Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: crossing Otay border on a bike
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2021 at 11:32 AM

My understanding is that there is a longstanding custom for motorcycles cutting to the front of lines or stopped traffic. I've never seen this in print or law, so cannot verify this information. It is a common-sense tradition based on the fact that motorcycles had/have air-cooled engines and must keep moving for proper cooling. It had nothing to do with the comfort or convenience of the rider. In this century, most motorcycles (not scooters) are liquid cooled.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2021 at 01:17 PM

True, most bikes are water cooled now. However, unlike a car where there is room for large radiators, most water cooled bikes have small radiators and small or even no radiator fans. So air flow is still important as bikes are not designed to be stationary for long periods of time with their engines idling.

In Calif is is perfectly legal* for bikes to share lanes and move to the front when stopped. No different than what happens at the border.

(*unlike other states, there is no law or statue that prohibits this.)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-16-2021 at 01:35 PM

There is a big difference between lane filtering at a traffic light, and lane filtering to cut in line at inspection point.

Wait your turn.

If motorcycles are incapable of prolonged idling, perhaps you should leave it at home, replace faulty bike with appropriate bike, use other transportation, etc.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 09:57 AM

Exactly!

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
don't know whats up with this but they're not letting bikes ride up to front of the line....how would you like to push your scoot for two hours in this heat!:no:

Bikes need to wait like any other vehicle. Bullchit that bikers think they can cut in front of line.
If hot day, take off your jacket while you wait in line.
If heat is a problem for you, perhaps take a car instead of bike, wait to travel in cooler season, or get sentri.

[Edited on 9-15-2021 by mtgoat666]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 09:59 AM

Exactly as well!

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
If you are in line at the grocery store with a big cart full of food and someone walks up with a loaf of bread what do you do ? You let them in front of you it's called common curiosity we seem to lacking it.

Not a relevant comparison.
In your example, big diff in time between full grocery cart and single item.
It takes same amount of time for motorbike or car to be interviewed at border xing.
When I am at grocery store buying 1 item, I do not let another single-item purchaser cut line. That would be stupid.
Your point was pointless.

Why is motorcyclist’s time more valuable than another drivers time?

[Edited on 9-16-2021 by mtgoat666]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 10:57 AM
What about the rider?

Even if the bike is not overheating, can you imagine straddling a warm, running engine dressed in protective gear, with no shade or breeze in 100+ degree temps?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Even if the bike is not overheating, can you imagine straddling a warm, running engine dressed in protective gear, with no shade or breeze in 100+ degree temps?

If heat bothers you, perhaps you should walk or travel by car when crossing border.
Hot days are just a 3 months of the year, perhaps you snowflakes can avoid crossing border in late summer when temps may be high.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 12:05 PM

OK so about 3 weeks ago there was a huge motorcycle rally somewhere around Rosarito Beach. I must have seen 1,000 bikes. I heard they came not only from Mexico, but Phoenix, Las Vegas, all over So. Cal, and who knows where. I`m guessing that when they crossed, there were some big groups. Letting a bike go first is fine, but how about a group of 10 or more? Maybe this policy was a response to complaints.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.