Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Buying Baja Registered Vehicles
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2021 at 06:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eastmeetswest  
If you buy a US plated car and you are Canadian, you need to do a work around to get a US address to register the US car in South Dakota. We used Jankovics in San Lucas. He set up a US partnership using his office address in the US and then we used that address for our SD registration. It worked, but I am sure there are other ways to do it.

Americas Mailbox handle SD registration for $50 or so, plus whatever the state will charge. They offer SD address for $200/year including mail forwarding but I understand that it doesn't have to be SD address. Canadians do need to some US address. I wonder if they can use any of those parcel-receiving outlets along the US border. Many of them only charge a small fee when you pick up something, no annual plans. They provide a normal physical address - Jane Dow, 123 Zero St, ZIP code, state.
eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 9-6-2021 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by eastmeetswest  
If you buy a US plated car and you are Canadian, you need to do a work around to get a US address to register the US car in South Dakota. We used Jankovics in San Lucas. He set up a US partnership using his office address in the US and then we used that address for our SD registration. It worked, but I am sure there are other ways to do it.

Americas Mailbox handle SD registration for $50 or so, plus whatever the state will charge. They offer SD address for $200/year including mail forwarding but I understand that it doesn't have to be SD address. Canadians do need to some US address. I wonder if they can use any of those parcel-receiving outlets along the US border. Many of them only charge a small fee when you pick up something, no annual plans. They provide a normal physical address - Jane Dow, 123 Zero St, ZIP code, state.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2021 at 09:45 AM

I haven`t read everaything in detail in this thread when I realized that at least 50% of info is wrong. Headline: Buying Baja registered vehicles.
Yes you can buy a Baja car without beeing a PR. In case you are pulled over by police, nobody is asking if or not you are a PR (English) or RP(Spanish) But the question is mainly: Buying a car for living in Baja or importing a one. Nonsense that ALL cars in baja are bad/scrap. It is like always: You get what you pay for. But for about 3000 US you will get a reliable car. Now: Calculate the value of your car. Add: Importation is about 2000US. -depends of the value of your vehicle-. Waiting at the border about 10 days until importation is done: $$$ (BOOOORING to stay where you don`t want to stay!) And the imporattion agency doesn`t like any private importation. They prefer it is done with a broker: $$. End up being more expensive than buying a reliable Baja registered car and having no trouble at all. For the money you have to spend incl the valaue of your vehicle, you can bay a car for more than 5000US here in Baja. And that will give you a really good car.
A DL not possible without being a resident??? 50% true and false. It depends on where you go. Not all DL ofices are asking for PR. And btw. as far as I know it is written nowhere and not a must to have the PR. In La Paz or Cabo i.e. getting a DL is far more complicated than in a small community where nobody is asking you for anything. Those small communities prefer taking your money over asking too much. It is neither illigal to have it - no matter how - nor will anybody ask you later how you got your DL. Summary: Flying to your destination, using your car which is at your destination is much cheaper than driving.
Downside: You will do that only if you have seen everything right and left along MX 1 or 5 and beyond. This is for travelers who want to enjoy their vacations at the place they live in Baja. Not for travelers who want to see all of Baja in one trip.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-6-2021 at 03:05 PM

Your half correct Yes possible to get Mex DL without PR. Except when paper work goes to main office 95% . Reject the DL you got you say BS to Salvage cars in Mexico sorry on that too. Very large % are just that. How would I know 45 years in that work. When we get a total in states . It gets a stamp can no longer be repaired and tagged . Also get marked EXPORT ONLY. HAHA yes direct to Mexico resold and Mex plates. Im happy with my one of each baja plate and South Dakota.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2021 at 05:27 PM

You can't get Mex plates without RT/RP. If you can't get plates, you don't need Mex DL either :).
Being Mexico, everything is possible but most likely they will refuse registration without RT/RP.

Not that I need any of this now - was lucky to leave my decrepit Canadian car in Baja before Covid. When I plan to go to another town (doesn't happen too often), I bring plates from Canada and then return them and get a refund for the time I stayed in Baja. This takes planning, sudden long trips are out of question. In the village nobody cares about plates, not much traffic. Not enough incentive to get RT/RP, - maybe later when this car dies. Even then, it could be cheaper to go SD route than RT/RP.

