BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Newbie's planning road trip, advice requested...
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2021 at 05:52 PM

Please report back after your trip and share the good, bad and advice that was helpful. It would also be nice to know things that you learned as a new Baja traveler that we may think of. Drive safe and enjoy!
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2021 at 10:52 AM

1. We've received recommendations that I-5 will be easier with a travel trailer and that Mexicali East crossing is easier with a trailer as well. For purposes of easily navigating, is the Immigration office on the left or right? Do we cross the border then park to go get FMM stamped? Or do you leave rig in lane and go into office? Any tips?

- Yes Mexicali East is pretty mellow especially in the mornings. As someone else said, you'll most likely get pulled over to secondary inspection anyway. When you're parked, ask them about immigration and FMM. They'll let you park there and its right through the glass doors to the right of you as you're heading south. Otherwise it is a very difficult/sharp right hand turn into the parking lot that isn't easily seen.

2. We've been told we can only have one spare tire, is that correct? I'm assuming it's one spare for our truck and one spare for our trailer.

- I've never heard of this before. You should be alright carrying more than one. I would plan on carrying a spare for the truck and trailer. As others said, make sure you have all your equipment for replacing a tire and repairing one if needed. However there are a million tire shops along the way.

3. Are there any issues with bringing food/alcohol into Mexico? Curious how to stock our trailer fridge to limit any hassles.

-They don't care much about food coming down, but they always seem to ask me about how much alcohol I am bringing. Either hide it away really good or just buy it down there. If they find it they'll either give you a warning or make you pay taxes.

4. Does the US border need a negative covid test before driving back across or is that only for airlines?

- Only airlines, not land based travel.

5. So far our plan is to head out from home in Sacramento and stop at El Centro/Calexico > Calexico to Guerrero Negro > Guerrero Negro to Loreto . Loreto to East Cape. Assuming we can cross the border at 6am, is Calexico to Guerrero Negro feasible in daylight in December pulling a trailer or are we pushing it? Better ideas for stops?

- You should be OK to G. Negro. I usually leave my house in San Diego around 6 or 7am and can hit G. Negro just at or around dusk. Sometimes it is dark but only for a little while. That stretch isn't very bad at night though in my opinion. Pretty straight and wide. There is always the possibility of cattle or horses on the road. Also that area will get foggy but usually more so in the morning hours.

6. Any favorite RV parks in Guerrero Negro and Loreto?

- Nope

7. Would you recommend extra gas cans or are the Pemex stations prevalent enough?

- Most long time travelers will just say bring gas. I always carry 10 gallons, but lately have not really needed them. Good to have them though. I highly recommend the Wavian fuel cans. They seal up so well you can actually carry them inside and they will not smell or leak.

8. Any tips on the military inspections? I'm assuming just vacate the vehicle with the dogs? We'll be traveling with a speargun for fishing, would that be an issue? Can we pack a machete or is that not permitted?

- The hundreds of inspections I've driven through I always feel its a little awkward when you roll up. They stare you down a bit and then ask if you know Spanish. Then usually just say "inspection" or "go ahead". It is good to get the dogs out. Sometimes they'll see the dogs and just not want to deal with it and let you go. hah.

9. We'll have to take care of some work while travelling down. Any insight on AT&T cell phone coverage?

- AT&T is pretty good down there. Shouldn't be a problem.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2021 at 01:32 PM

Bumping this thread to update it with the most current information. We are travelling south in just over a week. Does everyone still recommend crossing at Mexicali? I have seen the post about the military inspection at SI and have noted the phone number in my phone to keep them honest.

Any recommendations on the best place to cross. We will overnight somewhere near the border and then cross first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the input. Cheers.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 10-11-2021 at 02:27 PM

Cross at Mexicali East like a lot of folks suggest.
Stay in El Centro the night before.
Cant avoid S.I. check point if you're going that far south.
Search all the relayed posts about what and what not to do at check points...you'll be fine. Safe travels.
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 04:20 AM

Looking at it in my first-timer pair of shoes . . .

