Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Baja Bound insurance experience
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 04:35 PM

This caught my eye in the original post:

"He said that the parts had just come in and the repair would take a couple more days. We gave him two hours to replace the parts, which he reluctantly did after calling the cops on us."

-----------------------------------------------------

That encounter went well, didn't it?

If I were Bajabound I wouldn't respond to this issue on a public message board. There's a lot of bad blood going on.

[Edited on 8-28-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

"He said that the parts had just come in and the repair would take a couple more days. We gave him two hours to replace the parts, which he reluctantly did after calling the cops on us."

If I were Bajabound I wouldn't respond to this issue on a public message board. There's a lot of bad blood going on.

Right from the jump I thought something was off on the story.

"After the first month, the mechanic’s story was that Chubb wouldn’t authorize him to buy the ~10 parts to fix the van."

Who waits a month to get this update? This is something you get sorted in 2-3 days. And then you get dates from the mechanic on receiving the parts, time for the repairs. You don't wait until the second month to hear there are supply chain issues.

He should have had the vehicle towed to the US within 1 week. That's how long it should have taken to determine it couldn't be fixed in Mexico in a reasonable time frame. The insurance company would have paid for that.

This isn't on Baja Bound. This is on the Op, the mechanic, and maybe Chubb.

[Edited on 8-28-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 04:46 PM

I was in the auto repair over 45 years. In mexico it is different where we would order parts. The adjuster looks at the damage with the shop. The Ins company it self ordered the parts . It was out of the hands of body shop. It can be the the factory is out of parts or difficult to get used parts . What year and model is it ?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 04:57 PM

Having been in a couple of accidents in Baja and dealt with Mexican insurance companies I advise only get a policy where you can take your vehicle to a repair shop of your choice and do it. Don't let the insurance company tell you where to get it fixed, if you do most likely you'll be sorry I was.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 05:15 PM

BajaBound is a great company! Nice Folks too!
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 06:56 PM

Hello Nomads,

Geoff from Baja Bound here. I sent a direct U2U message to WillB about the situation to get his policy number and claim number so I can follow up with Chubb directly. It does sound like the mechanic was not trustworthy and is the main cause of the issues presented here, along with the supply chain issues (which are very real). We will address all of these issues with Chubb directly.

Once I hear back from WillB, I will have our agents to review their call logs and emails with him regarding the incident so we can get to the bottom of this. We go out of our way to help our clients when it comes to claims, and many Nomads can attest to that. If you need assistance with a claim, we are always willing to help. That is what we do and have done for almost 30 years.

I'll keep you posted after WillB responds to my U2U and I know more about the situation...

Thanks!

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 07:13 PM

BajaGeoff, thanks for checking in and updating everyone. It will be nice to get the other side of the story..
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
BajaGeoff, thanks for checking in and updating everyone. It will be nice to get the other side of the story..

Unless WillB comes back with another post, I would not expect to hear any more about the case. It would be unethical for BajaGeoff to discuss the details on a public forum!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by advrider  

Unless WillB comes back with another post, I would not expect to hear any more about the case. It would be unethical for BajaGeoff to discuss the details on a public forum!

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2021 at 10:56 PM

AKGringo - That is exactly why I messaged him privately to work out the details and offer our help on the matter.

As I mentioned previously, we are always willing to help our clients with claims. Baja Bound is not some fly by night company trying to rip people off. We've been doing Mexican auto insurance for almost 30 years and our reputation in the industry has been earned by treating people with honesty and respect and helping them get their claims handled.

I can't speak for the mechanic that fouled this whole claim up, but I can say that we will do our best to make sure he is no longer a subcontractor working on behalf of Chubb clients.

I will keep everyone informed as we know more. Still no reply from WillB via U2U private messages...

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Right from the jump I thought something was off on the story.

"After the first month, the mechanic’s story was that Chubb wouldn’t authorize him to buy the ~10 parts to fix the van."

Who waits a month to get this update? This is something you get sorted in 2-3 days. And then you get dates from the mechanic on receiving the parts, time for the repairs. You don't wait until the second month to hear there are supply chain issues.

He should have had the vehicle towed to the US within 1 week. That's how long it should have taken to determine it couldn't be fixed in Mexico in a reasonable time frame. The insurance company would have paid for that.

This isn't on Baja Bound. This is on the Op, the mechanic, and maybe Chubb.

