Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Baja Bound insurance experience
WillB

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 05:36 AM
Baja Bound insurance experience

I bought a BajaBound policy through Chubb for my drive to southern Baja. While the policy was easy to secure, submitting an actual claim was a horrible experience. I unfortunately hit a deer on February 16, 2021. In the attached picture, you can see that the damage consisted of a dented hood and side panel, caved in radiator, and broken transmission fluid cooler. I submitted a claim the next day, and by the afternoon a tow truck took my vehicle to the mechanic. At this point, I was really pleased with the service. Little did I know that I wouldn’t see my van for three months.
After the first month, the mechanic’s story was that Chubb wouldn’t authorize him to buy the ~10 parts to fix the van. Contacting Chubb was impossible because it was a voicemail chain all in spanish, and even then no one would answer the phone. Bajabound did help contact Chubb. The first Chubb representative told me that there was confusion over which vehicle to authorize at the mechanic and that now the repairs were underway. The next representative sent me an email saying that this is not how Chubb does business and stating that Chubb would reimburse me for $1000 in car rental and $500 in hotel fees (see email excerpt below). This seemed nice, although it was a complete lie.
After the second month, the contact dropped off. I started going directly to the mechanic and his main excuse was that the supply chain was so messed up that he couldn’t get the parts. Finally, my wife and kids flew back to the States, and I stayed behind to get the van because the mechanic promised it would be done in two weeks.
Well, two weeks went by and neither Chubb nor Bajabound would help. The mechanic still didn’t have the parts and the van was undrivable. I finally flew back to the states and purchased another car to use for my family. I had friends that agreed to pick up the van when it was done and drive it back to the States.
After three months, my friends’ deadline was up to leave Baja. They stopped by the mechanic to discover that the van was no longer at the shop. Surprise, surprise the mechanic had the vehicle at his house, which most likely means he was using it as his private vehicle. He said that the parts had just come in and the repair would take a couple more days. We gave him two hours to replace the parts, which he reluctantly did after calling the cops on us. After telling the cops the whole story, they sided with the gringos. We got the van and took it to another mechanic to make sure that it was repaired correctly. Although the repair lasted for the trip back to the States, it broke shortly thereafter.
I’ve contacted Bajabound and Chubb seeking reimbursement for the expenses I incurred, and was encouraged to incur, and neither have responded.
After reading reviews of Bajabound and Chubb, it is apparent that they are happy to take your money. Look for yourself, most of the reviews rave about how easy the website is to navigate and you can get a policy within minutes. That is great if all you want is a policy, but I hope you never have to actually submit a claim under the policy because it was a nightmare. I actually incurred more expenses after relying on them to help than I would have by organizing the repair myself.
My goal isn’t to rant about a poor experience, I would actually like to see these companies suffer somehow. They didn’t care about me when I was a customer, and I doubt they will care about me if I file one lawsuit. It seems that they have a common practice of taking people’s money and then letting them suffer after an accident happens. I’m guessing a class action complaint would get some attention, so I am searching for other people that have been screwed over by these lying scammers.

In the meantime, my plan is to slowly file claims and reviews:
Contact the California Department of Insurance: http://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-consumers/101-help/index.cfm
Contact the Mexican Regulators:
https://phpapps.condusef.gob.mx/margo.0.1/registro.php?ban=t...
BBB:
https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-diego/profile/insurance-servic...
https://www.bbb.org/us/or/portland/profile/insurance-service...

Making a list of all the publications that recommend Bajabound to let them know what happens when one actually needs help for a policy instead of just getting policy.

Thanks for reading, please contact me if you have had a similar experience or advice.
Will

