Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Road to Scorpion Bay/ San Juanico
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-22-2021 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

.... Maybe if you tried speeding up, with good tires, good vehicle, and some experience, you may find what I have found? ....

So....Harald needs better equipment and should get some experience ?

:?:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-22-2021 at 04:27 PM

I was replying to Mulege Canuck.

Harald knows what is best for him and his vehicles. He offers great advice, typically.
It has been almost 20 years of reading posts here. and I have never heard of driving slow on washboard being recommended before. I will just chalk this aberration up as just that.
In a Tacoma, with good tires, deflated 30%, faster is better for me.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-22-2021 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I was replying to Mulege Canuck.

Harald knows what is best for him and his vehicles. He offers great advice, typically.
It has been almost 20 years of reading posts here. and I have never heard of driving slow on washboard being recommended before. I will just chalk this aberration up as just that.
In a Tacoma, with good tires, deflated 30%, faster is better for me.

I know what is best.
Not only for me.
It is called science.

And of course, if you combine deflated tires with speed, your tires will do fine.
Upgrading to higher volume tires is even better.
However, the fatigue caused by the oscillated pounding (impact wrench) is accumulative stress. Like sea level rise, you won't notice immediately.
But you'll pay in the end.
If you need to rely on the performance of your truck, you don't expose it to too much stress.
It is called mechanical sympathy.
In Baja where AAA and spare parts are out of reach, you better baby your truck.

"Do whatever you feel is right" is too republican for me.

DSC_3569 G500 airing up-e copy.jpg - 276kB

Harald Pietschmann
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2021 at 11:29 AM

One other negative consequence of driving fast on washboards is your tires are in contact with the road surface for a smaller percentage of the the time. A friend of mine died when he rolled his jeep while driving fast on a washboard road. His son was a passenger and survived. He said his dad let up on the gas prior to a curve and lost control as the jeep began to slow down, they went sideways off the road before getting to the curve. I'll now drive a little slower and maintain contact at the expense of a rougher ride.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-23-2021 at 12:08 PM

Sad for anyone losing their life in a vehicle. Never exceed a vehicle's or driver's abilities and drive, safely. "Fast" for me on a washboard road is 40 mph. "Fast" for others may be 100 mph. I was a passenger in a modified Raptor prerunner driven by a professional racer, going over 100 mph, and I felt very safe. It is all relative. Some washboard roads are worse than others. One size doesn't fit all.

[Edited on 8-23-2021 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2021 at 07:30 PM

This is probably pretty basic info for most on this forum. When I have a lot of washboard, I try to put one side of my truck wheels in he soft sand at the edge of the road. This smooths out the ride and enables me to drive without destroying my vehicle.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.