BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Anyone done much off roading around Mammoth?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 09:50 PM
Anyone done much off roading around Mammoth?

Was thinking about going up to Mammoth next week to escape the SoCal heat. And started wondering if there were offroad trails up there.

A YT search turned up a bunch of videos. I had no idea. Anyone ridden up there?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 02:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Was thinking about going up to Mammoth next week to escape the SoCal heat. And started wondering if there were offroad trails up there.

Mostly FS land around mammoth. All FS land in CA is closed right now (due to fires and staffing during fires)

The appealing alpine/high elev lands around mammoth are mostly accessed by non-motorized means. The driveable unpaved routes are less desirable areas.

Do short people not hike?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 06:10 AM

There is tons of BLM land around Mammoth too. I’ve only done stuff south of Mammoth out of Bishop area and near Tom’s place. It’s all epic up there for the scenery, riding is eh because it’s usually super powdery and very dusty but totally worth going.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 06:33 AM

Check out the White mountains across the valley. The Bishop 4WD club goes up there on fall rides. Locals know where the bristlecone pine tree is which is known to be the oldest tree in North America.

Rumor has it, that a palm tree on a beach was carved in the trunk back in ancient times:biggrin::bounce::P

Es Todo Bueno
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 06:55 AM

Also lots of hot springs in the area. Like the Goat said all NF are closed because of the fire danger so check before you go. Amazing areas in all directions....
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 06:56 AM

I have done many moto off road rides there very nice. That was very long time ago . I would think by now not all routes open. Jz if you want escape Ca heat still in 70s around me at Beach. Many single track and two track
Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 08:20 AM

JZ,

Please stay out of the National Forests and BLM land during this fire season. Those of us who live in fire prone areas will thank you. Your family might thank you too.

All of California's National Forests are under a total closure order for good reason. All State owned recreational lands in the area are closed as well. BLM land has many commercial purposes which make total closure for recreation impossible on BLM land, but that doesn't lessen the fire danger or danger to the people in those areas.

One of the reasons for the closures is the safety of recreational users - not just from potential fire but also because there is no personnel available to rescue people who are there just for the fun of it. That would include a friend of mine who almost died from internal bleeding just two weeks ago after an accidental fall on a jeep trail near where you want to go. There were no paramedics or other rescue personnel available to evacuate him and he was forced to rely on fellow jeep club members to get him out, which took half a day. I am not kidding when I say he almost didn't make it.

Please pick another place to recreate this September. Mammoth and the surrounding areas will still be there after the rains begin later in the year.

BTW, I am a Carr Fire survivor. The danger posed by this year's fires should not be minimized.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 08:28 AM

We were supposed to go to Mammoth this weekend to ride mountain bikes, but due to the forests being closed, the Mammoth Bike Park is closed. We can't hike due to the same issue, hence, we are now not going to Mammoth.

When they open the forests, I'd recommend riding to Coyote Flats above Bishop, a fun road for bikes or trucks with spectacular scenery.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 08:33 AM

too late, you missed Mammoth motocross back in june. great time had by all but there was that bear incident!:P

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 08:34 AM

There we have it JZ it sucks to be in CA . Waiting on you lets ride
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
too late, you missed Mammoth motocross back in june. great time had by all but there was that bear incident!:P

Yep, we enjoyed Mammoth MX earlier this year:

Coyote Flats at ~11,000':

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  
JZ,

Please stay out of the National Forests and BLM land during this fire season. Those of us who live in fire prone areas will thank you. Your family might thank you too.

All of California's National Forests are under a total closure order for good reason. All State owned recreational lands in the area are closed as well. BLM land has many commercial purposes which make total closure for recreation impossible on BLM land, but that doesn't lessen the fire danger or danger to the people in those areas.

