BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Newbie's planning road trip, advice requested...
akmccowen

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 05:05 PM
Newbie's planning road trip, advice requested...

Hola amigos,

My husband and I are newbie's on here and are currently planning our first road trip down to newly acquired property in East Cape in December. We will be traveling with a 24' travel trailer and two large dogs. While we are eager to explore all of Baja, this first trip we are limited on time and planning on taking 4 days down and could use some advice. This forum has been fantastic for our research and we appreciate any insight you can provide...

1. We've received recommendations that I-5 will be easier with a travel trailer and that Mexicali East crossing is easier with a trailer as well. For purposes of easily navigating, is the Immigration office on the left or right? Do we cross the border then park to go get FMM stamped? Or do you leave rig in lane and go into office? Any tips?

2. We've been told we can only have one spare tire, is that correct? I'm assuming it's one spare for our truck and one spare for our trailer.

3. Are there any issues with bringing food/alcohol into Mexico? Curious how to stock our trailer fridge to limit any hassles.

4. Does the US border need a negative covid test before driving back across or is that only for airlines?

5. So far our plan is to head out from home in Sacramento and stop at El Centro/Calexico > Calexico to Guerrero Negro > Guerrero Negro to Loreto . Loreto to East Cape. Assuming we can cross the border at 6am, is Calexico to Guerrero Negro feasible in daylight in December pulling a trailer or are we pushing it? Better ideas for stops?

6. Any favorite RV parks in Guerrero Negro and Loreto?

7. Would you recommend extra gas cans or are the Pemex stations prevalent enough?

8. Any tips on the military inspections? I'm assuming just vacate the vehicle with the dogs? We'll be traveling with a speargun for fishing, would that be an issue? Can we pack a machete or is that not permitted?

9. We'll have to take care of some work while travelling down. Any insight on AT&T cell phone coverage?

So excited to make this first of many trips down and thank you for any insight!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 05:58 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Lots of questions, most I will leave to others, since I have never pulled anything larger than a 14 foot boat down there. I think that your schedule idspossible, but with short winter days, it would be a bit of a push!

I use ATT, which will roam on Telcel most of your trip, except around La Paz where it uses ATT MX. There are dead zones where it will not work, but if you are around towns, it should be ok.

I don't know about an extra spare, but would be surprised if it is a problem. You probably won't need an extra gas can, but if you decide to take it, cross into Mexico with it empty, and fill it in Mexicali.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 06:06 PM

I travel with a large dog, and I have a leash ready in case I am asked to remove her from the vehicle, but more often than not, they just skip searching my vehicle. Let them ask for anything they want, there is nothing to gain by volunteering any information or co-operation.

Smile and be pleasant, but watch what, and where they are searching. I personally have never had a problem at any inspection stations.

Edit; Will the travel trailer be making a round trip, or will you be able to explore other roads on the way back north?

There was not a requirement for a covid test returning by road last winter, and I have not heard of any new requirements for one.

[Edited on 9-8-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
westafricancaptain
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 06:12 PM

Att Coverage

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 06:27 PM

Be happy to get to Gonzaga Bay and enjoy the beauty. It is 100 miles south of San Felipe/ 225 miles south of the border (Calexico/ Mexicali).

Towing or RVs need to use an average speed of 45 mph to calculate real driving times. Never push it to get somewhere before dark, in a strange land!!!!

Arrive plenty early to relax, drink, eat, enjoy the 'Baja Feeling'!

Big parking area to enjoy the view of the Enchanted Islands, at Km. 99 (south from San Felipe).

Gonzaga Bay is at Km. 147...

View looking north, next to the gas station is the road to Alfonsina's Resort (hotel, restaurant), and the next driveway south is to Rancho Grande (camping). There are more places... but this is why you don't hurry in Baja!

Best to examine photos of the sites along the way to select what you want to see... You should double the days going south to 8 (at least).

Get to know the fantastic peninsula you chose the very end of to locate... The rest of Baja is before Los Cabos!

Oh... do not drive past San Ignacio without taking the 2 mile road into the town plaza!!

