BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Should We Reconsider Our Roadtrip??????
TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 01:52 PM

I was impressed with how established the check points were when we drove down in February. Back in the day, they were just a spiked chain across the road in the most remote point between towns tended by kids with big guns who would ineed extract a mordita from time to time.

Now there is a customer service sign saying if you feel you were treated unfairly at a checkpoint, you should call the listed phone number. We talked about how funny (or, really, not) it would be if you called that number and guy who was giving you a hard time's phone rang...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 03:02 PM

In all my years of traveling Baja (date back well before the military ever had checkpoints), the most that was "extracted" from me was a request for a cold drink. Which I was happy to provide.

The only negative experience I had was in 2015 at the San Ignacio checkpoint where the guy in uniform accused me of having marijuana. He even grabbed some debris off my floormat and lit it with his cigarette lighter! He said it was marijuana. If it was, my shoes tracked it in from the last stop (Ricardo's Rice & Beans motel).
We welcomed a complete search. After a while, they got bored and sent us on our way.

I think if we were newbies, it would have ruined the chances of returning to Mexico again.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Disagree. Baja is already a Wild West show.

Seriously? Gringo travellers are soft targets like marshmallows, and just dripping with tempting wealth ripe for the plucking, yet how often do you actually hear of highway robbery or the like?

We must have different ideas of "Wild West". ;)

Right. My definition since 1960.

Prob disagree on the def ''lawless,'' too.:lol:

I've not heard of a jacking in BCS but have in BCN. Not making a distinction between the two. Consider petty theft Wild West. Consider Pescadero Wild West. Just what I see.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 05:10 PM

Aside from the off-topic retorts (which you should just ignore), I think everyone presented good advice on this topic. Don't drive at night, always top off your gas tank and have plenty of water/snacks in the car. If people in your group are nervous, reconsider the trip; there's nothing worse than trying to convince someone to enjoy themselves. It's a vacation after all. I typically tell people who are nervous about Mexico that the worse that's likely to happen to them is a sunburn. Of course, other things could happen, but not likely. Carjackings are indeed frightening but extremely unusual in Baja (again, not impossible; just unlikely).
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 05:16 PM

Go for it

Couple years ago my brother in law was driving home late from his job as fiddle player for the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. Gas gauge flickered so he pulled into one of those New York gas stations that are on the well lit throughways.....

He went inside to pay, and away went his new Honda.....

Moral of this story I guess, if you don't want to get mugged stay home.

Life is short, and Baja is great....get on down that road.
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 08:44 PM

In response to David K's post, I have travelled solo on both 1 and 5 for many years, with my children at times, and always with a dog. BTW I think he meant suspicions, not suspensions.

I have never had any problem, but that is not to say one could not happen. Nothing in life is a guaranteed proposition.
As noted, I do not drive at night, and in isolated areas I keep an awareness of my surroundings I do not carry any sort of weapon, just a big heavy flashlught.
. I would say there have been changes in Baja: It used to feel perfectly safe to turn off the highway and find a place to sleep for the night. I no longer do that, and might not even with a group of people anymore. I agree that checkpoints especially in isolated areas is a good thing. When I drove through 5 in April, I spoke with the guys at the Gonzaga checkpoint. They were not happy as they were not getting paid regularly, and I bought some supplies for them at Rancho Grande.
The recent incident with the caravan is disquieting, as well as some disappearances. In reality that happens in the States.
I think the thing to remember however, is that Mexico is NOT the USA, and if something does happen, things are going to be handled differently. And, if you don't speak Spanish , things can get pretty confusing.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 08:53 PM

Good point, baja has become more sketchy in the past 5 to 10 years. I think methamphetamine use and smuggling have a lot to do with it.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-20-2021 at 09:15 PM

In the USA you won’t get stopped by armed banditos on rural highways. In Mexico, well, in some states it happens frequently. Not so often in baja or bcs.

I have never heard of people being stopped by armed bandits on rural highways in western USA.

I am personally comfortable with the risk in baja. But I also admit I have no way of knowing what real risks may be.

There is poverty, drugs and crime all over Mexico, and some parts of Mexico are basically lawless. I am sure some of the chaos in other states is bleeding over into baja, but I don’t know how much…

People on here that say traffic accidents are more common (so higher risk) than armed bandits on highway are comparing apples to oranges. Of course traffic accidents are more frequent than armed robbery. But traffic accidents have absolutely nothing to do with armed robbery at a roadblock in boonies. Why even compare the two?
Accidents are more often than not avoidable — drive defensively, drive smart (on average 50% of all accidents are caused by you the driver)
Armed robberies are typically unavoidable. Most recent armed robbery happened to a convoy in broad daylight, seems pretty unavoidable particularly in light of all the advise given here.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 03:43 AM

On Goat's comments just above------------it's really rare, but in my opinion I do totally agree with the Goat on this one. He nailed it.
Barry
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 05:47 AM

I drove Mex 5 solo south mid-May, north first week of June, before the robberies. I felt safe then. It would be more comforting with more traffic on the road, but I would probably drive solo again if I was doing my usual routine of heading south again in October, but alas, am heading to the east coast this year with my son.
Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 09:22 AM

Has there actually been any accurate reports on this car jacking on the 5 ? Was there a second that involved some surfers ? I’ve always felt very safe driving on the Baja peninsula but I’ve not been down since Covid-19 started. I would hate to feel nervous about stopping to check on someone parked on the side of the road to see if they need assistance.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 11:23 AM

More definition for why, in my opinion, Baja is the Wild West:

Neapolitan Laws. Guilty until proven innocent.

A pervasive attitude that all gringoes are rich and worthy of fleecing.

Not all cops are bad but if you get in trouble, and need help, good luck finding a cop that'll help you. Be prepared to pay for cop services.

Two laws in Baja. Gringoes have a special set of laws that only apply to them.

If in an accident, NEVER leave your vehicle alone.

Finally, lock up or hide things of value when going through checkpoints. Loose items have been known to disappear.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 11:31 AM

I would MUCH prefer a "Wild West" type of environment compared to a sterilized, controlled , watched ( cameras all over ) type place.

This "Wild West" IS the draw that makes Baja such a unique and totally FUN and super interesting place !

[Edited on 9-21-2021 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
I would MUCH prefer a "Wild West" type of environment compared to a sterilized, controlled , watched ( cameras all over ) type place.

This "Wild West" IS the draw that makes Baja such a unique and totally FUN and super interesting place !

A wiseman once told me: Mexico is Disneyland for Adults.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Do you wear your mouse ears when in Baja ? :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 12:33 PM

So true !

Another good quote is

" Real living starts at the end of your comfort zone"

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Good point, baja has become more sketchy in the past 5 to 10 years. I think methamphetamine use and smuggling have a lot to do with it.

And a lot more people!

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 06:34 PM

Which is why a lot of Mexicans aren't... overly fond of Gringos. :lol:

I've loved a lot of Mexicans and they've loved me back. ;)

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-21-2021 at 06:59 PM

Which is why a lot of Mexicans aren't... overly fond of Gringos. :lol:

I've loved a lot of Mexicans and they've loved me back. ;)

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Your comment is revealing. Syphilus untreated may explain your mental state.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2021 at 05:02 AM

😂😂😂
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.