Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Baja Bound insurance experience
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 12:33 PM

I would be at my wits end too if my insurance matter was still unresolved 6 months after the accident!
Covid excuse for slow response…
La paz is so remote so parts take long time to get…
So many excuses, the OP just wanted someone to care enough to pay attention to his claim!

The OP was right to spray complaint on intwrnet. Sounds like only thing that got people to pick up phone, shuffle paperwotk…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 01:16 PM

The prior two posts complaining about Baja Bound suggest that those posters may not have read Baja Bound's detailed response to OP's initial report which details how Baja Bound and the insurer were both responsive to OP and how both have attempted to resolve OP's issues.

BTW,

Supply chain issues are real in 2021; and

Staffing issues due to the Covid-19 pandemic do exist and and are not uncommon.

None of us may like those facts, but those are nevertheless the facts.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 02:40 PM

What a wonderful response BajaGeoff!

As I expected from past experiences with Baja Bound, you guys rock at seeing your customers are well cared for.

Since WillB's one (and only) Nomad post (so far) was to vent, he may not be back or even know what a u2u is (hint: private message system, click the blue link at the top by your Nomad name).

Maybe and interesting read might be what would you say the difference is between Chubb and HDI as far as, why pick one over the other, if there are reasons more than just price?

Thank you, Geoff.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 02:54 PM

The online complaint worked! He got the attention he needed! Good news!

But he still doesn't have his money, so there is still one more chapter in this story....

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 03:13 PM

That's the funny thing mgoat666...we do have a long thread of emails and WhatsApp messages dating back to when the OP first contacted us in March. We've been helping and communicating the entire time and have the documentation to prove it. Whether you care to believe it or not, the supply chain issues are very real, as are staffing issues, and even prior to Covid we have always had issues with sourcing spare parts in La Paz, which is strange since it is a sizable city.

Just for a little perspective and clarification as well, the only unresolved matter here is the reimbursement check for the additional travel expenses to get back to the US. The OP submitted those receipts in July, so he has been waiting a little over a month to receive that payment. It's fair to say the process has been slower than it should be, but to call it "fraud" and "people getting screwed over by lying scammers" is in fact, totally false.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I would be at my wits end too if my insurance matter was still unresolved 6 months after the accident!
Covid excuse for slow response…
La paz is so remote so parts take long time to get…
So many excuses, the OP just wanted someone to care enough to pay attention to his claim!

The OP was right to spray complaint on intwrnet. Sounds like only thing that got people to pick up phone, shuffle paperwotk…

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 03:18 PM

It has nothing to do with shipping lencho. It has everything to do with the availability of the parts themselves. You can't ship a part that you don't have amigo!

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Why is this?

San Diego and major industrial hubs in other parts of Mexico, are a only few transport days away, a lot less by air freight...
:?:

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 03:26 PM

We have been proactive and helpful lencho. Like I said in my previous posts, we have all of the correspondence with WillB documented going back to when he contacted us at the end of March. We would be happy to share all of it here with permission from the client.

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

I don't know what BB's role is technically / legally in all of this, but I would have expected more proactive support from an agency whom I trusted to sell me quality insurance.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 03:37 PM

I would think if i ran into a deer (and i have, with no expectation that my insurer would make it right) and caused the kind of damage we see in the picture I would be very grateful an insurance company treated me the way Chubb and Baja Bound have. They supplied compensation above the amount they contracted for and the OP's choice to remain in La Paz while parts were a long time coming, then moving the vehicle to a second repair shop at that late date were his choice, not Chubb's or BB's. Evidently, the inadequate final inspection and repairs were done by the OP's choice of shops. They've got my business in the future for sure!

[Edited on 8-31-2021 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 04:23 PM
Shortage of parts due to Covid

Products are hard to come by all over, due to Covid. We are trying to put a new roof on a house using GAF asphalt shingles. GAF is one of the biggest supplier of roof-shingles in the world. They tell us they can't possibly provide their advertised shingles we want until NEXT YEAR due to lack of product being produced due to COVID crippling the supply-line personnel at the production plants. Times are tough!!!

[Edited on 8-30-2021 by Barry A.]
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 04:31 PM

I wish I had an answer for you lencho and I agree that a city that size should have decent resources available. It just seems like every time a client of ours is needing parts in La Paz they are either hard to track down or need to be sourced outside of Mexico and shipped, which obviously causes delays to the repair process.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 05:11 PM
I got lucky in La Paz once!

I needed a radiator for my old style Kia Sportage, which had not been manufactured since 2002, and was never sold or serviced in Baja!

I was staying at Campestre Maranatha at the time, and the owner (Jose) did a phone search of part suppliers and mechanic shops, and found one that had been ordered for a customer years earlier, but never installed.

The guy was so happy to get rid of it, I got it installed for less than I could buy one in the US!

