Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pulque
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2021 at 03:24 PM
Pulque

today at the Rosarito fairgrounds there's a Mezcal, Pulque and barbacoa festival. searching Pulque here wondering if it was just me that wasn't fond of it i came across this nugget from our old friend Osprey, thought I'd share.
Balché, Maya Beer
Up the Hatch?

The steering was smooth, the little Corolla was hugging the curves nicely so the Hensleys decided to buzz right through Colima, stay the night in Lazaro Card##as and have an easy two or three hour drive the next morning along the scenic coast to Acapulco. The plan worked perfectly and they found a quaint and charming small hotel in Acapulco high on a hill with a wonderful view of the famous harbor.

After a relaxing afternoon by the pool, a little siesta, they found a local restaurant, La Paloma, just two blocks down the hill. The big bamboo bar looked inviting so they sat there for a drink before dinner. There was a faint whiff of mesquite smoke drifting in from the cooking area that put the nudge on their saliva glands.

Two bartenders were busy cutting limes and mangos, getting ready for the dinner crowd. The two looked cool and comfortable in their uniforms – both were short, swarthy with dark hair and mustaches.

“Buenes Tardes, what may I get for you?”

“Everybody’s speaking English now. That’s great.” Said Harold.

“I better speak English. I’m from Seattle. Where are you folks from?”

“Tahoe, we’re vacationing. We just drove in today, our first trip to Acapulco.”

“Well, it’s a great city. I know you’ll enjoy it. Our specialty is Mango Daiquiris.”

Harold and Diane both ordered one. As the bartender set the drinks before them Harold said “We broke down in a little town north of here and a nice gringo bartender there told us all about pulque, all about the fermenting, the whole process.”

“Did he tell you about the Maya beer, Balché?”

“No, we just drove down the west coast, from Arizona. What is Balché?”

“The Maya invented it. It was a sacred drink from a sacred tree. They took the bark from the Balché tree, hollowed out a fallen log, put the bark in the depression in the log with some water and honey, let it ferment naturally. Just sweet, Maya beer.

I will admit I heard from good authority that in that raw state it was rough on the stomach so a lot of it was taken anally – they used a smooth, thin hollowed out bone from some kind of bird. If you’re going home by way of Mexico City you can see scores of glyphs at the museum showing the bone, the process. There might have been lots of mind-altering plants the Maya learned about, took in this way for sacred and not so sacred rituals. The stomach and the liver are set up to counter or filter out some things we ingest like drugs, alcohol, alkaloids, so if you wanted the quick effects of things that otherwise might adversely affect your digestive system, the enema was always the way to go – no I.V. drips or hypo needles back then.

Western U.S. plains Indians wanted the hallucinogens in peyote but couldn’t swallow it without getting sick before the kick. Once, in my wilder times, I did 20 days in the Men’s Correctional Facility near Las Vegas. A few of the inmate ground keepers cut and stashed some loco weed, datura, didn’t know how to take it in, ate it. Two died, five others almost died.

Anyway, if you get over to Quitana Roo ask about the drink from the Balché tree, try some Balché, ice cold, in a glass. They refine it now, for the tourists. Easier on the tummy. Tastes a little like Dr. Pepper to me.”

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2021 at 03:50 PM

I think some of our Nomads need a high colonic of Ivermectin.

Except their heads are in the way.

Loco weed is poisonous, not surprised it didn't end well. We can only hope that's the next drug of choice for the "willfully" ignorant among us.

John

[Edited on 9-4-2021 by John Harper]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2021 at 05:26 PM

The Aztecs drank pulque (fermented cactus juice). The drink has been around for a long time. I drank way too much of the stuff at a rustic small-town bar in Chihuahua, maybe Coahuila, walking distance from the Rio Grande, which I crossed from Texas in a small boat pushed by a ferryman using a pole. I don't remember going back, but I woke up in Texas in my camper.

Back in the open border (at least in that area) days.

I was in Big Bend National Park working my way east to Florida.

[Edited on 9-5-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2021 at 06:36 PM

Thanks for that. I've always thought agave was a cactus.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 9-5-2021 at 07:39 AM

O'l Osprey was quite the writer....

I was in Oaxaca, just a month ago and tried Pulque for the first time.
Was expecting not to like it as I've heard that it is a "slimy" drink.
Kinda like whats inside okra or nopales.
Well, it was outstanding, not that slimy at all.
I only tried the original plain type.
It also sometimes comes flavored with fruits.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.