[Edited on 8-28-2021 by JZ]

Have a friend who had CHUB. took 6 months for them to total the vehicle. And updates were hard to get with lots of run-a-round. The OP's experience is very believable in my mind.

DK--when you have a problem with a cheap insurance company...you do not just give up and get a more expensive one. You just had to shoot the poster didn't you.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 11:52 AM

Personally very interested in this case as we were about to insure before driving down. Hopefully we get an idea of the resolution and whether Chubb might best be avoided. As i saw a lot of recommendations from this site, we were also leaning to Baja Bound as the supplier.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Personally very interested in this case as we were about to insure before driving down. Hopefully we get an idea of the resolution and whether Chubb might best be avoided. As i saw a lot of recommendations from this site, we were also leaning to Baja Bound as the supplier.

They also offer another MX carrier other than Chubb. I would definitely use Baja Bound.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 12:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

They also offer another MX carrier other than Chubb. I would definitely use Baja Bound.

Yes, HDI (the one I get annually when traveling to Baja). Man, it's been so long since I drove my Tacoma in Baja! I hope that changes soon!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

cabobaja
Nomad

Mood: Smiling

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 07:35 AM

Have had a Baja Bound policy for years. Always dealt with Yara.
She's the best!
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 08:34 AM

I think the common denominator here is CHUBB. I have my policy through Discover Baja and needed to make a claim last July. non of the numbers were functional from Baja and I had folks try from the states with no success. I finally got a response from CHUBB after they were chased by the Discover Baja folks, I submitted all the paperwork and and now its gone deal again. I wouldn't touch CHUBB with a 10 foot pole after this experience and will go back to HDI.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 11:49 AM

Hello Nomads,

Still no response to my private message to WillB.

However, I did talk with our agent Yara who has been helping him with this claim since the beginning. She forwarded me the string of emails between Chubb, Baja Bound and WillB which shows the correspondence starting this past March that goes all the way to last Wednesday, August 25th. We also have all of the WhatsApp messages between our office and the Chubb claims center that show the progression of the claim. We would be happy to share all of these emails and messages to offer full transparency - with permission from WillB of course!

The bottom line is…

Chubb did their duty and paid for the car to be repaired. Because the repair took longer than anticipated, Chubb did the right thing and waived the deductible for the client. Additionally and in Chubb’s defense, they provided more rental vehicle coverage as well as more reimbursement for hotel expenses than what is normally covered by the policy.

So what are the main issues with the claim that we can see?

1. The mechanic took much longer to fix the vehicle than anticipated. We have had a number of claims take much longer than we’d like over the last year due to not being able to get parts and the supply chain issues the world is experiencing right now. This definitely played a big part in the delay with this claim, but we certainly would like to know issues with this specific mechanic and are looking into it with Chubb. Historically, La Paz has always been a tough location in Mexico to source vehicle parts.

2. The delay with the reimbursement of WillB’s travel expenses. According to our agent Yara (who serves as our claims liaison) Chubb has had some staffing issues as a result of the pandemic, so things are taking longer to get processed. At no point was the claim denied, or disputed and it will get paid. It is simply taking longer to get processed, and we are pushing Chubb to get a check issued ASAP.

So in direct response to WillB and his initial post:

We truly empathize with your frustrations regarding the delay in repairs to your vehicle. That said, there is no “fraud” here and no “people getting screwed over by lying scammers.” We would be happy to share all of the correspondence related to the matter on this forum with your permission. Our reputation as an honest and hard working insurance agency has been earned over the last three decades and we stand by it.

We always go above and beyond for our clients and work with them to get the best and fastest possible outcome during a claim. As an example, Yara spent almost five hours helping you with this claim on a Saturday afternoon when our office was closed for the weekend. Throughout this process we have worked consistently with Chubb to improve the situation by waiving your deductible and providing the other benefits mentioned above. We have been in steady and consistent communication with you as well.

Your claims of Baja Bound perpetuating fraud and us not communicating with you are completely false, damaging to our reputation, and libelous in nature. As mentioned above, we have all the documentation to fully back this up.

We hope this issue is resolved as soon as possible, and we’ll update this thread as we get more information.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 12:00 PM

Thanks for the update Geoff. Very thorough.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 12:15 PM

Thanks so much for that response! We will certainly use your company (and Chubb ) in the future to obtain our Mexico insurance. You've certainly convinced us

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 12:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Why is this?

San Diego and major industrial hubs in other parts of Mexico, are a only few transport days away, a lot less by air freight...
:?:

You ask a lot of nit picky questions on here.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.