BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Anyone done much off roading around Mammoth?
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 12:16 AM

Birds of a feather....:rolleyes:

Don't believe everything you think....
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 05:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

Coyote Flats at ~11,000':

Just looked at this pic on my big monitor. Wow, that is spectacular!

I'm gonna read up on it and watch some videos. How far does the dirt start from Bishop?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 06:32 AM

Interesting video that goes over Alabama Hills near Lone Pine and Coyote Flats. Alabama Hills isn't part of the closure and is open.

[Edited on 9-9-2021 by JZ]

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 08:46 AM

You can hit the Coyote Flats trails just outside of Bishop off the 168. You can also take the 168 up and turn left on S Lake road, take that up to the south lake area and access it from that side. There is a small hotel off S Lake road you can stay at if you’d like, super nice up there.

There is an old WWII runway up near Coyote Flats and Funnel Lake, used to have hangers and everything. The hangers have been torn down and the runway ditched because private pilots would fly in and camp and I guess the forest people didn’t like that. You can still see the runway (37.204310, -118.476271)
[Edited on 9-9-2021 by WestyWanderer]

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 09:09 AM

Been by Alabama Hills 50 times, but never drove up there. Looks really cool with all the arches and canyons. It's not part of the closure.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
You can hit the Coyote Flats trails just outside of Bishop off the 168.....

What are the "non-motorized" rules for the area? Would be fun to explore on a moto away from main/secondary road "trails"

https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_04958/ride_7051.htm

[Edited on 9-9-2021 by motoged]

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 10:02 AM

Coyote Flats is suppose to have 2200 miles of trails.

Camping spot in the pines tree from one of the videos. I think they said it took them 4hrs to get there. If it rained the pond would fill up.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Coyote Flats is suppose to have 2200 miles of trails.

Camping spot in the pines tree from one of the videos. I think they said it took them 4hrs to get there. If it rained the pond would fill up.

If it rained enough to fill that pond, then the FS land would not be closed :light:

If you want to really experience the sierras, then you got to hike…. Best areas are roadless.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 12:18 PM

sorry, no squids;)

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 03:21 PM

Now that is best clueless remark of the day .Hike best areas are roadless . When you hike you can only go a few miles a day. So you can only see little in that time. Now if you where strong active had the guts it takes to ride a dirt bike. The the best Areas are done on motos. Why only see a few miles a day when you can see 120 miles or more a day. It would take you month to see what we see in one day.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Now that is best clueless remark of the day .Hike best areas are roadless . When you hike you can only go a few miles a day. So you can only see little in that time. Now if you where strong active had the guts it takes to ride a dirt bike. The the best Areas are done on motos. Why only see a few miles a day when you can see 120 miles or more a day. It would take you month to see what we see in one day.

Dude, don’t be ridiculous, the best areas in the sierras are inaccessible to you on motos.

A few miles is an hour of hiking. A good day hike is 20+ miles (if you got off that moto and got in shape)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 07:45 PM

One of the better books showing back country trails for an SUV is Back Country Adventures by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson. One book is for Northern CA that includes the Mammoth area and one for Southern CA. They include GPS coordinates.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2021 at 07:49 PM

Goat, when was the last time you hiked? I start the PCT March 17th, you are welcome to join my out of shape moto riding ass all the way to Canada, it's only 2653 miles! There are many areas that I am glad are foot and horse traffic only but I sure do enjoy a few hundred miles on my moto. How much motorcycles ridding do you have under your belt?
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2021 at 10:08 AM

HAHA ADV you got that right . Donkey goat nature N-zi.. only talk spam best when he said he could ride a dirt bike. :bounce: I offered 10 grand cash . If he could make a ride with me even give nature N-zi a bike to ride. :o He quickly chickened out ask to change contest .:D
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2021 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Goat, when was the last time you hiked? I start the PCT March 17th, you are welcome to join my out of shape moto riding ass all the way to Canada, it's only 2653 miles! There are many areas that I am glad are foot and horse traffic only but I sure do enjoy a few hundred miles on my moto. How much motorcycles ridding do you have under your belt?

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
HAHA ADV you got that right . Donkey goat nature N-zi.. only talk spam best when he said he could ride a dirt bike. :bounce: I offered 10 grand cash . If he could make a ride with me even give nature N-zi a bike to ride. :o He quickly chickened out ask to change contest .:D

LOL, you gas bags get old!

In my teens I had a Yamaha 250 dirt bike, tore up lots of land before I learned better. In early college years I had a Honda 500 street bike. I had enough personal experiences to learn that motorcycles were flocking dangerous, road not worth the danger from other drivers, and other friends crashed their dirt bikes and broke their bodies. And at about age 20 I discovered that bicycle racing was way more fun than motor bikes, so I took up mountain road biking, and mostly raced mt bikes.
I have given up road riding these days, because you lard a$$es are all driving on your cell phones and not paying attention to the road, making road riding too dangerous for me, so I now ride mt bikes, hike and paddle (sup, kayak, surfski).
bajatrailriderdirtbag: happy to kick your a$$ any day!

Woke!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2021 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

bajatrailriderdirtbag: happy to kick your a$$ any day!

Talk is cheap goat, put up or shut up. I'll buy the beer and bring the ice for your sore a$$.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2021 at 11:16 AM

HAAAA your teen is only thing you can talk about . You where no rider then now could not even mount a dirt bike now. How can a donkey with four hoofs ride a bike. Give it up all know your spam please dont get you get worked up about my words . Your great good for jokes
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2021 at 11:42 AM

Your such a big hiker lets go, in Baja or the mountains! With you vast experience I'm sure you could show me some amazing trails, but if they are all hidden secrets I'll show you some! Talk is cheap..
You might get hit crossing the street so you should probably just stay in the basement and hide out waiting for death to take you. Why go have fun, everything is dangerous.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2021 at 12:02 PM

:coolup: The donkey has been in Basement ever since his his Gov is up to get kicked out . Dont dare talk about what our new president just did .
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2021 at 05:44 PM

If Goat rides like bajatraileguy spells and tries his best with grammar, he should stay in a basement :lol:

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.