-winning-...
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2024 at 10:39 PM

If they were attacking the 'person" rather than the climate message then I have no problem with this outcome. Differences of opinion on science are OK but name calling is not.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 2-15-2024 at 03:44 AM
Could Geoengineering Cool the Planet? People doing something past complaining and skipping school or checking your grammer!

“Altering the ocean or atmosphere to mitigate the effects of climate change is an approach called geoengineering. For scientists, these techniques were long considered taboo. But now, that’s changing. Researchers and startups are launching three geoengineering field experiments in Israel, Australia and Massachusetts this year. But will they work and could there be unintended consequences?“

https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/tech-news-briefing/could-geoeng...

IMG_4979.jpeg - 234kB

[Edited on 2-15-2024 by RFClark]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2024 at 07:38 AM

What could go wrong?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2024 at 09:32 AM

SFandH,

What’s currently going wrong? (Hint: The temperature is rising!)
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2024 at 11:15 AM
Scientists found a Stone Age megastructure submerged in the Baltic Sea

The Earth began warming naturally over 11,000 years ago and has continued to this day. Humans have recently made things worse. Humans need to take action to reverse this natural warming trend or again move to higher ground.

“In 2021, Jacob Geersen, a geophysicist with the Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research in the German port town of Warnemünde, took his students on a training exercise along the Baltic coast. They used a multibeam sonar system to map the seafloor about 6.2 miles (10 kilometers) offshore. Analyzing the resulting images back in the lab, Geersen noticed a strange structure that did not seem like it would have occurred naturally.

Further investigation led to the conclusion that this was a manmade megastructure built some 11,000 years ago to channel reindeer herds as a hunting strategy. Dubbed the "Blinkerwall," it's quite possibly the oldest such megastructure yet discovered, according to a new paper published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences—although precisely dating these kinds of archaeological structures is notoriously challenging.”

https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/02/could-this-submerged...

IMG_4981.jpeg - 71kB
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2024 at 02:21 PM

Move to higher ground? How's that going to help when the temperatures soar all over the planet to levels that don't support human, and animal life or food crops?

Mexico City is at 7,350 feet. The mean temperature in 1979 was 16.3C, in 2023 it was 18.3C.
The temperature in June 2023 reached 35C.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-17-2024 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Humans need to take action to reverse this natural warming trend or again move to higher ground.

When flat coastlines of fla, lousiana and texas are flooded, are all those people going to move to cali? I dont think cali will welcome all those knuckledraggers!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2024 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Humans need to take action to reverse this natural warming trend or again move to higher ground.

When flat coastlines of fla, lousiana and texas are flooded, are all those people going to move to cali? I dont think cali will welcome all those knuckledraggers!

California is going to have it's hands full when the Pacific ocean re-claims the central valley! Stockton is already a sea port, and Sacramento is only 30 feet higher.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2024 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

California is going to have it's hands full when the Pacific ocean re-claims the central valley! Stockton is already a sea port, and Sacramento is only 30 feet higher.

stockton is a river port. I think stockton port is upstream of the head of tide, isn’t it?

P.s. Replacing stockton with a lake will be an improvement! :lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2024 at 09:32 AM

“Altering the ocean or atmosphere to mitigate the effects of climate change is an approach called geoengineering. For scientists, these techniques were long considered taboo. But now, that’s changing. Researchers and startups are launching three geoengineering field experiments in Israel, Australia and Massachusetts this year. But will they work and could there be unintended consequences?“

https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/tech-news-briefing/could-geoeng...

[Edited on 2-15-2024 by RFClark]

My current employer is one of the 3 sets of scientists tinkering with the climate by introducing a lye-like alkaline liquid to the ocean off the Massachusetts coast. WHOI does some great work, but usually they measure the impact of climate change instead of trying to directly influence it. I'm a tad skeptical.

WHOI has an official FAQ page about the project, cleverly named "LOC-NESS", here

[Edited on 2-18-2024 by pauldavidmena]

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2024 at 10:59 AM

AK,

One of my “fondest memories” of SAC was staying there with my family in the summer. The only place available was down by the river and upon opening the door a cloud of blood sucking insects awaited us inside.

Past the increase in the size and numbers not much else has changed there in the last 60 years.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2024 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Goat,

Not as big of an improvement as replacing Sacramento. Perhaps the Orcas would run off some of the sharks or better yet invite them out for lunch?

The habitat would be more likely suitable for lampreys and leeches.!

I like Sacramento. Nice town to visit. Also pleasant place to get around by bicycle. Among the big cities in central valley, Sacramento is 1000X better than Bakersfield, Fresno or Stockton! Redding is OK, but pretty dull…

Woke!

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2024 at 02:24 PM

Goat,

That’s a really low bar! Think Buck Owens here!

BTW, make sure you run the really good lock cable through both wheels too or you’ll carry the frame home w/o the wheels! <$1000 is just a misdemeanor!

[Edited on 2-18-2024 by RFClark]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2024 at 02:40 PM
As cities go....

