Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  32    34    36  ..  111
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2022 at 08:22 PM

This video was sourced from Dr Patrick Moore, one of the original founders and past chairman for years of Greenpeace back when they were about saving whales and improving the global environment for human occupancy.
Also the only actual environmental scientist to lead the organization.
Not someone to write off I think. And yes, polar bears have become so highly populated in arctic Canada to be a problem during global warming. They seem to thrive under warmer temperatures despite all the warnings.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2022 at 08:32 PM

Polar bear population as of latest census 2020-2021:
https://www.cnsnews.com/article/international/quinn-weimer/r...

(CNS News) – Although the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) contends that melting sea ice, caused by global warming, is causing the polar bear population to decrease, a new report by evolutionary biologist Dr. Susan Crockford reveals that the global population of polar bears is “now almost 30,000 – up from 26,000 in 2015.”
“This is only a slight-to-moderate increase, but it is far from the precipitous decline polar bear experts expected given a drop of almost 50% in sea-ice levels since 1979,” says Crawford. “This indicates summer sea-ice levels are not as critical to polar bear survival as USGS biologists assumed.Despite 2020 having had the second lowest September ice extent since 1979 (after 2012), there were no reports from anywhere around the Arctic that would suggest polar bears were suffering as a result: no starving bears, no drowning bears, and no marked increases in bear conflicts with humans.”

The original full report is here if you are interested in the actual science:
https://www.thegwpf.org/content/uploads/2021/02/Crockford-Po...

[Edited on 11-26-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2022 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
This video was sourced from Dr Patrick Moore, one of the original founders and past chairman for years of Greenpeace back when they were about saving whales and improving the global environment for human occupancy.
Also the only actual environmental scientist to lead the organization.
Not someone to write off I think. And yes, polar bears have become so highly populated in arctic Canada to be a problem during global warming. They seem to thrive under warmer temperatures despite all the warnings.

He says it is well understood that glacier patterns change in 100,000 year cycles. From more to less ice. We are 20,000 years into a warming cycle.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2022 at 09:48 PM

"Patrick Moore, Ph.D. served as Chair of the CO2 Coalition in 2019 and 2020. He is co-founder and 15-year leader of Greenpeace (1971-1986). Chairman and Chief Scientist, Ecosense Environmental. Leader, Campaign to Allow Golden Rice Now.

Dr. Patrick Moore has been a leader in the international environmental field for over 40 years. He is a co-founder of Greenpeace and served for nine years as President of Greenpeace Canada and seven years as a Director of Greenpeace International. As the leader of many campaigns Dr. Moore was a driving force shaping policy and direction for 15 years while Greenpeace became the world’s largest environmental activist organization."

I agree Moore has been at odds with the environmentalist fund raising groups for a few years now. Ever since he began working with industry to alter their practices as a consultant here in BC after leaving his position in Greenpeace. They now see him as a sellout as he works for mutually beneficial practices for both the environment and the economy. I like opposing discussions from various scientists of what is occurring, they do not.
We have seen the results of suppression of opposing science based views from mainstream beliefs in the past, and I think we are presently running the danger of repeating those errors if we continue as we presently are. The polar bear controversy is a good example of that.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2022 at 07:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Goat,

I rate the National Enquirer above the NYT!

So, which news sources do you trust? It's always easy to criticize, without having to propose any alternatives. You only address half an issue?

Epoch Times? USA Today? Fox News? New York Post? WSJ? TikTok? Facebook? Truth Social? Weekly Reader?

Come on, let's hear your most trusted source(s) of information. Enquiring minds want to know.

John

[Edited on 11-26-2022 by John Harper]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2022 at 07:27 AM

My employer, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, was part of an international expedition to Antarctica to assess the impact of climate change on the habitat of Emperor Penguins. Who knew that the canary in the coalmine was dressed in a tuxedo? Here is a recent article about the trip from the WHOI website.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2022 at 08:31 AM

They now see him as a sellout as he works for mutually beneficial practices for both the environment and the economy. I like opposing discussions from various scientists of what is occurring, they do not.

