Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  54    56    58  ..  111
Author: Subject: The palm tree is going two feet under water
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-28-2023 at 06:32 AM

Based on this thread, I assume most of our silver-haired nomads don’t care about their grandkids’ future. But the CBC says not all elderly are as obtuse as most nomads….

Worried about their grandkids' future, more seniors are taking up the climate fight
https://www.cbc.ca/news/climate/seniors-climate-action-1.684...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-28-2023 at 07:27 AM
Toyota's view on rushing the EV transition

I saw this this morning, and it echos my thoughts; www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/why-toyota-thinks-forcing-...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2023 at 10:54 AM

New battery tech is coming. Solid state batteries, more stable, smaller, better.
Renewable energy is expanding, taking over the place of dirty fossil fuels.
The grid is being updated.
EVs are taking over market share, auto mfgs are going electric.
LED bulbs have replaced incandescent.
People are learning the joys of cooking with induction.
My electric tools are way better than the gas tools I used to have.
My net metered solar PV has reduced my elec costs to negligible.

Thank god for govt incentives and mandates that prompt industry to research and innovate!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-28-2023 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
New battery tech is coming. Solid state batteries, more stable, smaller, better.
Renewable energy is expanding, taking over the place of dirty fossil fuels.
The grid is being updated.
EVs are taking over market share, auto mfgs are going electric.
LED bulbs have replaced incandescent.
People are learning the joys of cooking with induction.
My electric tools are way better than the gas tools I used to have.
My net metered solar PV has reduced my elec costs to negligible.

Thank god for govt incentives and mandates that prompt industry to research and innovate!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-28-2023 at 11:58 AM

JZ,

“It’s virtually the same as what you were using” is a close second.
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2023 at 12:23 PM

Goat,

Your net metered PV will be useless unless your system “islands” in blackouts or during local service issues. I still have that spare 10KW propane generator for sale.

Neither of us is likely to live to see even these modest grid improvements implemented.

“ Transmission lines can take more than a decade to site, permit and build — CAISO estimates an eight- to 10-year lead time for the investments laid out in its $7.3 billion plan — so acting now is vital to meeting these goals.”

Thomas Edison was working on new technology batteries to store electricity over 100 years ago. Most of the progress in battery technology has been in the last few decades. Primarily it’s fallout from space related industries. To the extent that much of that was taxpayer funded great. The Wright Bros. Were small business people. Langley was the university trained and government funded guy. However did that turnout?

Generally I agree with your other points but thank industry for the improvements unless you want to thank the Chinese Government. “Solyndra” is typical of the US government’s leadership.

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-28-2023 at 01:45 PM

News from a couple months ago, but I missed it.

Tesla announces new Gigafactory in Mexico near Monterey. $10B investment. It's supposed to be 68% bigger than the Gigafactory in Texas. Will be good for the Mexican economy and EV's.

https://electrek.co/2023/03/06/tesla-gigafactory-mexico-more...

[Edited on 5-28-2023 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2023 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Goat,

Your net metered PV will be useless unless your system “islands” in blackouts or during local service issues. I still have that spare 10KW propane generator for sale.

Power outages are very rare in my neighborhood, outages are a few minutes, perhaps once per year, and have never lasted more than 24 hours. I have no need for a backup generator.
Even if the power went out for a week or more, I know how to survive w/o electricity; do you?
Generator sounds like a huge waste of money. Do you want me to teach you how to light a candle or turn on a flashlight? How to cook over a camp stove, bbq or fire?

Woke!

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2023 at 02:11 PM

Oh, but these gringoes "can't survive" in hot weather without AC, Goat. No dishwasher? No cold beer? Life or death situation.

Where I live, within about 3 minutes of the power going out, you hear the gringoes' generators fire up, shattering the peace and quiet, a constant annoying rumble. The Mexicans and I seem to get through the outage just fine without instantly running for the fossil fuel machines.