One of the reasons for the closures is the safety of recreational users - not just from potential fire but also because there is no personnel available to rescue people who are there just for the fun of it. That would include a friend of mine who almost died from internal bleeding just two weeks ago after an accidental fall on a jeep trail near where you want to go. There were no paramedics or other rescue personnel available to evacuate him and he was forced to rely on fellow jeep club members to get him out, which took half a day. I am not kidding when I say he almost didn't make it.

Please pick another place to recreate this September. Mammoth and the surrounding areas will still be there after the rains begin later in the year.

BTW, I am a Carr Fire survivor. The danger posed by this year's fires should not be minimized.

I hear you about the fires.

But your comment about lack of rescue personnel is good know, but not a reason to not ride somewhere. If we went by that standard none of us would ever ride in Baja.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
JZ,

I hear you about the fires.

But your comment about lack of rescue personnel is good know, but not a reason to not ride somewhere. If we went by that standard none of us would ever ride in Baja.

JZ, with all due respect, sometimes you have to put your own selfish motives on the back burner and cooperate with the authorities who have more compelling matters to deal with than your "right" to recreate.

Unlike Baja, where it is a given that you are on your own and there is no one to rescue you, in the United States the authorities will still try to rescue you from your own poor decisions even though there are closure or evacuation orders in effect and even though the government's equipment and personnel is stretched beyond the breaking point dealing with the disaster that is the basis for those closure orders.

I know you will do exactly as you please with no regard for your fellow man because rules are for "other people," which is why there are forum members here who wouldn't shed a tear if something bad happened to you, but I wouldn't want for anyone, including you, and especially not to a first responder or other safety personnel who might be forced to come to your aid or to a person denied aid because someone had to attend to you or your family instead.

Please stay away for now. Its not too much to ask.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 11:38 AM

JZ, with all due respect, sometimes you have to put your own selfish motives on the back burner and cooperate with the authorities who have more compelling matters to deal with than your "right" to recreate.

Unlike Baja, where it is a given that you are on your own and there is no one to rescue you, in the United States the authorities will still try to rescue you from your own poor decisions even though there are closure or evacuation orders in effect and even though the government's equipment and personnel is stretched beyond the breaking point dealing with the disaster that is the basis for those closure orders.

I know you will do exactly as you please with no regard for your fellow man because rules are for "other people," which is why there are forum members here who wouldn't shed a tear if something bad happened to you, but I wouldn't want for anyone, including you, and especially not to a first responder or other safety personnel who might be forced to come to your aid or to a person denied aid because someone had to attend to you or your family instead.

Please stay away for now. Its not too much to ask.

If it is closed, it's closed. Wasn't arguing that. Just your other point. Calm your panties down.

[Edited on 9-8-2021 by JZ]

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 01:28 PM

Mr Bills your correct but Jz would not ride if Fire danger. So your a little bit overboard. All the years I rode in CA we always took care of any injured people . On our own if I was that worried I would leave the house. Just dont start in on JZ selfish motives that is total not accepted
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 01:56 PM

Maybe Florida has a lot of great trails to explore :light:

Their rescue/health care /rescue services are probably up to expected standards these days.

Don't believe everything you think....
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 02:15 PM

:light::light::light::light::light::light:
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 07:42 PM

Everybody calm down, rescue services are available and are not stretched past their breaking point.

I second Coyote Flats and Funnel Lake area, it’s beautiful and a fun ride especially in a RZR. Make sure you have your spark arrestor properly installed and go enjoy yourself (no open flames though!)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Maybe Florida has a lot of great trails to explore :light:

Their rescue/health care /rescue services are probably up to expected standards these days.

Jizzy says that everything in Florida is better than California, and gov. Desantis walks on water better than Jesus!.

Why hasn’t Jizzy moved to Florida?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 11:42 PM

JZ, I know for a fact that there are many BLM trails open in the Mammoth area. HIT THOSE TRAILS!

Also, do your best to locate where Mr. Bill is and make sure you hit the rev limiter as you pass by. But... make sure you show him the proper amount of respect by offering the 1-finger salute.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.