BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Any concerns about your RV in Baja?
akmccowen

[*] posted on 9-25-2021 at 01:31 PM
Any concerns about your RV in Baja?

Hola amigos-

We're planning our first trip to Baja and were going to do so in our 2018 Ford F-150 pulling a new travel trailer. Our truck is slightly lifted with nice wheels and the combo of our truck and trailer is pretty eye catching. While doing our research on this forum, we've read that it's unwise to bring any vehicle over $30,000 over the border. Our Mexican friends say the same thing. Reaching out to the Baja campers out there to see what thoughts you have. Given what we've read about the recent car jackings south of San Felipe, are we just asking for trouble? Am I naïve to think that there are nice RV's on those roads all the time? Whaddaya think?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-25-2021 at 03:40 PM

The main thing that would keep me from taking a $30,000 RV to Baja, is that spending $30,000 on an RV is alien to my nature.

If I did happen to spin the wheel of fortune and wind up with such a glamping rig, I would take it!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-25-2021 at 03:50 PM

Carjackers want trucks, they don’t want RVs.

Burglary of unattended vehicles is biggest risk. Burglars will break into unattended vehicles, if opportunity, whether $10k SUV or $30k RV.

Don’t leave your stuff unattended.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2021 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by akmccowen  
Hola amigos-

We're planning our first trip to Baja and were going to do so in our 2018 Ford F-150 pulling a new travel trailer.

Make sure you know where the safe places to spend the night are and get to one before sunset.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2021 at 04:28 PM

Dont worry your rig is low in value compared to others traveling in Baja.
You will not command much attention.
The latest F150s and Wranglers are hitting 80k+ and you see them all over Baja. Then look at the motorhomes going down the highways that are in the 4-500k value.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 9-25-2021 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Carjackers want trucks, they don’t want RVs.

Burglary of unattended vehicles is biggest risk. Burglars will break into unattended vehicles, if opportunity, whether $10k SUV or $30k RV.

Don’t leave your stuff unattended.

Hell has frozen over, I am agreeing with Senor Goat. :biggrin: Just use common sense and have a good time.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2021 at 05:14 PM

While doing our research on this forum, we've read that it's unwise to bring any vehicle over $30,000 over the border. Our Mexican friends say the same thing.

Where ever you read the above, in my opinion, is bogus. Your MX friends are paranoid.

20 years ago, my Class C was new and paid about $70k. Didn't give it a second thought driving S. solo. Dozens of R/T's later, never had a problem.

Question is where are you hanging? Hgwy 19 through Pescadero has newer MB's driving through every day.

You NEED an alarm on your truck.

Relax.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
akmccowen

[*] posted on 9-25-2021 at 06:23 PM

Thanks, all! Very helpful. I appreciate the insight. Looking forward to our first trip!
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2021 at 08:55 PM

Hola amigos-

We're planning our first trip to Baja and were going to do so in our 2018 Ford F-150 pulling a new travel trailer. Our truck is slightly lifted with nice wheels and the combo of our truck and trailer is pretty eye catching. While doing our research on this forum, we've read that it's unwise to bring any vehicle over $30,000 over the border. Our Mexican friends say the same thing. Reaching out to the Baja campers out there to see what thoughts you have. Given what we've read about the recent car jackings south of San Felipe, are we just asking for trouble? Am I naïve to think that there are nice RV's on those roads all the time? Whaddaya think?

The trucks stolen on hwy 5 in August. Were a 2008 Toyota four runner and a 2007 Toyota Tacoma both worth about 12k to 15 k. Price of your rig is not THE factor. The main factor is being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 9-26-2021 at 07:51 AM

It's not so much about the current value of your rig but what you do when south of the border; where you go, where you camp, etc. Flashing a lot of cash or bling in bars/restaurants probably doesn't help and avoid getting really drunk/high in public places.

I would do a bit of research into where you are planning to stop overnight/camp as some popular places that used to be safe a few years ago have become a targeted area for thieves. If you are planning to camp anywhere here around San Quintin I can give you some good recommendations.

Right now I am advising my friends/family to avoid the Mex5 south of San Felipe if you can - especially south of Puertecitos as there is a long stretch of nothing and nobody to help you in case of a breakdown or worse. A military checkpoint there has been mostly unmanned of late and the Guardia Nacional doesn't patrol there much which is probably what led to a recent carjacking of 3 rigs along that stretch a few weeks ago. They were caravanning together in broad daylight.

It's not so much about what you are driving down here but what you do. A vehicle alarm won't help much in a really remote area but a big dog or even better 2, often do.

Plan your trip route out including your stops BEFORE you go, keep your family together and avoid putting yourself into vulnerable situations.

Doing so will greatly increase the odds of your having a safe and fun trip...

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2021 at 05:06 PM

We are headed down for Christmas and our trailer alone is 3x that amount but most people would have no idea. As stated above I think how you act out and bout is more important then what you are driving. Avoid night driving and some areas and you should be fine.
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 07:43 AM

I've always thought before I even made my first road trip to Baja "go there only with something you can afford to lose, including your life". I'm talking about beach/camp hopping offroading up and down the peninsula, not flying to the airport and driving to your house. Of course nowadays, that applies to almost everywhere. But who am I to say, I'm just a carefree risk-aware sob :-).

I don't know for sure if many people agree when I say Baja road tripping is not for the faint of heart. But it has rewards/value that are very important to those of us who do.

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-19-2022 at 04:45 PM

There is now an SOS box ar the restaurant near the HWY1 & 5 intersection. It’s located in front of the old location next door. Someone said that they were adding one at Coco’s new location too!

I would definitely add LA Bay and it’s access road to the avoid at all times list!

01962EB7-1810-4454-8191-65A3A180644D.jpeg - 66kB
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2022 at 08:38 AM

My only comment other than practicing situational awareness at all times, is I would advise that you be a practiced driver with the trailer. Although the highways are mostly paved, they are narrow. Oncoming trucks and busses seem to be much larger than you ever thought, and in some areas there are NO shoulders to make you feel safer. Not saying to not go, go and have the time of your life, Baja is wonderful, but just be aware, and take care.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2022 at 12:49 PM

Re RVing: Passing a semi or having one pass you is a harrowing experience. Take a breath, tighten grip on wheel, lock arms. Don't get pushed off the road.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2022 at 06:31 AM

Practice and develop awareness of exactly where the right side tires are relative to where the pavement stops.
This is important primary where there is no shoulder.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2022 at 07:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Practice and develop awareness of exactly where the right side tires are relative to where the pavement stops.
This is important primary where there is no shoulder.

0F16EC86-5EA3-4F83-BCF5-8A80C9AEB7CC.jpeg - 192kB
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2022 at 08:56 AM

Good photo!

It's close isn't it? About 80 - 100 mph closing speed. I touched mirrors once. Just barely touched but the glass disintigrated, poof, gone, the mirror frame was OK.

We no longer drive a tow vehicle. The travel trailer stays south and we "commute" in a mid-sized SUV. Easy and fast.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-21-2022 at 09:05 AM

The Baja School of big rig and RV driving has turned out some incredible drivers! Unfortunately, it is a Darwinian type of pass/fail school, with little white crosses along the road marking some of the student failures.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-21-2022 at 09:31 AM

SH&F

The closing speed is closer to 200 - 240Kph! Practical experience! I drove a class A down HWY1 once. That was more than enough!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.