[Edited on 5-28-2023 by surabi]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2023 at 03:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Oh, but these gringoes "can't survive" in hot weather without AC, Goat. No dishwasher? No cold beer? Life or death situation.

Where I live, within about 3 minutes of the power going out, you hear the gringoes' generators fire up, shattering the peace and quiet, a constant annoying rumble. The Mexicans and I seem to get through the outage just fine without instantly running for the fossil fuel machines.

[Edited on 5-28-2023 by surabi]

For 7 months every year, we live with a 100-watt panel and two medium-sized AGM Optima batteries that get fully charged every day. Cold beer, a necessity, is done with propane. I'm on the grid for the other 5 months.

Small is beautiful, less is more. Think global, act local. Conserve.

[Edited on 5-28-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-28-2023 at 04:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
[/rquote]

For 7 months every year, we live with a 100-watt panel and two medium-sized AGM Optima batteries that get fully charged every day. Cold beer, a necessity, is done with propane. I'm on the grid for the other 5 months.

I admire this. I'd like to think I could live on a boat. With Starlink of course.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2023 at 03:07 AM

Goat,

Thanks for the offer, but been there, done that! The generator is surplus because we have enough solar in BCS to live comfortably and green!

IMG_4263.jpeg - 166kB
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2023 at 05:39 AM

RFClark: I am constantly amazed by what we don't see coming from the Engineers and suddenly every preconception gets thrown out. The Ford lightning power to house concept combined with residential power walls suddenly flipped the need for massive grid changes on its head, allowing for individual storage backups in every neighbourhood once it is broadly rolled out.

Now to tackle the water shortage problems. We have enough excess solar power installed to generate close to 50gpd demineralized and purified water using a Genaq atmospheric water generator system if my energy calcs are correct. Side benefit on a properly designed system is free hot water production on the condenser side of the refrigeration system. Cost? So far I haven't been able to obtain any firm quotes.

[Edited on 5-29-2023 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2023 at 06:27 AM

The world's constant need for more electricity balanced by those who wish to live in caves - seems to be the current mantra,
Maybe if we had more cave dwellers then the failing power grid in Calif would be pushed off for a few more years?

The losers in the race for electricity are always the developing countries, THEY need low cost power to survive let alone prosper and GREEN power ain't it. Only coal right now solves that problem. Its been postulated that bringing the impoverished out of their hole to the tune $5000 USD / yr / person would bring about more thinking on THEIR part to find better electrical solutions than coal but until then, for them, coal is a matter of survival.

Coal ain't going away any time soon in the majority of the world. To think that a minor segment of the world, spending trillions of dollars on GREEN will make an overall difference in the world's climate (as the developing nations build more coal power plants) is pure folly.

Its only a self-serving game of "Look how good I am! I'm going GREEN! But with no realized gains anywhere, in the long term.

Solve poverty world wide and you solve the emissions problem. Ignore it and you make no real progress on your espoused views.

The further debate as to what will ACTUALLY happen with a warming atmosphere is pure speculation with no hard facts to back it up. Its all speculation and guesses. Engineering models (guesses) that for the most part do not follow what is actually happening right now.

Tell me what the weather will be next year with high accuracy and I'll start to listen to the nonsense making news about the future 20 30 or 50 years from now. Nobody predicted this years extreme heavy snow falls in the western USA did they? If your prognostications are so good looking forward 20 or 30 years then this years winter weather should have been a no brainer don't ya think?

It remains a Chicken Little argument but- the sky is not falling anytime soon.

We do know that the atmosphere WAS a lot warmer back in history and the world survived quite nicely. More CO2 does let plants grow better and they give off oxygen.

Now we do have a lessening of the forest acreage worldwide but that is a function of food and power for the economically depressed part of the world earlier referred to. Again maybe if we brought them out of poverty we could lessen the impact of their power needs- IF that impact really is or will be an actual issue worldwide.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2023 at 06:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
[/rquote]

I admire this. I'd like to think I could live on a boat. With Starlink of course.

