BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lodging/Eats in San Felipe and Santa Rosalia? Advise please.
JimH

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 09:42 PM
Lodging/Eats in San Felipe and Santa Rosalia? Advise please.

Ola Nomads! My wife and I will be making a drive to Loreto soon and on the way we plan to stay the night in San Felipe. Can anyone suggest a clean/safe/convenient place to stay the one night? Maybe even a place or two to eat?? The next night we plan to stay in Santa Rosalia - same questions - any advice on clean/safe/convenient places to stay and eat in Santa Rosalia? Very much appreciated - Thanks!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 10:46 PM

In San Felipe Kiki's is pretty nice but it's kind of off the beat n path but on the water. Up near the glorieta, the round a bout, 2 block past it on Mar Jonico is a little place called the Baja adventure. Plenty safe and good taco places close by.

About a 10 minute walk or 3 minute drive will get you to the Malecon with some nicer sit down places. Baja Mar Steak house next to the Taco Factory is about the best down there but there aren't any really bad places on the Malecon, just more or less expensive.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-18-2021 at 06:12 AM

Just a thought...
40 miles before Santa Rosalia is San Ignacio, a far-nicer location to wind down and crash for the night. Stay at the Hotel La Huerta (it is just past the mission and town plaza, which is on the paved side street off Hwy. 1). They have a restaurant at the hotel. Tacos at the plaza or by the gas station on the highway are great.

Here is what you see after you turn off Hwy. 1 and drive to the town center then the hotel:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2021 at 06:21 AM

Sf north end of malcon la vaquita great pescado entero
I agree skip santa rosalia stay either san ignacio or my choice push on to mulege.
In mulege find the race bar. Great food,drinks and often good smoke can be had
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2021 at 07:42 AM

Hacienda Don Jesus in San Felipe is very nice and clean, a short walk to the malecon.
Las Casitas in Santa Rosalia is very nice and you would be hard pressed to find a better Mar De Cortez view.
Be safe, Saludos.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2021 at 07:57 AM

Agree the new Don Jesus. And for food the south end of the Melancon is a good place.

Quote: Originally posted by chatolj  
Hacienda Don Jesus in San Felipe is very nice and clean, a short walk to the malecon.
Las Casitas in Santa Rosalia is very nice and you would be hard pressed to find a better Mar De Cortez view.
Be safe, Saludos.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2021 at 08:00 AM

I think Santa Rosalia is overlooked by many because they don't get out and walk around the town. We like to stay at El Morro which is a decent hotel by Baja standards with million dollar views of the Sea of Cortez. Las Casitas next door is a bit nicer but also twice the price, I believe.

Take a taxi downtown and have them drop you off around the port. Talk a walk east on the main road and marvel at the wooden structures. Make sure and grab dinner at El Muelle. We love their pizzas and margaritas but they have a wide range of food. It's always packed! https://www.tripadvisor.com.mx/Restaurant_Review-g609125-d18...

Durwin

[*] posted on 9-18-2021 at 10:03 AM

I made my first trip to Baja in June. I found Chumpos Pizza in San Felipe had terrific breakfasts. I ate there several times.

thumbnail_64546450340__A7CD4F9B-D26C-48D4-9C8B-F13033B6FE2D.jpg - 88kB

Whiskey Witch
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2021 at 09:38 PM

Our first time in Santa Rosalia in 2011, a group of us went to El Muelle. They had a "7 meat" pizza on offer. We ordered several. Unfortunately 5 of the meats were hot dogs, LoL. We still had a good time and did visit there again.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 08:04 AM

Santa Rosalia..... 2 great taco stands, El Pablano ,,, and tacos El Paisano.... both on the Hwy 1 as it travels right through town. Im sure there are some nice sit downs in town also if thats your thing.
Always see a nice looking hotel at the south end of town on the bluff... Its El Morro, havent stayed there but it looks "newer" than most and has a great view.

honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 08:09 AM

A great day! .... wake up in Santa Rosalia and go into town and have a sit down breakfast... the town is very different than most baja towns.... then hit a grocery store and buy some things for lunch and spend the day on a couple beaches at Cocepcion. then head in to loreto early afternoon.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
Santa Rosalia..... 2 great taco stands, El Pablano ,,, and tacos El Paisano.... both on the Hwy 1 as it travels right through town. Im sure there are some nice sit downs in town also if thats your thing.
Always see a nice looking hotel at the south end of town on the bluff... Its El Morro, havent stayed there but it looks "newer" than most and has a great view.

Not sure which is which but the one at the stop sign as you leave town is awesome! Great call!

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 11:36 AM

I like Sandollar S. of SF. Personally, I would pick up food in town and eat it at my room, or on the beach (Sandollar is on the beach.). They have a menu for food you can order and they'll pick it up for you.

Not cheapest place in town but private and comfortable.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 02:04 PM

El Morro is a good spot to stay and to eat. And I agree, SR is underrated. The downtown zone is a really cool place to walk around and explore the very unique scene on your layover evening. There's a vibe.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 07:54 PM

I like Las Casitas if you are going as far as Santa Rosalia. Beautiful views. I have also stayed at The Hotel Frances. An old and quirky place. I loved the squeaky floors.

La Huerta in San Ignacio has reasonably priced rooms and an excellent restaurant on site - after driving, you can't ask for more than just relaxing and eating where you will sleep.

Have fun!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 12:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
I think Santa Rosalia is overlooked by many because they don't get out and walk around the town.

I agree, I like Santa Rosalia. Certainly a unique baja town. We stop for tacos at a restaurant by the entrance where the locomotive is, on the south side, and usually go to the Boleo bakery for baguettes. There's also a big Ley supermarket and a large hardware store across the street from the Ley entrance.

[Edited on 9-22-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.