Sorry for the mini hijack!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
WillB

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 07:10 AM

My response to Geoff:

"We would be happy to share all of these emails and messages to offer full transparency - with permission from WillB of course!" -Geoff

You can post anything you want. I recommend starting with my July 9th email detailing my list of expenses with receipts to which neither Baja Bound nor Chubb responded. Next, I would suggest my August 17th email warning both companies that "Unless I have some sort of reply within 7 days, I will resort to other means against both companies."

"they provided more rental vehicle coverage as well as more reimbursement for hotel expenses than what is normally covered by the policy." -Geoff

They said they would and then radio silence. Thus, this statement is currently incorrect. And, when you induce someone to incur expenses in reasonable reliance on repayment, that is fraud.

"The mechanic took much longer to fix the vehicle than anticipated." -Geoff

The Chubb policy itself says repair in thirty days, subject to exceptional conditions. It is unclear whether my repair was even authorized within this time period. And, it a basic radiator for a Ford van. I could have biked to California, got the parts, and biked back in the three months this repair took.

"It is simply taking longer to get processed, and we are pushing Chubb to get a check issued ASAP." -Geoff

It has now been 53 days, and I have not even heard from Chubb that my expenses have been received. This indirectly supports the same delay in authorizing the repairs.

"As an example, Yara spent almost five hours helping you with this claim on a Saturday afternoon when our office was closed for the weekend." -Geoff

This was May 22nd, the day we showed up to discover my van at the mechanic's personal house. Also the day we gave him two hours to complete the repair with the parts that were sitting at his shop. Then, he initially refused to release the van until I paid the deductible in cash. I'm pretty sure my day was more inconvenienced than the company I assumed would solve this problem before it came to essentially taking the van from the repair shop...

"We have been in steady and consistent communication with you as well." -Geoff

Feel free to publish your last email from Monday May 24th, which undermines the steady and consistent communication claim.

Please update if you have more information. Until then, it's not libel if it is based on facts.

Will

WillB

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 07:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am curious how the the repair facility was selected. Did the insurance company have a list of approved shops, or was he selected by the tow truck driver, or you?

I did not select the mechanic. It seemed like the Chubb agents knew this mechanic and used him before. This is one of the reasons I wondering if other people have experienced this problem with these companies and this mechanic. If so, it is inexcusable for Baja Bound to offer Chubb policies to customers.
WillB

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 07:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
WillB, this is your first post on Baja Nomad... Generally, this is not the typical way to introduce yourself to the group by slamming the site's primary sponsor.

Good point, David. For background, I've been travelling to Baja for about 10 years now for surfing and kitesurfing. Last year, we decided to drive to La Ventana (small kiting town past La Paz), and I researched what insurance to buy. I came across BajaNomad, which has tons of great information. While I did not take the time to register and post, I read a ton of great information that helped with planning the trip and completing the trip. So, thank you to everyone that does post here for that help! This was also the reason I chose BajaBound because they sponsored this site. When they blew me off, even my warning that I would take other actions against them if they didn't at least reply to my email, I thought this was probably the best place to start.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 07:32 AM

Are you saying you have a Ford van what year. You waited 3 months for a radiator?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WillB  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
WillB, this is your first post on Baja Nomad... Generally, this is not the typical way to introduce yourself to the group by slamming the site's primary sponsor.

Good point, David. For background, I've been travelling to Baja for about 10 years now for surfing and kitesurfing. Last year, we decided to drive to La Ventana (small kiting town past La Paz), and I researched what insurance to buy. I came across BajaNomad, which has tons of great information. While I did not take the time to register and post, I read a ton of great information that helped with planning the trip and completing the trip. So, thank you to everyone that does post here for that help! This was also the reason I chose BajaBound because they sponsored this site. When they blew me off, even my warning that I would take other actions against them if they didn't at least reply to my email, I thought this was probably the best place to start.

Thanks for coming back with replies to us.
Did you figure out how the u2u message works?
If Chubb did their job then you wouldn't have a beef with Baja Bound, I think?
Covid has made the world a tough place to get things done the way we are used to. Travel to Mexico is still for essential purposes (officially)... So, you kind have to expect things not to be 100%. Sucks the deer chose your van to run into!
Now, let's see what it takes to make you a happy camper!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 08:43 AM

David good amigo the company that took your money. Is responsible for all others involved. No if ands or buts the only issue . Did Baja bound take care of there customer. In a timely matter I had to deal with this for over 45 years in bussines. I did state Baja Bound is in good standing. Only question in is was this case taken care of? If yes great if not make it right to the customer.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 09:14 AM

Well, Geoff has responded in good faith and when he gets to work today, I expect he will again.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 12:24 PM

That is great 👍 David make all happy that is what it is about.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 04:57 PM

Hey Nomads...

Working on our response to this for WillB. Lots of emails and correspondence to go through! I'll keep you posted...

Thanks!

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.