BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Anybody else have this problem in Baja?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 06:57 AM
Anybody else have this problem in Baja?

Conversation this morning with Siri:
Me (after realizing I had driven way pass the usual Friday morning donut shop: "Hey Siri, closest donut shop"
Siri: 'I found one, Howard's Donuts on Sunrise Blvd, 1.5 miles away; will this do?"
Me: Yes
Siri: OK, would you like to call or get directions?
Me: Directions
Siri: Where would you like to go?
Me: ?? Howard's Donuts
Siri: Howard's Donuts on Sunrise?
Me: YES!!
Siri: I found Howard's Donuts, it gets good reviews. Would you like to call or get directions?
Me: WTF?? "Direction please"
Siri: Where would you like to go?
Me, after pulling over: "you dumb piece of crap A.I. junk, HOWARD'S DONUTS!!
Siri, after a long pause: "I found one on Sunrise, gets good reviews, would you like to call or get directions?"
Me: (%^&*%$#@$%^*((&^%$#
Siri: "Sir, there is no need to talk to me that way"
Me: "why you sorry sack of ......" as I chuck the iPhone 12 mini that cost damn near $1K into the middle of Sunrise Blvd and watch an early morning cement truck roll over it.
Good, I hear the new iPhones are better anyway.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 07:02 AM

" I hear the new I-phones get good reviews! Would you like to call, or get more information?"

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 07:16 AM

Samsung with Google assistant >>>> iPhone.

iPhones are for women and children who are easily bamboozled by marketing over who has the best technology.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 07:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

iPhones are for women and children who are easily bamboozled by marketing over who has the best technology.

Shorty mcjizzy,
Why do you feel compelled to insult iPhone users as being women and children? In your world view manly men use the crappy tech?

iPhone rules the world for one reason, it is better user experience. People willing pay more for iPhones because the software and hardware package is simply better than the rest.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 08:33 AM

Smart iPhone users are the smartests -- they think! That`s the only reason why they call themself smart. I do not have an iPhone. That´s why I am turning around when I missed the shop and be in the shop of my choice in no time. Using iPhones is making people dummer today than people were in the old days. Because `Thinking´ is no more! And "common sense" is not a content of the brain these days.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Great info, Slick. I would much rather have you try to bamboozle Nomads... :lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 08:51 AM

Sounds like some of you need a shot of tequila, and chill out.

John
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 08:56 AM
A good thread, with it's root in humor!

Would it be too much to ask that others respond in kind, and ignore posts that want to preach or argue? :?:

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 09:34 AM

The map girl is my first AI relationship. It started on a dark country road... Love is strange.

Es Todo Bueno
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
" I hear the new I-phones get good reviews! Would you like to call, or get more information?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I thought this was the best comment.

It's not the phone itself but the software that's at fault. I would have kept the phone and waited for a version upgrade. I think the same upgrades get rolled out to all the models so perhaps replacing iphones won't fix the problem.

The google map navigation available on iphones is worth the money of the phone just by itself. And the cameras have revolutionized image taking by the public. No way would I go back to the days before smart phones. In terms of universal usage it's probably the greatest technological innovation of this Century.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
Smart iPhone users are the smartests -- they think! That`s the only reason why they call themself smart. I do not have an iPhone. That´s why I am turning around when I missed the shop and be in the shop of my choice in no time. Using iPhones is making people dummer today than people were in the old days. Because `Thinking´ is no more! And "common sense" is not a content of the brain these days.

I resemble that remark.....However in my defense, I have stopped buying stuff on Amazon. Somehow sending more $ to J Bozo irks me. We all have our own limits, that's mine.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
In terms of universal usage it's probably the greatest technological innovation of this Century.

Or the greatest curse. I don't like the technology, too insidious. I have an old smartphone that I turn on only when my wife and I are apart, in case she needs to call.

IMHO ebook readers (Kindles) are the greatest tech innovation. Vise grip pliers and Gorilla Tape are right up there too. :lol:

[Edited on 9-17-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
In terms of universal usage it's probably the greatest technological innovation of this Century.

Or the greatest curse. I don't like the technology, too insidious. I have an old smartphone that I turn on only when my wife and I are apart, in case she needs to call.

