BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Convoy
PaulVander

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 03:40 PM
Baja Convoy

Anyone interested in doing a Baja Convoy in September?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 04:22 PM
Welcome to the forum!

My parents used to enjoy caravanning with other RV owners, and a lot of their trips were in Baja. It was a much more common way to tour Baja back in the late 70s and 80s, but a lot of the places they used to stay are no longer around.

Are your plans for an RV caravan, or smaller vehicles car camping, or a hotel to hotel type tour? Do you have any destination points in mind, or will this be a trip of discovery?

I almost always travel alone with a dog and probably wouldn't join an extended group trip, but if I knew a group of Nomads was camped near where I was, it would be fun to visit.

[Edited on 8-29-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 06:29 PM

How far south? When in September?
PaulVander

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 08:30 PM

I will be car camping in my all-wheel drive SUV, with dog. Starting on Pacific side with goal of La Paz or Cabo. All depends on weather and where the winds blow me. No rush, have weeks, months. Have been to many of the major places. Now want to get deeper with my automoble and have the time. (Figure it's safer with a group and my spanish is lacking.) Want to find off the beaten path beaches, dive with whales, kayak, dirt bike, boating, that kind of stuff. Youtube the adventure. No specific plans layed out yet. Just want to see who else will be out there exploring also, and go from there. Wide open to suggestions...
Who's game? Keep my cell number: 760-604-0637. May retire there someday soon so want to get to know it better.
Cheers,
Paul
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 08:49 PM

If the heat and humidity don't bother you and you miss any hurricanes or chubasco activity, it will be great! See my 2016 Sept. group tour photos and video for some ideas.
Use my website to help with planning: www.vivabaja.com

See the September 2016 photos: http://www.vivabaja.com/916/
See the short, fun video of our trip:

[Edited on 8-30-2021 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2021 at 10:16 PM

Paul, be sure to visit La Bocana and Bahia Asuncion, two great places to retire to if you like small village life and cool weather year round (when there is no hurricane further south) and really friendly people.

La Bocana is known for fishing, lobster, great views of the Pacific, amazingly friendly people who truly enjoy meeting and hanging out with foreigners.

We happen to have 2 houses for sale, and various lots. I know you are not quite ready but it will give you an idea of what is out there.

I can send you a U2U (private message) with any other info you might need, We have lived in La Bocana 100% since 2006.

Here is a view from the front porch of one of the houses we are selling:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
PaulVander

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 06:35 PM

On my way end of sept. Can stay around sept 28th if not sooner. I'll send you an email. Thanks!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 04:52 PM

Car camping in an all wheel drive SUV, with a dog...sure sounds like me! There are some things I intended to get done on my property before another Baja trip, but it is so hot and smoky here in northern CA that I am considering playing hooky for a month or so.

Travelling together would depend a whole lot on how our dogs got along with each other. My girl is a large, long legged mixed breed that is great with all people, and most dogs, but that is not guaranteed!

Tell me about your BFF....large, small, dominant, mellow?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 06:17 PM

September?? Lots of weather...high chance of rain/storms and Hot sun! You will need to be prepared!! If you get South near Pescadero give me a Shout Out! Thomas
PaulVander

[*] posted on 9-1-2021 at 11:08 AM

I'm going to take everyones advice and delay until October (my MFF is already in affect and paid for, and I'm told it expires if I don't cross within 30 days).

I'll stay on the Pacific side as much as possible to avoid the heat. My little 14 year old Maltese will appreciate that as well.

Will contact ya all later this month. Stay in touch and keep the advice coming. For example, best times/places for whale watching/diving.

Cheers,
Paul
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-1-2021 at 11:26 AM

FMM, if you bought it online (not recommended), you need to specify a day and a crossing location... and still need to stop at the border INM desk to activate it.

Most of us just get it when we begin our Mexican trip and it is activated for up to 180 days. Some get it the day before, if we want to avoid a parking issue on trip day. It is good for those trips and any others as long as you exit Mexico before it expires.

Your passport must also not expire before you leave Mexico. The passport is required to get the FMM.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-1-2021 at 11:40 AM

I contacted Paul if he does not like the heat down south. Visit me i will show him around many places here .
GoingSouth

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 11:10 AM
October trip

I plan to cross at Calexico on Oct 2 or 3 and be in San Jose del Cabo by Oct 10 with Sea of Cortes beach stops along the way. Looking for others interested in a caravan.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 12:19 PM

caravans make you a target.
more stuff for the thieves to take.
Travel alone
the more stuff you attach to your truck - the more chrome you have - the more likely you'll be a target
stay under the radar
don't wash you truck
enjoy

Harald Pietschmann
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2021 at 08:19 AM

Like he said keep the convoy to about 2 rigs max.
Don't be a target.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 08:27 AM

I can't wait for the next time I need to pass 30 RVs piloted by terrified drivers traveling at 40mph.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.