“ . . . first road trip down to newly acquired property in East Cape in December. We will be traveling with a 24' travel trailer and two large dogs. . . taking 4 days *** down ***. . . work while travelling down . . ."

a. This implies you've previously flown to Cabo/East Cape to purchase the property, but this is your first road trip. So you now have the Baja bug :-)
b. 4 days DOWN to East Cape is a modest plan, as long as it is for the drive DOWN only, countdown from the border. You didn't say how LONG you plan to drive back UP north. I think 4 days for the entire trip would be "pushing it". Dogs need some of your time, and so does speargun fishing, and not to mention doing your work job.
c. My greatest scare, for a first timer (unless you're an experienced big rig driver), would be the towing of a 24ft trailer in divider-less, shoulder-less 9ft-wide lanes, through the twisty/winding uphill/downhill highways, with many curvas peligroso (with the ubiquitous shrines/markers for accident deaths), and likely thick fog. You did not describe your tow vehicle; make sure it has great acceleration, stopping and handling abilities.
d. The checkpoint guys always asked to bring the dogs out (Rott, Doberman, German Shepherd). I remember once they kept my dog in a small kennel at the US border crossing during the inspection/etc. It helps if your dogs are obedience-trained.
e. If you have time to spare on your way UP north, I'd suggest do all the recreation and enjoy at that time. My experience is that for every 4 hour drive, I needed to spend the same amount to regain my wits (I drive a small motorhome). After all what for do you go to Baja?
f. ENJOY and share your roadtrip experience with us.

[Edited on 10-12-2021 by edm1]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 08:21 AM

Good advice edm1, especially e. and f. !!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

akmccowen

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 08:45 AM

Thanks, all - We appreciate the help!

After the armed car jackings near San Felipe (late Aug?) we have been apprehensive about Mexicali crossing and were considering Tecate. The wider lanes on 5 are more appealingand we've read on here that car jackers aren't interested in RV's. Still debating and any insight would be helpful.

edm1 - Thanks for taking the time, great help! We have planned 4 days down and 4 days back up, seeing how the dogs do with the 4 days down- maybe we need longer.

My biggest scare, also, is the narrow roads. Husband is very skilled pulling the trailer and plan to take it slow and easy. Our tow vehicle is a 2018 truck that is low miles and I would consider reliable and ideal for the conditions. The acceleration is great and the trailer is very light. The truck will have a thorough service and inspection before hitting the road. The trailer will have new upgraded tires.

This forum is amazing and we are grateful for the help! We'll definitely post our trip when we return. We are enjoying the planning and preparing process!

Salud!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 09:38 AM

If you cross at Tecate and head east on hwy 2, all you will bypass is Mexicali traffic. It is a nice drive, and the Rumorasa grade is good road, but it intersects hwy 5 just south of Mexicali.

If you take hwy 3 from Tecate to Ensenada, then head east to hwy 5, you will add a whole lot of time on mountain roads, and still intersect hwy 5 well north of San Felipe. Again, a very nice drive, but it would certainly expand your travel time pulling a trailer.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
akmccowen

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
If you cross at Tecate and head east on hwy 2, all you will bypass is Mexicali traffic. It is a nice drive, and the Rumorasa grade is good road, but it intersects hwy 5 just south of Mexicali.

If you take hwy 3 from Tecate to Ensenada, then head east to hwy 5, you will add a whole lot of time on mountain roads, and still intersect hwy 5 well north of San Felipe. Again, a very nice drive, but it would certainly expand your travel time pulling a trailer.

Thanks - If we crossed at Tecate, we would take 3 to Ensenada to 1 to avoid 5 given the car jackings.... Weighing options: 5 with fairly rare chance of car jacking, potential bullies at SI checkpoint and have better roads OR 1 with slower more dangerous roads? If taking 1, our first night destination (Plan A) would be to stay in Catavina, which we were excited to see.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by akmccowen  
The wider lanes on 5 are more appealingand we've read on here that car jackers aren't interested in RV's. Still debating and any insight would be helpful.
Salud!