The 11th California mission, founded in 1728, church built in the 1760s to 1780s. Faces the town plaza!

Trip Reports and photos to help to plan:
http://www.vivabaja.com/Tacoma_Travels/

More Baja (for future trips): http://www.vivabaja.com/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 06:51 AM

Well, I can answer one of your questions.
At the Mexicali East crossing you'll be taking Mex 5, not I-5.
The immigration building is on the right.

Rather than go into the parking lot, involving moving traffic cones and taking a very sharp right turn, pull immediately to the right in the shaded secondary inspection area.
Having a trailer, they'll probably wave you in there anyway.

You should be able to park there and walk to the right to immigration. I do this all the time now.

They may actually inspect you, mostly looking for new items to tax, which involves paying duties at the bank office, close by on your right.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 08:37 AM

Have fun, do not drive after dusk, try not to pay the cops that sometimes stop folks for the heck of it, trying to get money...play dumb and do not pay!

Watch the inspection guys along the way...keep an eye on them at all times. Driver and passenger - heads up!

Take purse wallet money docs with you as you exit the vehicle.

Must gas up in EL ROSARIO. There are no gas stations for miles after that.

Welcome to your new home!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 08:47 AM

El Rosario is on Highway 1, but since you chose Hwy. 5, top off at San Felipe. The gas station at Gonzaga Bay is not 100% guaranteed to be open, but if it is, top off there, too. Now, you can easily make it to Villa Jesus Maria, Guerrero Negro, or Vizcaino (the next three gas staion locations south of Gonzaga Bay.

Map is from 2004, since then, Hwy. 5 was paved all the way to Laguna Chapala. Villa Jesus Maria gas station is located straight up from the G in Guerrero Negro on this map (see a short paved side road going west from Hwy. 1 for the spot).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 08:51 AM

I would not let the military check point guys enter the trailer w/o someone in there to watch them. Also watch them when they inspect your truck. Never leave purses or electronics in view.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 08:56 AM

Assume you will get a flat tire. Make sure you have all the tools needed to put on the spare and a good base to put under the jack if/when you pull off the road into the dirt. I also carry a 3-foot piece of pipe that fits over the lug wrench handle to use as a cheater bar. Lots of people carry a 12-volt air compressor to fill soft tires.

Baja is tough on tires.

[Edited on 9-8-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 09:29 AM

A tire plug kit (and the air compressor) are must haves so you don't always need to remove a flat tire and put on the spare. Just fix the tire on the spot.

Tire repair shops are 'everywhere' in Baja, should you need to get a patch job.

TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 09:55 AM

I'm new to this forum (loving it), but have been visiting and loving Baja for decades. I drove the entire length in February, my first drive down since the 90s, and was shocked by how good the highway was (mostly) and how good the LTE cell coverage was (Verizon) most of the way.

We took our camper trailer and dog over the border at TJ in March, just as far as the Guadalupe valley. Was pulled into secondary for a very brief inpspection on the way in. We were loaded for a month out (only 5 days south of the border, the rest in AZ and UT) so had a lot of food and booze. No issues at all.

The only friction was on the return. US border agents really didn't like our food (especially eggs, from our own chickens at home). We still had nearly all of it because, of couse, we didn't eat US food while in Baja. They nearly made us dump it all, but my wife pleaded with them to let us keep it as we were just trying to be COVID safe by being self sufficient and they let us slide.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 03:19 PM

Yes, eggs, un-cooked chicken, any kind of pork product (along with a few fruits and vegetable are forbidden. Doesn't matter if they are from the U.S. because once in Mexico, they are Mexican. The fear of economic disaster from some Latin American disease attacking U.S. produce is enough.

Many years ago at Tecate, my ice chest was inspected and it had an unopened package of Oscar Meyer deli slices... Confiscated with a big warning from the U.S. official. He then gave me the list of approved/ forbidden items crossing north from Mexico. I hope he had some good sandwiches that night. LOL :lol:

Here is a more recent list I picked up but it is about the same as the one from 20 years ago:

List for Border.jpg - 327kB

Here is a thread about what can come over the border and it has the older, easier to use list: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71681

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 08:58 PM

Four days down to the East Cape is pushing it. HWY 5 is much faster than Hwy 1. To San Filipe it's more like driving across the Salt Flats in Utah. The new road is wide with good shoulders. Hwy 1 is narrow, and if your driving a wide trailer you just about fill up the lane. It is also slow and winding up over the mountains.