Sacramento is not a bad one! Plenty of parks and trees, people are fairly friendly, and you can pretty much find what you need without having to search very far.

I lived on the north side for a year, and I am only 60 miles north right now. My parasite comment referred to it being the seat of state government. By the way lampreys are a real thing in the Sacramento River system.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2024 at 09:57 AM

AK,

Like I said, the home of clouds of blood sucking insects.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2024 at 06:07 PM

Imagine if we lived in a world where all cars were EVs, and then along comes a new invention, the “Internal Combustion Engine”! Think how well they would sell: A vehicle half the weight. Half the price that will almost quarter the damage done to the road. A vehicle that can be refueled in 1/10th the time and has a range of up to 4 times the distance in all weather conditions. It does not rely on the environmentally damaging use of non-renewable rare earth elements to power it and it uses far less steel and other materials.

Just think how excited people would be for such technology. IT WOULD SELL LIKE HOT CAKES!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-3-2024 at 08:10 PM

Interesting article. Thoughts?

Electric Cars Emit More Particulate Pollution

The Biden administration is reviewing California’s plan to ban the sale of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035. To get federal approval, California claims it “needs” this ban to prevent harm to public health from particulate matter—airborne particles like dust, dirt and soot. But banning gasoline cars would do little to reduce particulate emissions, and it could even increase them.

That’s because new gasoline cars are very clean. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, cars emit only about 1% of all direct fine particulate matter in California, and most of those emissions come from older models. The newer gasoline cars that California wants to ban will often have particulate filters that reduce emissions to below one 1/1,000th of a gram per mile driven.

Where do most particulate emissions attributed to cars come from? California speaks as if their primary source is the tailpipe. That was true in the past. But today most vehicle-related particulate matter comes from tire wear. Cars are heavy, and as their tires rub against the road, they degrade and release tiny, often toxic particles. According to measurements by an emission-analytics firm, in gasoline cars equipped with a particle filter, airborne tire-wear emissions are more than 400 times as great as direct exhaust particulate emissions.

California calls electric cars “zero emissions vehicles” because they don’t have tailpipes. That is deceptive. Generating the electricity that powers those cars creates particulate pollution, and of course electric cars still use tires, which are made from petroleum. Electric cars weigh far more than gasoline-powered ones, so their tires degrade faster, as electric car buyers are learning. The same analytics firm cited earlier compared two cars—a plug-in electric and a hybrid. The electric car weighed about one-third more than the hybrid and emitted roughly one-quarter more particulate matter because of tire wear. Total direct emissions went up, not down, when the electric car was driven.

But when California’s air agency analyzed the effects of its ban, it used a model that assumes both kinds of cars have the same tire wear. When the public pointed out the error, the agency doubled down, claiming it would be “speculative” to assume that electric cars will continue to be heavier than gasoline cars. The agency mused that in the future automakers could probably “offset” the weight of heavy batteries with unspecified “weight reduction in other components or the vehicle body.”

California’s bureaucrats have it backward. What’s “speculative” is assuming that electric cars will soon weigh the same as the gasoline cars they replace. Electric cars are 15% to 30% heavier because batteries store far less energy per pound than liquid fuels. While weight differences between electric and gasoline cars have remained roughly constant over the past decade, the only reasonable prediction of trends is for electric cars to get heavier as manufacturers increase battery size to boost range.

Electric car supporters may argue that gasoline cars also contribute to particle pollution by emitting nitrogen oxides, which can turn into particles. But by California’s estimate, most of the predicted decrease in particle concentrations results from its false assumption that electric cars will substantially reduce direct emissions of particulates, not nitrogen dioxide.

Before California can set any emissions standards for cars, it needs the EPA’s approval. But don’t hold your breath expecting scientific integrity. The EPA’s own emissions model falsely “applies the same tire wear emission rate for all vehicle fuel types (gasoline, diesel, flex-fuel, CNG or electric),” completely ignoring the differences in weight.

Why are California and the EPA so eager to push electric cars when they will increase what EPA administrator Michael Regan calls “one of the most dangerous forms of air pollution”? That’s a good question. Perhaps someone should ask them under oath.

Mr. Buschbacher is a partner at the law firm Boyden Gray PLLC. He served in the Justice Department’s Environment Division (2020-21). Mr. Myers is a research fellow at Boyden Gray and holds a doctorate in mechanical engineering.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-3-2024 at 08:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Interesting article. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I think you anti-eV people are just cranky old men who hate eVs just because you hate environmentalism, and you are so brain washed that you have a knee jerk rxn to object to anything you perceive as liberal.

I'm not anti-EV. I looked at a few last year when buying the wife a new SUV. Decided the tech isn't quite there for what we like to do. I'll get one at some point. Probably buy my daughter one this year or next.

I'm anti the government forcing it on you, not anti-EV. There is a difference. ;)

So now you are gonna ignore "science"?

[Edited on 3-4-2024 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Pages:  1  ..  103    105    107  ..  112

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.