[Edited on 9-7-2021 by Alm]
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2021 at 08:00 PM

You can't get Mex plates without RT/RP. If you can't get plates, you don't need Mex DL either :).
Being Mexico, everything is possible but most likely they will refuse registration without RT/RP.

Not that I need any of this now - was lucky to leave my decrepit Canadian car in Baja before Covid. When I plan to go to another town (doesn't happen too often), I bring plates from Canada and then return them and get a refund for the time I stayed in Baja. This takes planning, sudden long trips are out of question. In the village nobody cares about plates, not much traffic. Not enough incentive to get RT/RP, - maybe later when this car dies. Even then, it could be cheaper to go SD route than RT/RP.

[Edited on 9-7-2021 by Alm]

Not correcct t.m.h.o. You buy a car in Baja, it got plates. No matter if or not you are an RP or whats-o-ever. You pay for the car - you drive off. DL in small towns: Go to the DL office. Take a blood test w/ you only to detremine your blood type. Make the vision test. Pay. Get the DL.
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 09:57 AM

Two years ago a couple of our Canadian friends that owned a Mexican plated car went to the DL office to renew their Mexican DL. They were told they now need a CURP number in order to get a DL, this was in CSL. At that time they didn't have their R/P, which they have now.

They sold that car and drove a car down from Toronto. The Baja is a "free zone" so they can legally drive a non-Mexican plated car with their R/P status...while in The Baja.

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by karenintx  
Two years ago a couple of our Canadian friends that owned a Mexican plated car went to the DL office to renew their Mexican DL. They were told they now need a CURP number in order to get a DL, this was in CSL. At that time they didn't have their R/P, which they have now.

They sold that car and drove a car down from Toronto. The Baja is a "free zone" so they can legally drive a non-Mexican plated car with their R/P status...while in The Baja.

only half correct. You forgot to mention that one can drive their foreign plated car "if one does not own property in Mexico" and is no RP !

[Edited on 9-7-2021 by JC43]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

only half correct. You forgot to mention that one can drive their foreign plated car "if one does not own property in Mexico" and is no RP !

[Edited on 9-7-2021 by JC43]

Do you have a link to a reputable website, perhaps a Mexican government website, that spells that out. I don't think that's true but I'm not sure.

Why couldn't an American that owns property, or rents it for that matter, in California drive a car with California plates regardless of what type of Mexican visa s/he has?

Many people own property in both countries and live where they want when they want.

[Edited on 9-7-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
You buy a car in Baja, it got plates. No matter if or not you are an RP or whats-o-ever. You pay for the car - you drive off.

The point is that you can't register a Baja-bought "importado" car in your name without RT/RP.

If Baja-bought car has current Mex plates - not all of them do, btw - when tags expire you will get stuck with a car that you can't drive, legally.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 08:04 PM

... drove a car down from Toronto. The Baja is a "free zone" so they can legally drive a non-Mexican plated car with their R/P status...while in The Baja.

I'm not sure about the "legally" part. Gringos are telling each other that in Baja you may keep foreign plates after you've become an RP, but it appears to be more a lack of enforcement (in Baja) than something legal.

[Edited on 9-8-2021 by Alm]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 08:22 PM

... drove a car down from Toronto. The Baja is a "free zone" so they can legally drive a non-Mexican plated car with their R/P status...while in The Baja.

I'm not sure about the "legally" part. Gringos are telling each other that in Baja you may keep foreign plates after you've become an RP, but it appears to be more a lack of enforcement (in Baja) than something legal.

[Edited on 9-8-2021 by Alm]

well rice and beans I don't how it is in your neighborhood but where I live police don't give a ratsazz about your INM status or what your license plate says they only want to see a DL.....and thats obviously negotiable, where's your neighborhood?
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 07:27 AM

Yes on that besides that if traffic stop only give cop . The money to give to police station for you . Some DMVs will let you renew your baja plates. With only old reg. card and pay others want Mex lic. As far as blood test to get first time DL. What a joke that is I give them my red cross card . With blood type they forgot to print it on my DL;)
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 06:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

well rice and beans I don't how it is in your neighborhood but where I live police don't give a ratsazz about your INM status or what your license plate says they only want to see a DL.....and thats obviously negotiable, where's your neighborhood?

The question/comment was about legality. In my neighbourhood people drive cars without plates as I wrote a few posts earlier.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.