Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mexico welcomes 3rd Afgan group
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
like when the Jews fled Germany - Mexico took refugees.
The US did not
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ss-st-louis-jewi...

Harald- I am sure it is not your intent to insinuate the USA did not do their part in helping the Jews in Germany. I am sure you are aware of the countless American lives lost in the effort to stop the Germans from the atrocities committed against the Jews. I am glad to learn Mexico assisted with relocating some of the Jews. I hope you can keep in context what happened at that time in history.

America fought Hitler.
The intent was not to free Jews.
It was a by product (good for PR though)

https://time.com/5889460/american-history-war-on-immigrants/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/us-government-turned-...

Abc- You are better off sticking to your knowledge of off roading and remote trails in Baja.

Your grasp of history is very weak. American soldiers paid a large price for the liberation of the Jews in Germany. I think most Americans agreed then and agree now that it was well worth it. My grandfather and his brothers fought the N-zi’s (Germany) and were willing to die to stop the dispicable things being done in your homeland even though they too had relatives in Germany at the time. They were 2nd generation American immigrants from Germany and saw what was at stake.

The whole free world should forever be grateful for their sacrifices. I sure am.

Americans are well known for their charitable nature. I believe you have experienced that first hand. The Afghans have been betrayed by horribly indefensible policy by U.S. President Joe Biden. It is a very sad situation. But their only hope of a better future will be at the hand of goodwill. Be it Mexican, American or other.

Seems you are in a position to understand that reality.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 03:03 PM

My relatives as well fought in the WWII and I will also be eternally grateful, but they did not realize just how bad it was in Europe til they made it over there. Their primary reason was to defend our ally GB. This time, we all saw it on TV and it has generated a response we can be very thankful for. Every individual out there has to answer for how we respond at this time in this place, as we can't claim ignorance.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 05:30 PM

pretty sad when the US would not even help its own journalists

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/25/business/media/new-york-t...

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 05:36 PM

yeah - history

the US attacked by Japan
the US declared war on Japan, not on Germany
the US had no intent to help the other countries invaded by Germany
the US had no intent to help free the Jews
as stated before, the US would not even take Jewish refugees

https://historycooperative.org/when-did-the-us-enter-ww2/

Harald Pietschmann
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

We'd be happy to welcome a couple here.

And happy you will be. Canada announced that we'll take 20,000 Afghan refugees. When being raped is inevitable - relax and enjoy it, eh?...
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 06:08 PM

The US did not

Harald- I am sure it is not your intent to insinuate the USA did not do their part in helping the Jews in Germany. I am sure you are aware of the countless American lives lost in the effort to stop the Germans from the atrocities committed against the Jews. I am glad to learn Mexico assisted with relocating some of the Jews. I hope you can keep in context what happened at that time in history.

No insinuating.
But repeating that the US did little to nothing to help the Jews in Europe during N-zi regime.
The US did little to nothing to help Jewish refugees.
The US turned refugees away - back to certain death (SS St Luis)
Antisemitism was strong in the 1930's in the US.
Americans did not want more of "those people"

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-grossman-holocau...

Harald Pietschmann
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 06:37 PM

Harold,

My Cousin is buried with Patton in Luxembourg! He volunteered after Pearl Harbor! I grew up with marines who went through the Pacific with the 1st Marine Division! The US might have done better, but absolutely no one did do better! Certainly not the Europeans not then and not now! The reason the US population had little appetite for war in Europe before Germany declared war was the very bad taste WW1 left! As you must know!

Europe was and still is its own worst enemy!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 07:40 PM

The US did not

No insinuating.
But repeating that the US did little to nothing to help the Jews in Europe during N-zi regime.
The US did little to nothing to help Jewish refugees.
The US turned refugees away - back to certain death (SS St Luis)
Antisemitism was strong in the 1930's in the US.
Americans did not want more of "those people"

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-grossman-holocau...

Abc- Interesting that as a proud German you are here criticizing what the USA did to help the Jews.
The Germans (Your Team) was marching them into the gas chambers by the millions.

Is this another fault of the “bad” Americans? You’re a complete joke if you dont want YOUR people to bear the blame for what happened to the Jews. Maybe you remember that is the reason your home country was neutered and not allowed to have a military presence to repeat their misdeeds.

Back to Afghanistan-
It is obvious to see that the Afghans will be slaughtered by their own countrymen. I am saddened that our current American president took the measures he did to result in such bloodshed.
The world sure can be ugly outside of our Western bubble.

I am not sure what Mexico is supposed to do considering the staggering number of people already suffering in Mexico. The sad truth is that no society can accept an unlimited supply of people into their country without suffering accordingly.

