Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: crossing Otay border on a bike
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 08:59 AM
crossing Otay border on a bike

don't know whats up with this but they're not letting bikes ride up to front of the line....how would you like to push your scoot for two hours in this heat!:no:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 10:13 AM

That's a big change and IMO not a good one. The procedure is to ride to the front and wait for someone to let you in. Which usually happens quickly. The motorcyclists don't bother me when I'm in line.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 10:26 AM

There were waaay too many complaints to the border office about bikes cutting in line. Regardless that they are a bike. Would you let someone cut in front of you at the bank or the grocery store? And you know what happens if you try to cut in line with a car. So now there is a dedicated motorcycle line at Otay crossing.
And for those who like to cross at Tecate...you know what happens there if you cut in. You get a ticket. Tecate has two lanes, one for cars and one for commercial traffic. It is a major uproar if you try to cut the line.

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
don't know whats up with this but they're not letting bikes ride up to front of the line....how would you like to push your scoot for two hours in this heat!:no:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 10:57 AM

The difference is I'm in an air-conditioned car, wearing comfortable clothes, sitting in a comfortable car seat, and listening to the radio. Motorcyclists, if you make them wait, are standing holding their bikes up, or straddling their bike keeping it balanced, pushing them along, without air-conditioning, and wearing heavy road gear.

Sit back, relax, let the bikers go to the front. There aren't many, at least not at San Ysidro.

[Edited on 9-15-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
The difference is I'm in an air-conditioned car, wearing comfortable clothes, sitting in a comfortable car seat, and listening to the radio. Motorcyclists, if you make them wait, are standing holding their bikes up, or straddling their bike keeping it balanced, pushing them along, without air-conditioning, and wearing heavy road gear.

Sit back, relax, let the bikers go to the front. There aren't many, at least not at San Ysidro.

x2

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

X-100

It's sad that SO many people only care about themselves....

X100

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 11:27 AM

I would be curious if this ridiculous policy was at all the crossings?

John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 11:52 AM

Bikes need to wait like any other vehicle. Bullchit that bikers think they can cut in front of line.
If hot day, take off your jacket while you wait in line.
If heat is a problem for you, perhaps take a car instead of bike, wait to travel in cooler season, or get sentri.

[Edited on 9-15-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 12:02 PM

Apparently O'l Goat has never ridden a bike ....

Or, he is just one of the aforementioned persons that I spoke of ?

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 12:14 PM

you knew it was comin':rolleyes:

John Hiatt
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 12:18 PM

I would be curious if this ridiculous policy was at all the crossings?

I haven't heard of it at San Ysidro and I read several Facebook groups with members that frequently cross there.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
There were waaay too many complaints to the border office about bikes cutting in line. Regardless that they are a bike. Would you let someone cut in front of you at the bank or the grocery store? And you know what happens if you try to cut in line with a car. So now there is a dedicated motorcycle line at Otay crossing.
And for those who like to cross at Tecate...you know what happens there if you cut in. You get a ticket. Tecate has two lanes, one for cars and one for commercial traffic. It is a major uproar if you try to cut the line.

The bikers here in nomadlandia apparently are very weak and sensitive snowflakes that “need” line cutting privileges due to their infirmities. It sounds like these bikers need to trade in their bikes for an ambulance :lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 01:34 PM

Watcha drinkin' goat? Sour cow's milk?

I'm not a biker but I'm pro-biker in this case. There just aren't that many to cause a problem. Making them wait in line is unreasonable if you stop and think about it.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 03:10 PM

Never had an issue crossing, going to the front of the line in Tecate? Last time I was there I was having a tire problem and hanging back in line and one of the Mexican policia came up and told me bikes go to the front. I had to pull over several times to put air in and each time I got back in line the cars in front waved me forward. I guess Mexicans are friendlier then grumpy old gringos... Don't have a problem waiting if that is the rule.
Many people will cut off a bike when we are "legally" lane splitting ( not going a 100 mph down the freeway)as well because it's not fare that a bike can do it! I usually only do it at lights in an attempt to avoid being rear ended by someone on their phone.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 05:51 PM

Bikes to the front in most of the world. It's really only the entitled north American drivers who have an issue sharing the road.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 05:57 PM

why do bikers feel entitled to special treatment?

if bike is so uncomfortable or unwieldy in line, perhaps you should not drive it, eh?

Woke!

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 07:33 PM

If you are in line at the grocery store with a big cart full of food and someone walks up with a loaf of bread what do you do ? You let them in front of you it's called common curiosity we seem to lacking it.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 08:09 PM

I don't think goat would agree, they can wait! I don't think he has any common curiosity in him. Hey goat ready to take you on a hike any day you can make it!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-16-2021 at 12:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
If you are in line at the grocery store with a big cart full of food and someone walks up with a loaf of bread what do you do ? You let them in front of you it's called common curiosity we seem to lacking it.

Not a relevant comparison.
In your example, big diff in time between full grocery cart and single item.
It takes same amount of time for motorbike or car to be interviewed at border xing.
When I am at grocery store buying 1 item, I do not let another single-item purchaser cut line. That would be stupid.
Your point was pointless.

Why is motorcyclist’s time more valuable than another drivers time?

[Edited on 9-16-2021 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2021 at 07:19 AM

Maybe reread his post, he said if you had a full cart and you let someone cut in line with one item. Your just a bitter person at anyone doing something fun!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.