van small.png - 90kB

BB_LI (2).jpg - 95kB
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WillB  
I bought a BajaBound policy through Chubb for my drive to southern Baja. While the policy was easy to secure, submitting an actual claim was a horrible experience. I unfortunately hit a deer on February 16, 2021. In the attached picture, you can see that the damage consisted of a dented hood and side panel, caved in radiator, and broken transmission fluid cooler. I submitted a claim the next day, and by the afternoon a tow truck took my vehicle to the mechanic. At this point, I was really pleased with the service. Little did I know that I wouldn’t see my van for three months.
After the first month, the mechanic’s story was that Chubb wouldn’t authorize him to buy the ~10 parts to fix the van. Contacting Chubb was impossible because it was a voicemail chain all in spanish, and even then no one would answer the phone. Bajabound did help contact Chubb. The first Chubb representative told me that there was confusion over which vehicle to authorize at the mechanic and that now the repairs were underway. The next representative sent me an email saying that this is not how Chubb does business and stating that Chubb would reimburse me for $1000 in car rental and $500 in hotel fees (see email excerpt below). This seemed nice, although it was a complete lie.
After the second month, the contact dropped off. I started going directly to the mechanic and his main excuse was that the supply chain was so messed up that he couldn’t get the parts. Finally, my wife and kids flew back to the States, and I stayed behind to get the van because the mechanic promised it would be done in two weeks.
Well, two weeks went by and neither Chubb nor Bajabound would help. The mechanic still didn’t have the parts and the van was undrivable. I finally flew back to the states and purchased another car to use for my family. I had friends that agreed to pick up the van when it was done and drive it back to the States.
After three months, my friends’ deadline was up to leave Baja. They stopped by the mechanic to discover that the van was no longer at the shop. Surprise, surprise the mechanic had the vehicle at his house, which most likely means he was using it as his private vehicle. He said that the parts had just come in and the repair would take a couple more days. We gave him two hours to replace the parts, which he reluctantly did after calling the cops on us. After telling the cops the whole story, they sided with the gringos. We got the van and took it to another mechanic to make sure that it was repaired correctly. Although the repair lasted for the trip back to the States, it broke shortly thereafter.
I’ve contacted Bajabound and Chubb seeking reimbursement for the expenses I incurred, and was encouraged to incur, and neither have responded.
After reading reviews of Bajabound and Chubb, it is apparent that they are happy to take your money. Look for yourself, most of the reviews rave about how easy the website is to navigate and you can get a policy within minutes. That is great if all you want is a policy, but I hope you never have to actually submit a claim under the policy because it was a nightmare. I actually incurred more expenses after relying on them to help than I would have by organizing the repair myself.
My goal isn’t to rant about a poor experience, I would actually like to see these companies suffer somehow. They didn’t care about me when I was a customer, and I doubt they will care about me if I file one lawsuit. It seems that they have a common practice of taking people’s money and then letting them suffer after an accident happens. I’m guessing a class action complaint would get some attention, so I am searching for other people that have been screwed over by these lying scammers.

In the meantime, my plan is to slowly file claims and reviews:
Contact the California Department of Insurance: http://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-consumers/101-help/index.cfm
Contact the Mexican Regulators:
https://phpapps.condusef.gob.mx/margo.0.1/registro.php?ban=t...
BBB:
https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-diego/profile/insurance-servic...
https://www.bbb.org/us/or/portland/profile/insurance-service...

Making a list of all the publications that recommend Bajabound to let them know what happens when one actually needs help for a policy instead of just getting policy.

Thanks for reading, please contact me if you have had a similar experience or advice.
Will

Sounds like a horrible experience!
I have heard good things about baja bound, but sounds like perhaps they have changed for the worse.
Sometimes the only way to get action from companies is by publicly shaming them…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 06:52 AM

This is on the mechanic and Chubb not Baja Bound.

Sounds like Baja Bound got you in contact with them when you asked.

This statement is incorrect "bought a BajaBound policy through Chubb." You bought a Chubb policy through Baja Bound.

You should be upset, but looks like you are mad at the wrong ppl.

[Edited on 8-28-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 07:37 AM
Will Baja Bound reply?

We've had Baja Bound for years. Fortunately no claims.

Apparently we may be mistaken to think Baja Bound would be more involved in helping in the event of an accident or other claim.

We would certainly like to see a posting here from Baja Bound, especially detailing how WillB was perhaps expecting too much from them.

It's about time for us to renew our annual policy, should we explore other options? Is WillB's experience typical?

Edited to add this from the Baja Bound website

John M

[Edited on 8-28-2021 by John M]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 08:04 AM

Who ever sold the policy is responsible as they took the money. This is a horror story so sad this happened. I can only report my experience with Bernie's Mexican Ins. I was not driving got my new at time 2 month old Toyota prerunner. Returned to near totaled called agent late night. Next day I made truck so I could drive it. Adjuster waiting made report at body shop . Repairs close to 10 grand . I told them better be good repair. Because that was my work 45 years. Told them order parts call me back when you have them. Also told them all factory Toyota parts in the box . I acept no china parts all good and good repairs
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 08:34 AM

Mexican Insurance is mostly for Mexican nationals to be compensated should you do anything in their country, not to reimburse you for any loss. There have been exceptions, but they are the exception, not the rule.

We had hurricane damage on our condo and the complex had hurricane coverage as required by Mexico law. The company said we were too close to the ocean for them to be liable for the coverage. The same guy that sold us the coverage too. Welcome to Mexico.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 08:44 AM

I will be following this for sure, I've always used Baja bound but never made a claim. This is not something I would want to deal with from the states with my truck sitting in Baja, all the while trying to work and continue life!

I really hope we get a response from Baja bound as well, I know that one of our members his a rep for them. Sorry you had to deal with this mess. Not speaking much Spanish has all ways made me worry about just this kind of situation.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 08:58 AM

I am curious how the the repair facility was selected. Did the insurance company have a list of approved shops, or was he selected by the tow truck driver, or you?

I only carry liability on my older vehicles, and have never had to use it. I sure hope you are able to recover your costs, plus something for the B.S. you have experie ced!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 09:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

I've never dealt with an accident claim; does the insurance company normally interact with the repair facility, or is that the complete responsability of the victim?