BajaBlanca has one of the only comments here that is constructive to the topic.

I know I wont be personally accepting any refugees into my home. More power to those that do.

Abc- Will you be welcoming in a family to your home?
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

We'd be happy to welcome a couple here.

And happy you will be. Canada announced that we'll take 20,000 Afghan refugees. When being raped is inevitable - relax and enjoy it, eh?...

Great, we need a whole lot more immigrants to keep the economy rolling, but last time we offered to take a bunch of refugees they turned us down as they had their eyes set on Sweden and Germany. The big problem will be getting them to want to come here I'm afraid.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 08:02 PM

I'm wondering...why are people so reluctant to allow refugees into their homes? Bad experiences from the past? I haven't met any refugees yet that weren't headed to be excellent contributing members of society.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 08:05 PM

The ones I know are now artists, small business owners and builders. Once they hit Canada they struck out in ways they couldn't have when they were still locked in their source societies and appreciated the advantages they had here. I find them excellent examples for my kids and grandkids.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 09:14 PM

Abc- Will you be welcoming in a family to your home?

decided to live the simple life 20 years ago
my Casita is only 600 sq ft
no room to spare or to share

and yes, with a larger house, I would help refugees

Harald Pietschmann
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 09:17 PM

4X4abc: Thanks for those posts. Perhaps we can learn from history and never let that happen again. In recent years we have had waves of immigrants who were fleeing other countries and our makeup has only benefited by it. Czechs, Polish, Vietnamese, Punjabi, Chinese are just a few of our more recent immigrant friends. Now it is Middle Eastern and I think we can only be enhanced by it.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2021 at 10:14 PM

The apple does not fall far from the tree: My Air Force son in Germany volunteered all day Friday at Ramstad air force base!

He said they put up tents all day long, so when you watch the base footage on TV, think of my kid!

I am so proud of him.

Know what else? He is responsible for incoming air force service people and the other day he told me " Got to go Mom, I have to take some food to one of my kids who is still in quarantine."

He calls them his kids! Hahahaha

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 09:52 AM

European type pragmatism is necessary when there is not guiding vision to adhere to.
Thus the reason we still have umpteen thousands of troops there 85 years later.

Es Todo Bueno
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 07:42 PM

the US has a long history of throwing allies under the bus
remember the Kurds?
remember Central America?

and then Karen asks "Why does everyone hate us?"

well, if you miss the cahnce to make friends ....
Ask anyone in Europe how they think about the US
you will not like the answers

I'll be the 1st "Karen" and American that remembers your pleas for help Harald, and your Go Fund me page, You seem to have long term, short term memory loss.
99% of the funds you recieved came from the U.S
Be it Expats, Baja Nomads or other sources from the U.S.
Go pee up a rope beggar:fire: You'll never get another dime frome me.

[Edited on 8-30-2021 by 4x4abc]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  
the US has a long history of throwing allies under the bus
remember the Kurds?
remember Central America?

and then Karen asks "Why does everyone hate us?"

well, if you miss the cahnce to make friends ....
Ask anyone in Europe how they think about the US
you will not like the answers

I'll be the 1st "Karen" and American that remembers your pleas for help Harald, and your Go Fund me page, You seem to have long term, short term memory loss.
99% of the funds you recieved came from the U.S
Be it Expats, Baja Nomads or other sources from the U.S.
Go pee up a rope beggar:fire: You'll never get another dime frome me.

Beemer Dan, you are not living peace-love-fish tacos life.
Be nice!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 11:53 PM

Harold,

I imagine that the younger Europeans don’t like America for the same reasons that they don’t like each other! The older ones don’t like America because the people they threw out had to return to rescue them from themselves twice in the last century! That said Europe still managed to kill over 100 million of its own in that same century! Destroying the place twice in 40 years is their major accomplishment!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2021 at 12:03 AM

that was not the topic
happy to discuss that in a separate thread

Harald Pietschmann
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2021 at 01:24 AM

that was not the topic
happy to discuss that in a separate thread

Which thread would you like Harald?

How Americans suck?
Why I hate Americans?
Why I moved to Baja because Germans suck?
Or why I moved to Baja because everyone sucks, and its the cheapest place I could find to live?
By all means fire up a new thread.

BTW, My Father landed on Utah beach, Marched all the way to your fatherland, Saw more than your mind can conjure up, Came home dealt with it.
He never said much to me about it, and I never really knew until I found his diaries and talked to Mom about it later.
b-tch all you want about Americans.
We gave you that right.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.