When a scientist is being paid as an industry lobbyist, their "opposing discussion" is highly suspect. Money corrupts, as we well know.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 11-26-2022 at 09:06 AM

S,

As are scientists who’s funding is derived from government institutions that have already decided what the problem is and what the answers are!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2022 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

They now see him as a sellout as he works for mutually beneficial practices for both the environment and the economy. I like opposing discussions from various scientists of what is occurring, they do not.

When a scientist is being paid as an industry lobbyist, their "opposing discussion" is highly suspect. Money corrupts, as we well know.

How would you relate "money corrupts" to an industry whose entire source of income relies on shock tactics to amplify problems they claim to be fighting and collecting donations on?
I see a whole lot of improvement in the industries they claim as the enemy, very little signs of improvement from the influencers pointing the finger.
Industry and the massive number of engineers they employ to provide solutions created the hydro power wind power and solar power slowly replacing fossil fuels. Yet they remain the primary target of accusations.
Kudos to the practical environmental Scientists that are working with them to move us forward.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2022 at 12:04 PM

John,

I don’t “trust” any single news outlet without crosschecking the story. I don’t bother to read the WP or the NYT. I generally don’t watch on-air news unless I can’t find the story in print.

I read BBC’s World Service, Aljazeera, the Jerusalem Post, the South China News, DW, CBC, Reuters, Sky News and the Daily Mail for general news. I read others that are free. I read multiple stories on the same subject. I also read specific outlets on technical subjects like NASA.

Yes, I occasionally watch Tucker Carlson and Rachel Maddow!

All writing has built in cultural bias. If there were non-human sources I would read them too! There was a time when Scientists were called “Natural Philosophers” for me a “Philosophy” is a view of the world around you that explains actions in terms of repeatable results and allows you to anticipate outcomes without relying on magic!

I find that that view is considered “quaint” today where wishing it makes so! It is still worth remembering that wishing and believing that you can fly won’t turn out well unless you have more then feelings going for you!

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2022 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
My employer, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, was part of an international expedition to Antarctica to assess the impact of climate change on the habitat of Emperor Penguins. Who knew that the canary in the coalmine was dressed in a tuxedo? Here is a recent article about the trip from the WHOI website.

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

About Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) is a private, non-profit organization on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, dedicated to marine research, engineering, and higher education. Established in 1930, its primary mission is to understand the ocean and its interaction with the Earth as a whole, and to communicate an understanding of the ocean’s role in the changing global environment. WHOI’s pioneering discoveries stem from an ideal combination of science and engineering—one that has made it one of the most trusted and technically advanced leaders in basic and applied ocean research and exploration anywhere. WHOI is known for its multidisciplinary approach, superior ship operations, and unparalleled deep-sea robotics capabilities. We play a leading role in ocean observation and operate the most extensive suite of data-gathering platforms in the world. Top scientists, engineers, and students collaborate on more than 800 concurrent projects worldwide—both above and below the waves—pushing the boundaries of knowledge and possibility. For more information, please visit www.whoi.edu

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2022 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
John,

I don’t “trust” any single news outlet without crosschecking the story. I don’t bother to read the WP or the NYT. I generally don’t watch on-air news unless I can’t find the story in print.

I read BBC’s World Service, Aljazeera, the Jerusalem Post, the South China News, DW, CBC, Reuters, Sky News and the Daily Mail for general news. I read others that are free. I read multiple stories on the same subject. I also read specific outlets on technical subjects like NASA.

Yes, I occasionally watch Tucker Carlson and Rachel Maddow!

All writing has built in cultural bias. If there were non-human sources I would read them too! There was a time when Scientists were called “Natural Philosophers” for me a “Philosophy” is a view of the world around you that explains actions in terms of repeatable results and allows you to anticipate outcomes without relying on magic!