Don't draw conclusions from comments made by inexperienced tourists about security in Baja.

5 had a multiple car jacking. May/may not happen for a long time, or ever. Whether it's 5 or 1, you take your chances.

I drive 1 in a $70,000 (new) '02 Class C. 20 years. In '02, I was sideswiped by a 5th wheel going N. outside of SI. It was in a caravan, going downhill, and out of control. I was lucky it only took out my driver side mirror. (In Loreto, at Riviera RV Park, a caravan of Class A's showed up and one of the rigs had also been sideswiped. We agreed keeping mirrors close in was necessary.)

I've had harrowing experiences, generally, with passing a semi, in either direction, where one side of my RV is on the shoulder (outer dually is off road).

RV parking at Malarrino's (in back of restaurant) in GN, and Riviera RV Park in Loreto. I only stay in RV parks. I have an alarm on the cab and coach door.

(I cross Tecate about 7am on a Sunday. Stage at Potrero campground night before. 10 minutes from Tecate. https://www.sdparks.org/content/sdparks/en/park-pages/Potrer...

I drive 6 hours or so a day. Los Olivos, San Quintin, is my destination first night. It's minutes from Jardin's where I like to eat. IMO, Catavina is way too far in an RV from Tecate. Maybe when I was younger.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
akmccowen

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by akmccowen  
Weighing options: 5 with fairly rare chance of car jacking, potential bullies at SI checkpoint and have better roads OR 1 with slower more dangerous roads?

I don't understand what you're saying: Both routes would take you through the San Ignacio checkpoint; it's actually in a pretty strategic location to catch all the peninsular traffic.
Is there even any practical way to route around if one were so inclined? :?:

Ah! My mistake on SI. Thank you!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 11:02 AM

Days are getting shorter... get to your camp spot or hotel well before dark!

When you cross the state border (near Guerrero Negro) you lose an hour entering Mountain Time Zone.

Drive times in an big RV or towing should be based on 40 mph avg. when estimating your next day's travel. Unless you begin driving at sunrise, remember your first hours are not driving and it gets dark earlier as we near Dec. 21.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2021 at 10:28 AM

You guys are great. Thanks for the wonderful tips. We are heading out from Vancouver Island late next week. After a little shuffle to get our car across the border into Washington, we will head down I5. Likely crossing the border to Mexico the morning of the 25th or 26th. WE ae very excited about the trip. First time down the Baja.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 10-13-2021 at 10:43 AM

Just a friendly heads up, you're going to get a little flack for the use of "The" when you say down the Baja. Lose the The... :)

[Edited on 10-13-2021 by bajafreaks]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2021 at 10:47 AM

"The" is a common prefix used by people from The Canada!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2021 at 06:59 PM

Sorry, eh! It is meant as a short form of "down the Baja Peninsula"
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2021 at 07:06 PM

"Down the peninsula" would also work!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2021 at 07:48 AM
From the pen of Dave Deal, in Jimmy Smith's book 'The Grinning Gargoyle Spills the Beans and other yarns of Baja California'

The Baja Map.jpg - 243kB

phmilo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Well if we are going to quibble, we do say "the south", "The NorthEast", "the plains", "the Pacific Northwest" when referring to regions within America (itself an abbreviation of "the United States of America"). And since the (the)Baja is an amalgamation of North and south Baja, both distinct regions of the larger Mexico, wouldn't that be just as appropriate?

I actually don't have a preference, but as far as topics for arguing on the internet, this is much better than most of our others. So I'll throw my lot in with "the Baja".
eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2021 at 05:28 PM

Thanks for the support:D I happen to live on the Island, on the West Coast, of the North :biggrin:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.