IMHO ebook readers (Kindles) are the greatest tech innovation. Vise grip pliers and Gorilla Tape are right up there too. :lol:

Two tools I tell my students in Auto Tech I never want to see them use are Vise Grips and an adjustable (Crescent) wrench. Unless you absolutely, positively have no other choice.

A kid snapped a stud on his Toyota Supra intake manifold (after not following my instructions) so I had to use a Vise Grip to extract it. I just told them "you will likely need one when you don't follow directions the first time."

John

[Edited on 9-17-2021 by John Harper]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 10:22 AM
Android or iPhone?

I don't have either! My old Motorola flip phone (TracFone service) used to receive, but not place calls in Mexico, but on a Baja trip in 2013, I found that was no longer the case.

For my next trip in late 2014, I bought an ATT pre-paid "smart phone" for $30, and I am still using it today. It is a Microsoft, Lumina 640, and has been incredibly durable!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I don't have either! My old Motorola flip phone (TracFone service) used to receive, but not place calls in Mexico, but on a Baja trip in 2013, I found that was no longer the case.

For my next trip in late 2014, I bought an ATT pre-paid "smart phone" for $30, and I am still using it today. It is a Microsoft, Lumina 640, and has been incredibly durable!

I have a friend like that with a flip phone. He refuses to learn how to text, and I refuse to exchange voicemails. Needless to say, haven't heard much from him in a while.

John
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Two tools I tell my students in Auto Tech I never want to see them use are Vise Grips and an adjustable (Crescent) wrench. Unless you absolutely, positively have no other choice.

John

Sounds like rounding off nuts by improperly using versatile tools is a debate for another thread. Sorry I went off-topic.

Back on topic.

I'm a high-tech guy. The first code I wrote was 45 years ago and I worked 32 years straight in the microcomputer software business.

I really think the coupling of powerful, handheld, battery-operated devices that are within arm's reach 7/24, with AI software is frightening. I can't articulate exactly what my fears are, but the idea doesn't sit well with me. It's addictive, mind-overpowering.

That's why I'm looking forward to going to my winter home in BCS for 6 months where there is no cell signal, no Internet connectivity. I have to drive to town to go digital.

Six months living an analog life sounds (is) really good to me.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 10:48 AM

Funny story of Siri,

My first iPhone was a 7 max , It had the button that you pushed to open it, well apparently, I would hold the button too long and Siri would always ask me "How can I help you ?"

I didn't want or like Siri at all, I simply wanted to open the phone.
But she kept coming on ( I hadn't figured out to just push quickly )

Well, she was peeING me off big time, SO's I finally yell at her
" Go "F" yourself, eat SH*T and DIE !!!"

She comes back at me with ,

" I hope that you don't speak to your Mother with that mouth "?

She earned a LOT of points that day....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Sounds like rounding off nuts by improperly using versatile tools is a debate for another thread. Sorry I went off-topic.

Back on topic.

I'm a high-tech guy. The first code I wrote was 45 years ago and I worked 32 years straight in the microcomputer software business.

I really think the coupling of powerful, handheld, battery-operated devices that are within arm's reach 7/24, with AI software is frightening. I can't articulate exactly what my fears are, but the idea doesn't sit well with me. It's addictive, mind-overpowering.

That's why I'm looking forward to going to my winter home in BCS for 6 months where there is no cell signal, no Internet connectivity. I have to drive to town to go digital.

Isn't posting on Bajanomads the same? Actually more addicting than using an iphone. Iphones aren't that great for surfing the internet. Social media is the most time consuming addiction we may now have.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 11:49 AM

Yup, but nothing like it is going to be. There's no AI here. it won't be long before there will be silicon-based Bajanomad or Facebook members, like Data in Star Trek without the human form.

I hope it's not a troll.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 11:51 AM

Right out of college I spent 7 year writting code in C. Firmware for embedded systems. Used to test the original GSM based cellular networks.

Later led marketing for an AI startup in Silicon Beach. It was an Alexa like product for call centers.

Love technology. Have a bunch of gadgets.

[Edited on 9-17-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.