Bahia Concepcion is a popular place to live aboard, except during hurricane season. The people I know that do it store their boats in Guaymas or San Carlos Sonora and sail/motor across the Sea of Cortez in the fall and back in the spring. Free anchorage and calm waters between Playa Santispac and Playa Coyote.

Their boats are in the 30 to 40-foot range, some smaller some bigger, sail and power. During the hurricane season, their boats are stored in a boatyard, usually in San Carlos.

These days they all have solar power and most have Starlink.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-29-2023 at 07:18 AM
Covid 19 pandemic responsible for the record Sierra snow pack!

This is not my theory, but a neighbor was telling me about a climate expert (who he could not name) who was explaining how the lock-downs, travel restrictions and lower industrial activity in China resulted in far less pollution in the Pacific atmosphere.

According to him, the Chinese output of air pollutants has been causing the below average precipitation of recent decades, and the decerease in their production is responsible for a return of the wet, heavy winters of the past.

There are plenty of theories out there, time will sort them out!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2023 at 09:01 AM

Goat,

Thanks for the offer, but been there, done that! The generator is surplus because we have enough solar in BCS to live comfortably and green!

Power outages of significant duration happen maybe once in 20 years. I don’t need a backup generator for a problem I never or rarely have.
If you live in Pakistan where you have brown outs or black out every day, then maybe you need a generator.
If you live off the grid and did not build a large enough battery bank for your solar PV, then maybe you need a generator.
Why buy/maintain 2 power generating systems when with a bit of wise planning 1 system will do? :?:
Maintain your system properly and you won’t experience failure that requires a backup system :light:

[Edited on 5-29-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-29-2023 at 09:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Goat,

Power outages of significant duration happen maybe once in 20 years. I don’t need a backup generator for a problem I never or rarely have.
If you live in Pakistan where you have brown outs or black out every day, then maybe you need a generator.
If you live off the grid and did not build a large enough battery bank for your solar PV, then maybe you need a generator.
Why buy/maintain 2 power generating systems when with a bit of wise planning 1 system will do? :?:
Maintain your system properly and you won’t experience failure that requires a backup system :light:

[Edited on 5-29-2023 by mtgoat666]

That use to be the case in CA. Definitely not true now.

My kid had 3 half day outages in Santa Cruz in March. We have had rolling brown outs around our neighborhood in LA for the last 5-10 years when it get hot.

Everytime there are fires they shut the power off on tens of thousands of ppl.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2023 at 10:03 AM

Goat,

You’re the one who posted “the grid is falling” article. My several generations of experience is have backups and spares because chit happens just when you’re ready to go live.

I learned AC power and Air Conditioning by having to fix stuff in the field.

Things that matter usually have 2 redundant primaries, a backup and a battery backup as the last resort.

Nothing worse than loosing power on a dark night flying IFR. Boeing on the original 7 series had an alternator plus a TR buss for each engine and battery backup. Any one of which could power the AC. That was in an AC series that could fly with all the power off!

That said even Boeing can FU. The 727s with the Flight Engineer station ran all the AC & DC power through the same conduit to and from the FE station. They lost 1 or possibly 2 737s, one in SM Bay off LAX before a 3rd AC had a daytime failure. They (the 3rd AC) survived the smoke filled c-ckpit by opening the copilot’s side window to clear the smoke. Smoke from a fire in the power feed buss to the FE station. The plane landed with all power out!

So I like backups! Call me insecure, but also call me prepared because Murphy can outbid your worst nightmares!

[Edited on 5-30-2023 by RFClark]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2023 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
RFClark: I am constantly amazed by what we don't see coming from the Engineers and suddenly every preconception gets thrown out. The Ford lightning power to house concept combined with residential power walls suddenly flipped the need for massive grid changes on its head, allowing for individual storage backups in every neighbourhood once it is broadly rolled out.

I don't understand. Are you saying using your BEV to power your house when the grid is down? If so, how does that change the grid requirements and design?

Pages:  1  ..  54    56    58  ..  111

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.