I would say the border to Gonzaga Bay, Gonzaga Bay to San Ignacio or Loreto (there is a very steep slow curving road before you get to Santa Rosalia). It's nice to camp on the beaches south of Mulege, or in town at Loreto, then on to Lapaz (Maranatha Campground is good). Lapaz to La Ribira if that's where your going.

Don't be in a hurry, you will find that you just can't travel as fast down there as in the US. If you wreck that trailer down there you might sudenly lose your taste for traveling in Mexico. I pulled a 6'8" wide Casita several times and had lots of close calls with trucks and RV's on Hwy 1.

We give away all of our fruits, vegies, and dairy before we get to the border going north. The locals appreciate that.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 10:50 PM

Among other cautions that will be mentioned to be aware of, I'll mention one. Approx 200 KM (125 miles) south of the state line (Baja North/Baja South) there's a very steep hill, starting at about mile marker 17 or 18 KM. Repeat... it is very steep. You're towing a trailer, so gear down and save your brakes from overheating and failing. From a distance, you'll see a microwave tower that marks the top of the hill. Just past the bottom of the hill is the mining town of Santa Rosalía.

[Edited on 9-9-2021 by KasloKid]
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 06:27 AM

with a 6am start you will be fine to GN, all daylight... just keep your stops to a minimum. the 5 is wide compared to hwy 1. Be prepared for this and be on your toes with oncoming traffic. dont be worried about the semi trucks .... they look intimidating but those guys are good about staying in their lane, just stay in yours.

I often travel with 2 spares for my boat trailer... As long as they are mounted on rims never been a problem.

Are you leaving the trailer down there? If not I would suggest leave it home for your first trip down. Lots of pet friendly places to stay... but I understand if east cape is an extended stay. Just undestand what happens when an 18 wheeler (coming at you) goes by at 65mph 3-4 feet away ..... the turbulence really whips on your pull rig .. Again... not trying to scare you... a lot of us do it... dont be intimidated ... "get up on the wheel" and stay in your lane.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 06:35 AM

The 5 joins the 1 at Chapala... So, you don't get to escape all of the narrow Mexico #1!

Over the past dozen years, they have been widening 10-20 km. sections of the 1... But, most of it still is the original 1973, 19 ft. wide highway, with no shoulders and often on an elevated levee.

DSCF0034 copy.jpg - 26kB

akmccowen

[*] posted on 9-10-2021 at 07:52 AM

Baja Fam.... Huge thanks for all of your input. Your tips and advice is so helpful. It makes us feel closer to being prepared. The resounding calls to not hurry and see where the road takes us is counter to our daily hustle but exactly why we're drawn to the Baja pace!

For each of you that posted, we are so grateful that you took your time. We look forward to being able to assist here on the forum when we've gained some experience. We'll be anxious to post our trip, too!

Salud!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2021 at 09:27 AM

Fantastic...
Have a fun time...
Be prepared, but understand things change so just go with the flow... Learn 'Mexican Time'!

Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2021 at 10:12 PM

I’ve driven down and back a couple of times in the last few years towing the same size travel trailer. I had two mounted and two unmounted spare tires for the trailer and was told by Mexican customs that I was only allowed one spare for the trailer and one for the truck. If you cross the border early Guerrero Negro should be an easy first stop, highway 5 is a gentle introduction to Baja roads . As has been said when you join highway 1 the narrowness of the road is a bit of a contrast from the 5 but I found the truck drivers to be great at sharing the road . The road gets wider as you head south and highway 1 is wider in Baja Sur. Guerrero Negro to east cape in 3 days will be lots of time. Never had any questions about food but if you bring fuel containers they have to be empty. Never had any issues at the checkpoints, the military guys have always been very professional and always requested for me to be with them when looking inside the trailer. I’m looking forward to my next drive south
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.