I can't answer your question but I think it is the local insurance adjuster that approves repair costs.

I was in an American friend's car when an accident occurred with a Mexican car near Mulege. Since my friend was new to Mex and didn't speak any Spanish I stayed with him through the whole ordeal. Both cars were disabled, nobody was hurt.

Unfortunately, the Federales just happened to drive by and stopped. I could leave but the two drivers had to stay. So I left and walked to get my car, not far away, and returned to help out my friend.

The cops called tow trucks and the cars were towed to the cop shop in Mulege. It took a couple of hours for the tow trucks to come.

We got to the cop shop about 3 PM, my friend called his Mex insurance company, don't know which one, and spoke in English with someone. The insurance company said to stay with the car and they would send an adjuster.

The adjuster, from Santa Rosalia, showed up at about 10 PM and determined that the other driver was at fault and totaled my friend's car. It was an old beater sedan, high mileage, and not worth much, but he did have collision insurance. I think my friend eventually got $800 from the insurance company.

So it was 10 hours or so sitting around with the Federales, who did not leave.

I think the key to this story is an adjuster from the insurance company came out and settled the situation, which also satisfied the cops.

[Edited on 8-28-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 10:44 AM

The Ins company is in direct contact with body shop . From start to finnish yes English spoken in mexico . From my company yes they sold you policy. Are responsible from start to finish. Baja bound most people have good words about this company . We wait to hear there side before judgement. If no response then it's on them .
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 11:13 AM

baja bound should be scrambling to make this right.
customers will stampede to other providers after viewing negative reviews.
a modern consequence of social media on consumer behaviour.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 11:21 AM

WillB, this is your first post on Baja Nomad... Generally, this is not the typical way to introduce yourself to the group by slamming the site's primary sponsor.

That said, nobody should have a bad experience with their insurance company or the agency that sold the policy, and we all hope it gets resolved.

Baja Bound's owner is a member of this forum and from past experiences, he goes above and beyond to assist their clients in resolving issues (as rare as they are). Let's hear his version of events in all fairness.

Baja Bound sells two brands of insurance. I believe Chubb is the cheaper brand? If they act poorly, then it is an incentive to choose HDI instead.

We all will be following this. I hope you take time to introduce yourself and tell us what you like about Baja!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 11:49 AM

I for one appreciate a report like this regardless of if it is by a first time poster. After all, not all Baja experiences are just roses. Of course Baja Bound can and should respond and I’m sure most will be happy to accept their explanation. This is not an experience anyone would give high marks to their insurer for.
Having said that, I had over 100ft of chain link fence wiped out by a drunk driver and rolling over in my driveway who was insured by Geico. They are emailing me for the third time for color photos, the police report, and license plate pictures of the vehicle. All of this was promptly supplied right away and they supposedly had their adjuster out to view although no one ever saw them. So Baja isn’t the only place to get the runaround.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 12:21 PM

I don't think it is a problem first poster to report problem. It's good for all on this site like I said. Baja bound is member and in good standing . Let's hear you story then make judgement .
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 12:26 PM
First timer

I sure don't have an issue with the fact that this is WillB's first post.

Nomad is here as a forum and WillB presented the story as he saw it. What else is he to do??? post about fishing, storm clouds, sea levels, and hijackings first, then tell his story after half-dozen less important posts?

We appreciate that Baja Bound sponsors the forum and their response to this thread will be appreciated, so we can better understand how they see their role in the event a claim needs to be made, or has been made as in this case.

As I mentioned earlier, we are Baja Bound customers and loyalty is important but in the event we have a claim it'll be nice to know what they will or won't do for us.

John M
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 12:30 PM

Sounds like getting parts was a major issue. I wonder what kind of vehicle it is. I've always thought driving vehicles that are not sold in Mexico could lead to headaches if parts are needed. Maybe that's the root cause.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
WillB, this is your first post on Baja Nomad... Generally, this is not the typical way to introduce yourself to the group by slamming the site's primary sponsor.

Blame the victim?

Nice welcome message. :?:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 12:59 PM

Nope, just stating a fact. Read the rest of my reply. Has WilllB also posted on Talk Baja (also is sponsored by Baja Bound) or any other websites about this? If this is a real event, I want him to recover all that is his due.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 01:14 PM
Recover what is due isn't the only issue

Recovering what is due is important - but in my view what we should expect from the company we buy insurance from is also important whether it is B.B., Lewis & Lewis, Instant Mex or whomever. Does their help stop when they receive our payment?

Like AVRider, our Spanish is pretty limited. Under the stressful situation of an accident we've kept BB's phone number handy in the event we need advice or guidance from them in English.

John M
geraldalexander7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 02:55 PM

Waiting to hear from "Baja Bound" ???

Facebook.com/Gerald Beltran
Casas & Condos for rent in La Paz...$100US per/month.....Daily & weekly rates also.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.