I find that that view is considered “quaint” today where wishing it makes so! It is still worth remembering that wishing and believing that you can fly won’t turn out well unless you have more then feelings going for you!

Sounds like we have a lot in common. But, I've never ascribed to a world see through rose colored glasses, or wishing. Just dealing with reality, not hoping for deliverance.

John
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2022 at 09:18 PM

I don't think Engineers typically look at things through rose covered glasses, we look ahead for possible problems and try to engineer in practical solutions before they happen.
It's not an exact science and mistakes get made. IMHO opinion, Politicians on the other hand look at solutions already being instituted and think how they can take credit for them.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2022 at 10:04 PM

John,

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge was designed by an engineer wearing rose colored glasses. Murphy will always outbid your worst nightmares!

“I’m from the government and I’m here to help you”, is the second greatest lie. Doug wouldn’t like it if I posted the greatest lie here so you’ll have to guess!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-27-2022 at 08:44 AM

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2022 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

About Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) is a private, non-profit organization on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, dedicated to marine research, engineering, and higher education. Established in 1930, its primary mission is to understand the ocean and its interaction with the Earth as a whole, and to communicate an understanding of the ocean’s role in the changing global environment. WHOI’s pioneering discoveries stem from an ideal combination of science and engineering—one that has made it one of the most trusted and technically advanced leaders in basic and applied ocean research and exploration anywhere. WHOI is known for its multidisciplinary approach, superior ship operations, and unparalleled deep-sea robotics capabilities. We play a leading role in ocean observation and operate the most extensive suite of data-gathering platforms in the world. Top scientists, engineers, and students collaborate on more than 800 concurrent projects worldwide—both above and below the waves—pushing the boundaries of knowledge and possibility. For more information, please visit www.whoi.edu

Thank you for pointing out this text from the WHOI website. After over 35 years working in aerospace, financial services and high-tech, it's been refreshing to part of an organization trying to contribute to our collective understanding of the ocean.

The funding model of WHOI is fairly interesting: a Principal Investigator (PI), usually a scientist, writes a proposal to undertake a specific research project, including resources, time frame and budget. Board members then vote on the proposal, which moves forward if and when it's approved. Early on, the largest source of funding by far was the U.S. Navy. WHOI's first Navy project was to produce a foul-proof paint for the bottom of Naval vessels. Its first major use of a robotic device was to locate a nuclear warhead that had been dropped to the bottom of the Mediterranean in 1966. Since the end of the Cold War, non-military sources of funding have increased, with the National Science Foundation leading the way. Philanthropic giving has also increased over the years, as have partnerships with private corporations.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2022 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Poster child for how insane this grift is.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2022 at 09:54 AM

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-27-2022 at 10:01 AM
Fun facts about Polar Bears.....

They are not really white! their hair is translucent, which allows sunlight to pass through and warm their skin, which is blackish. :wow:

One more thing, Polar Bears don't need ice flows, seals do. The bears go out to hunt seals resting on the ice (advantage, seals).

If there is no ice, the seals have to come ashore to rest and warm up (advantage, bears)

[Edited on 11-27-2022 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

thumbdown.gif posted on 11-27-2022 at 10:20 AM

What is the sixth mass extinction?

A mass extinction is a short period of geological time in which a high percentage of biodiversity, or distinct species—bacteria, fungi, plants, mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, invertebrates—dies out. In this definition, it’s important to note that, in geological time, a ‘short’ period can span thousands or even millions of years. The planet has experienced five previous mass extinction events, the last one occurring 65.5 million years ago which wiped out the dinosaurs from existence. Experts now believe we’re in the midst of a sixth mass extinction.

Unlike previous extinction events caused by natural phenomena, the sixth mass extinction is driven by human activity, primarily (though not limited to) the unsustainable use of land, water and energy use, and climate change.

Woke!

Pages:  1  ..  32    34    36  ..  111

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.