Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Buying Baja Registered Vehicles
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 08:47 AM
Buying Baja Registered Vehicles

Unable to drive and leave our vehicle in Baja, am wondering why so many people buy US or Canadian registered vehicles rather than buying one registered there. Is there a significant advantage to leaving a foreign plated vehicle there for personal use? Or is it simply the price differences?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 11:13 AM

depends largely on your immigration status
if you don't have permanent residency you can't register a car in Baja
and then there still the rumors that cars intended for the US market are better/safer than identical cars sold in Mexico
its on the Corona/mask/vaccine level

I used to import cars to the US
most Americans believe (note the word "believe") that a Mercedes intended for sale in the US is better/safer than the same Mercedes built for the European market
my first neighbors in LA also asked me whether my parents in Germany had a phone or TV
nuff said

Harald Pietschmann
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 11:22 AM

Maybe they were curious if your parents had a phone or TV in their Mercedes?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
depends largely on your immigration status
if you don't have permanent residency you can't register a car in Baja
and then there still the rumors that cars intended for the US market are better/safer than identical cars sold in Mexico
its on the Corona/mask/vaccine level

I used to import cars to the US
most Americans believe (note the word "believe") that a Mercedes intended for sale in the US is better/safer than the same Mercedes built for the European market
my first neighbors in LA also asked me whether my parents in Germany had a phone or TV
nuff said

Thanks, that answers my question. So we as visitors still will either have to rent or bring our own vehicle down at some future date.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 11:42 AM

have a "neighbor" buy/register one for you
Mexicans are trustworthy
saves you the double insurance (Mex/US)
makes it less likely that the police intimidates you into bribes

Harald Pietschmann
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 12:07 PM

have a "neighbor" buy/register one for you
Mexicans are trustworthy
saves you the double insurance (Mex/US)
makes it less likely that the police intimidates you into bribes

The bribe issue was one of my major reasons to look into this. Insurance doubling secondary. Maybe we can do a deal with a neighbor, may be workable. Reasons to get permanent residency keep building.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 12:21 PM

you cant drive a mexican plated car without a mexican drivers license
you need to be a resident to get that

... only a rental... those cars have different plates

only foreigners can drive a foreign plated car ( not mexican)

it cost around 2k to import a car and has limited yrs and manufacture
origins

if your car is low in value ... it doesn't make sense to import it
the problem is you need to insure it in the usa to keep the plates current $$$

the reason people dont buy the new cars in baja is the interest on a loan is 18 to 24 percent ,,, not 3.8 like the usa... and there is NO leasing available

its cash and carry

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 12:39 PM

Perhaps I named this thread wrong. It should have been"The issues surrounding permanent residency"

So...how difficult and costly is it to achieve permanent residency status? And then...if i get that taken care of, how difficult to get a Mexican driver's license?
As we intend to reside at our new place 2-6 months each year, retaining our Canadian residency and citizenship, we are trying to find the best way to move around there freely. Rental cars are exceptionally expensive.

[Edited on 8-31-2021 by JDCanuck]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 01:23 PM

Well, you can drive a Mexican plated car with a Canadian license, it's just illegal. Come on, take a chance, live dangerously!

Before you leave Canada go to the closest Mexican Consulate and apply to become a Mexican resident. You'll finish the process in Mexico at the Mexican immigration office closest to your house. You must start the process in your home country.

TONS of info on the Internet.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 01:40 PM

I have both Mex plated trucks and Us. Most used cars In mexico are salvage . You don't want those I carry both lic CA and Mex . I only drive my Mex plated truck in states because INS cheap . Also my USA plate trucks cheap to INS in Mex .
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Well, you can drive a Mexican plated car with a Canadian license, it's just illegal. Come on, take a chance, live dangerously!

Before you leave Canada go to the closest Mexican Consulate and apply to become a Mexican resident. You'll finish the process in Mexico at the Mexican immigration office closest to your house. You must start the process in your home country.

Well that's out then. No time to travel over to the Mexican Consulate before this trip down. Wish I had asked this question a couple weeks back. Looks like it's similar to applying for passport but with additional financial info provided which will also take some time to put together. So for now...tourists we remain.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 02:26 PM

where in Baja do you want to live?

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 02:31 PM

Mex driver license
go to office with your current driver license
bring health cert (go to any Simi store for that) and a blood test (for type)
better, go to driver license office and ask what's needed (things might have changed)
with papers in hand get Mex diver license (couple of bucks)
no tests needed
no Spanish needed

Harald Pietschmann
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 02:51 PM

You cannot get DL without resident card
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 03:09 PM

Yes, and I have just been told by the local consulate that to apply up here there is at least a 4 week wait to obtain an appointment after you do all the back and forth emails to submit the required info.
Interesting process. Next year perhaps, but I will ask my lawyer down there about this issue when we see him.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 03:14 PM

where in Baja do you want to live?

We are building a house out on the pacific west of you

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 03:19 PM

Maybe i can rent a burro for grocery trips, will take a bit longer but be far more scenic. Only 10 km there and back, should be able to do 2 km per hour so a five and a half hour trip. :):light:

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Well that's out then. No time to travel over to the Mexican Consulate before this trip down. Wish I had asked this question a couple weeks back. Looks like it's similar to applying for passport but with additional financial info provided which will also take some time to put together. So for now...tourists we remain.

have any pre 2020 FMM's? look into their amnesty program, all done here in mexico and no financial requirements!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
8-31-2021 at 03:48 PM
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 04:03 PM

I did see an option of applying to REMAIN in Mexico. Did this change in 2020?
And they took our old FMM's when we returned on the plane each time we flew back.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 04:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
I did see an option of applying to REMAIN in Mexico. Did this change in 2020?
And they took our old FMM's when we returned on the plane each time we flew back.

I don't know anymore than this, its been on a number of fb groups.....https://www.mexperience.com/mexico-offers-special-residency-procedure/
https://www.mexperience.com/mexico-offers-special-residency-...

[Edited on 8-31-2021 by Don Pisto]

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.